PDA

View Full Version : Verizon iPhone on 1.11.11

pharding
01-07-2011, 09:31 PM
On the auspicious date of 1.11.11, Apple and Verizon will reportedly announce the Verizon iPhone. Finally one will be able to get the best phone on the best network. Hopefully it will be available in the uber awesome white variant. pharding will be one of the first to order one. As luck would have it, the lease on my Blackberry ended on 12.15.10. The BMW snap in cradle for the iPhone 4 is rumored to be out on 1.15.11. Life is good.

Kar Don
01-07-2011, 09:59 PM
we'll see, this is only like the 10th time they thought they were announcing the iphone on verizon. I have mine on ATT and it's fine.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-07-2011, 10:14 PM
This is great news if it is true. I have been struggling with a Blackberry notwithstanding that it has outgrown my needs because it is on the Verizon network. In February, I become eligible for an early upgrade and was planning on getting the Droid X. If the iPhone is available with Verizon at that time, I will have to rethink which phone to get. Interestingly, some people have told me that the Droid X is the best phone they have ever had (even better than the iPhone), but I do not know for sure which phone is superior having used neither.

Kar Don
01-07-2011, 10:16 PM
I have the iphone 4 and have used the droid x. I still find the iphone to be more stable and more user friendly than the droid.

EvolutionTheory
01-08-2011, 02:28 AM
There is no longer a rumor of the iphone going to verizon, this is a fact. The rumor is now when. A huge number of sources are suggesting Tuesday it will be announced but not sure when it'd actually go on sale.

The Droid phones have much better technology than iphone but their interfaces are more complicated and the app store aps are much buggier/can be malicious.

The iphone doesn't compete hardware wise with Droids but it beats them in interface and app store. The app store is what makes the iphone 4, that and its screen but newer Droids are now getting similar screens.

Stability + Convenience = iPhone
Latest Hardware = Droid

Essentially.

Not to mention the iphone's integration with present and future BMW's.

wsjoseph
01-08-2011, 06:03 AM
I stubbornly held on to my basic clamshell phone for years waiting for the Verizon iPhone. I finally got tired of all of the rumors that did not come true, bit the bullet and picked up a HTC Droid Incredible when it first came out. Now I wonder how I did without a smartphone for all of those years.

I do believe that Verizon will finally get the iPhone, and soon (whether it is next week or not, I wouldn't know). What to do? The Incredible is great. The only negative is the lousy battery life. Heck, you even get Angry Birds for free...something you have to pay for on the iPhone! But the front facing camera, the extended battery life, the app store and the need to not have to carry my iTouch for music and audiobooks, and the ability to integrate it into the Bimmer makes it attractive.

Ah, decisions, decisions...:dunno:

Needsdecaf
01-08-2011, 07:13 AM
This is great news if it is true. I have been struggling with a Blackberry notwithstanding that it has outgrown my needs because it is on the Verizon network. In February, I become eligible for an early upgrade and was planning on getting the Droid X. If the iPhone is available with Verizon at that time, I will have to rethink which phone to get. Interestingly, some people have told me that the Droid X is the best phone they have ever had (even better than the iPhone), but I do not know for sure which phone is superior having used neither.

The Droid X Rocks.

B-1 Pilot
01-08-2011, 07:17 AM
This is all but gauranteed on the announcement date... many in the know blogs and media are invited to the event (someting verizon has next to never done)

it will probably be on sale some time 2-3 weeks after. Apple put a vacation time blackout for its employees from like the23rd of Jan to the the second week of february. Also they are still retaining many of their holiday season hires for some reason.

Enjoy the iPhone... I have loved all of my variants of it. As I say there are iPhone users, and those who havent owned on yet.

nealh
01-08-2011, 07:17 AM
AT&T network in Tampa is fantastic and at least equal to Verizon. My overall experience is AT&T cs is better than Verizon.

I have had Verizon, sprint and AT&T. I have been most happy with AT&T. Watch for issues if verizons network gets overloaded with iPhones. I bet the botching starts fast and furious

pharding
01-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Here in Chicago Verizon will penetrate into most buildings that At+T can't reach into.

If the announcement is made on Tuesday when can I most likely place an order? Where can I place an order and get it the quickest? Thanks.

SARAFIL
01-08-2011, 08:26 AM
If the announcement is made on Tuesday when can I most likely place an order? Where can I place an order and get it the quickest? Thanks.

I have ordered my last 3 iPhones directly from Apple. I went on the first day orders were available and had the phone shipped to my house the day they were released. It is by far the easiest way-- you miss the chaos at the Apple store or AT&T store. I'm not sure if you need to make a trip to Verizon to activate the phone, though-- I know that with AT&T, I could activate it from home.

Emilner
01-08-2011, 08:38 AM
The iphone doesn't compete hardware wise with Droids but it beats them in interface and app store. The app store is what makes the iphone 4, that and its screen but newer Droids are now getting similar screens.

Stability + Convenience = iPhone
Latest Hardware = Droid

Just curious- Which part of the iPhone's hardware is not on par or better than most if not all Droids? It's 1ghz processor, 512mps of RAM? It's retina display? Did you get that backwards? Most people complain of the iPhone's locked down software (the software is the best part of the iPhone IMHO).

I was out to lunch with a friend the other day when he was trying to look up a legal document online with his Droid. After a minute of "come on, come on" "damn freezing" (while watching his very rudimentary touch screen interface which does not move and expand pages with the fluid motion of an iPhone) I found and pulled up the document on my 4 in 10-15 seconds which prompted a wow from my friend.

As far as the iPhone going to Verizon. THANK GOD! Now Verizon can get all locked up as millions flood their network and I will get even better speeds. On Long Island AT&T blows away Verizon for reception in many areas....

alex md
01-08-2011, 08:45 AM
I was wondering if i-phone for verizon will be global ready
since it based on CDMA chip do u think they will make sim card and GSM ready/
thanks

Bunky
01-08-2011, 09:34 AM
I actually was in an Apple Store Monday buying a new iPhone 4 for my wife and a new MBP for work, and I asked some of the people working there about the iPhone going to Verizon early in this first quarter of 2011. Many seemed to think that the cost of designing a different iPhone for Verizon's network (CMDA) wouldn't be worth it if our government is able to push through a universal network type for all cellular companies that could be agreed on (I think they said it was (?) LTE) in the near future where yet another iPhone would have to be designed to run on it. Have no idea if there is any truth to this.

So..... I'm very interested to see what is going to happen on 1/11/11!! Like some of you above about your cities, I have no problem with AT&T in Minneapolis, so if Verizon does announce an iPhone for their network, I'll be sitting tight while the gazelles run to Verizon (and rightly so if their AT&T coverage is bad where they live), and I bet my service will get even better with the off-loading of a ton of users from AT&Ts network. :bigpimp:

B-1 Pilot
01-08-2011, 10:26 AM
I have ordered my last 3 iPhones directly from Apple. I went on the first day orders were available and had the phone shipped to my house the day they were released. It is by far the easiest way-- you miss the chaos at the Apple store or AT&T store. I'm not sure if you need to make a trip to Verizon to activate the phone, though-- I know that with AT&T, I could activate it from home.

This is my suggestion as well... order direct from apple (my guess is it will be available on their website with 10 minutes of the announcement; thats kind of their standard business model)... they overnight it to be at your house (or business) the same day they are available from the store... attach to itunes enabled computer and go through about a 5 minute activation process and voila.

if you use apple / google/ outlook for contacts and calendars there are more tricks to getting it synched, but the amazing thing about iphones is that a full backup exists on your computer so if its ever lost/damaged/etc it can be fully and quickly replicated. Consider buying with a credit card that has a accident/theft insurance or look into the squaretrade warranty just in case for the possible droppage (I am clumsy and these things are so small and slick its easy to do). If you are really worried, check out www.zagg.com for their tough shields -- by far the best screen protection out there.

Cheers!

nyranger74
01-08-2011, 11:03 AM
The Iphone for Verizon is rumored to have a SIM card. Its doubtful it will be an LTE phone, but for LTE, it needs a SIM card. Anyways, I have the Iphone 4 for AT&T and I am very happy with it, so I won't be switching.

beashonda
01-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm interested to see how Verizon handles the extra volume. I switched to AT&T about 4 years ago because I wanted a smart phone and the choices Verizon had were just not that good. I've been with the iPhone since the beginning and love the device. Is it perfect? Nope, nothing is, but the user interface is one of the best out there. I have played with the Droid X and all I can say is "Eh........" yes, you can use it to stream music for Pandora, while you are using Google maps,etc. Screen resolution isn't as good as Apples. I would have gone with the Droid HTC, if I had wanted a Android phone.

My AT&T coverage is mediocre. Calls drop same spot every single day. Bad coverage in same spot every single day. There isn't a day that goes by I don't have a dropped call. Am I going to go back to Verizon? Probably when Verizon goes from CDMS to LTE. Everyone will have to get a new phone at that time anyway.

For now, the iPhone integration with the BMW is excellent.

markl53
01-08-2011, 12:25 PM
On the auspicious date of 1.11.11, Apple and Verizon will reportedly announce the Verizon iPhone.

Well if they miss that date, there's always 11/11/11 :). (Of course we already passed 1/1/11).

Emilner
01-08-2011, 02:41 PM
yes, you can use it to stream music for Pandora, while you are using Google maps,etc.

You can do that on the iPhone 4. While streaming Pandora hold down the home button for 1.5 seconds and then pick the other app you want to use. The 4 has full multitasking....

pony_trekker
01-08-2011, 06:33 PM
I have mine on ATT and it's fine.

Except for making phone calls.

I have yet to make a single phone call from Manhattan that hasn't dropped.

baloo588
01-08-2011, 06:43 PM
I prefer Android phones. More customizable, faster processor, 4G, cool looking phones and not same looking like iphone and have bigger screens, and more innovative! The user interface difference between android and iphone is nil now according to latest reviews and from my experiences.

SRB7787
01-09-2011, 07:16 AM
On the auspicious date of 1.11.11, Apple and Verizon will reportedly announce the Verizon iPhone. Finally one will be able to get the best phone on the best network. Hopefully it will be available in the uber awesome white variant. pharding will be one of the first to order one. As luck would have it, the lease on my Blackberry ended on 12.15.10. The BMW snap in cradle for the iPhone 4 is rumored to be out on 1.15.11. Life is good.
Verizon may get the Iphone in the next few months but it won't be in white. In fact the white Iphone 4 has been scrapped. Sorry.

-=Hot|Ice=-
01-09-2011, 07:21 AM
I can assure you the iphone is not the best phone.

dalekressin
01-09-2011, 07:25 AM
And we will push Pharding for continual updates because I have verizon and my contract is up so I do to switch out my old time razor.

Aside note .... aren't verizon to verizon calls "No charge"? :dunno:
Anyone interest is having a verizon phone list ...Pharding? Just a thought. :)

dalekressin
01-09-2011, 07:31 AM
iPhone vs Droid X ..... I'm looking to learn the benefits or pros/cons of each.
Ar smart phones smart?

pharding
01-09-2011, 07:37 AM
I intend to be one of the first out of the box to get the iPhone. I will keep everyone posted.

PropellerHead
01-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Aside note .... aren't verizon to verizon calls "No charge"? :dunno:I just (1/7/2010) got a new VZW contract that allows *all* mobile to mobile calls on *any* network free. It was supposed to end on 12/31, but they extended it to 2/6. I was on ATT along with my wife, her iPhone and another family member.

All it took was one look at the Samsung Galaxy variant and she was ready for the switch from iPhone. The Samsung OLED screen next to the iPhone and she was hooked. The Samsung's side x side dramatically faster rendering (and retrieval) of Google maps, screen swipes, and yes, incredible screen brightness and clarity was all I needed. We compared the Samsung, Droid Incredible, X, and a couple others in the Best Buy with the phones right next to each other. You should, too.

We ordered them both from a major US retailer. All I did was search for 'best Samsung Galaxy deal.' No fixed price by Apple, multiple carrier choices. It was not Best Buy or Costco, or the VZW store directly, but just one of the HUNDREDS of options available to ensure competition. They were $80 each with a 2 yr plan. They showed up the next day and we ported the numbers (3 phones) in about 20 mins. Could not be easier. VZW customer service was so good that I got the tech's name and was connected to their manager to express my extreme satisfaction.

After 6 years with ATT, I missed the coverage and lack of dropped calls I once enjoyed with VZW. The phones have been rock solid and my wife hasn't looked back to her iPhone.

tim-atl
01-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Here are some interesting hot off the press statistics, it will be very interesting to see what the vzw deal does for iphone penetration.

I own an iPhone and AT&T service is great in the Metro Atlanta area, I also have a T-Mobile phone (and previous to that a Sprint) that drop calls on my commute home in very predictable areas. I'm not really loyal to any carrier or phone and will probably get a android based tablet when the stuff showcased at ces hits the street. I imagine there will be no shortage of rim playbooks at work as well (when they are released later this year).

I usually check in with the family on my way home and was thinking of one of these (http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=673), together with a 4th gen ipod touch in the car for skype video (video was added last month to the ios version of skpye). Since I have a 3G usb data dongle from work it wouldn't cost me any recurring monthly charges.

ya, I have a problem with gadgets and technology. None of the 12 step programs have seemed to work.

Here's a guy who put's his HTC on a LR's Nav, very doable for us as well:

="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etztEqrU6Mg"

Tim

pharding
01-09-2011, 04:22 PM
From the New York Times

Verizon Is Said to Be Planning to Announce iPhone 4 on Its Network
By MIGUEL HELFT
Published: January 7, 2011

SAN FRANCISCO ***8212; Verizon Wireless plans to announce on Tuesday that it will soon begin selling Apple***8217;s iPhone 4, according to a person with direct knowledge of the plans.

The long-expected arrival of the iPhone on Verizon will end years of exclusivity for AT&T and is likely to upend the smartphone market in the United States.

It is not clear how soon after the announcement, which will be made in New York, the phone will be available for sale.

On Friday afternoon, Verizon invited reporters to a news conference on Tuesday morning at Lincoln Center in Manhattan. The company did not say what it planned to announce, but given the timing less than a week after top Verizon executives gave a keynote speech at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, speculation in tech circles was rampant that Verizon would announce that it would begin selling the iPhone.

Verizon***8217;s intentions to unveil an iPhone running on the company***8217;s CDMA network early this year have long been known. The person with direct knowledge of the event, who declined to be named because plans for it were supposed to be confidential, said the company would do so at the Tuesday event, which will be headlined by Lowell McAdam, Verizon***8217;s president.

A spokesman for Verizon Wireless declined to comment. A spokeswoman for Apple declined to comment.

While the iPhone remains the best-selling smartphone in the United States, many handset makers sell devices running Google***8217;s Android software. Collectively, those devices outsell the iPhone.

Consumer surveys suggest that demand for a Verizon iPhone would be large, as many people have held off from buying an iPhone simply to avoid AT&T***8217;s much-publicized network problems, which include spotty coverage and dropped calls.

A Verizon iPhone could help sell millions of new devices, continuing the iPhone***8217;s strong momentum. It may also become an obstacle to the rapid rise of Android devices, most of which are sold by Verizon Wireless.

***8220;It will significantly shift the power again toward Apple,***8221; said Roger Entner, a telecommunications industry analyst with Recon Analytics. Mr. Entner said that in other countries where the iPhone added new carriers, including Britain, Apple***8217;s market share rose sharply.

***8220;Apple will significantly blunt the growth of Android,***8221; he said.

Any shift toward the iPhone could be slowed by long-term contracts that may keep some customers from switching.

Customers ***8220;will not switch the first day,***8221; said Charles Wolf, an analyst with Needham & Company. ***8220;It is going to take two years before everyone is out of a contract, but the shift will be dramatic,***8221; Mr. Wolf said.