PDA

View Full Version : E60 535i vs. F10 535i

jzcrna
01-08-2011, 06:33 AM
I just wondered if anyone noticed a huge difference in performance between the two generations. My E60 535i had the perfect amount of power, but I am concerned about the weight gain. I pretty much have set my sights on a 550i for this reason, but I wanted to know what some thoughts were.

laser
01-08-2011, 07:01 AM
If you thought your E60 535i was power perfect you might find the F10 version even better.

To me the feel of the F10 535i quickness in city / freeway on ramp acceleration is more responsive and faster than my E60, I think because of how well the 8 spd AT is mated to the engine.

You can't punch this car and not run up one someone's bumper or touch 90 mph on the freeway in a matter of a few seconds. Thank goodness for the big brakes!

I would never dis the V8 but to me the 550i's I drove felt just a little more ponderous in hard cornering ........ it's also comforting to think about 30 mpg cruising at 80 on a long highway trip.

One of those "just drive em both" as much as you can in your backyard to see what feels best. Two good choices!

jzcrna
01-08-2011, 07:14 AM
If you thought your E60 535i was power perfect you might find the F10 version even better.

To me the feel of the F10 535i quickness in city / freeway on ramp acceleration is more responsive and faster than my E60, I think because of how well the 8 spd AT is mated to the engine.

You can't punch this car and not run up one someone's bumper or touch 90 mph on the freeway in a matter of a few seconds. Thank goodness for the big brakes!

I would never dis the V8 but to me the 550i's I drove felt just a little more ponderous in hard cornering ........ it's also comforting to think about 30 mpg cruising at 80 on a long highway trip.

One of those "just drive em both" as much as you can in your backyard to see what feels best. Two good choices!

Wow, very much appreciated. I did not expect to hear that the performance was better. And you are getting 30 mpg at 80mph? I live in Florida and 80mph is my most common speed when driving. I was lucky to get 26 mpg in my E60.

Your description of the ponderous cornering is also helpful. Having gobs of power is one thing, but being able to use it comfortably in every day driving is another.

Looks like I have a lot of test-driving to do. :thumbup:

highyo
01-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Wow, very much appreciated. I did not expect to hear that the performance was better. And you are getting 30 mpg at 80mph? I live in Florida and 80mph is my most common speed when driving. I was lucky to get 26 mpg in my E60.

Your description of the ponderous cornering is also helpful. Having gobs of power is one thing, but being able to use it comfortably in every day driving is another.

Looks like I have a lot of test-driving to do. :thumbup:

i'm of course unbiased in my opinion, like everyone else here :) but i swapped out of my e60 535i for the new 550i. it does not feel ponderous, not sure weight is that much different, and the engine is an absolute gem. it feels bigger than the e60 and less "darty", but i have ZERO regrets about the step up to the 4.4. i would not expect the performance to be similar from 535i to 535i given weight gain etc. the e60 was more sporty. i just added much more power to a bigger base. and the engine noises, the exhaust look, and the power make me smile. EVERY DAY. not to offend anyone, but when i take that car from 45 to 80 in merging or passing situations, it makes me want to invade Poland.

i also think the previous poster's opinion about power being better in the F10 will be in the minority. i believe that independent testing bears that out

jsf1993
01-08-2011, 07:33 AM
I just wondered if anyone noticed a huge difference in performance between the two generations. My E60 535i had the perfect amount of power, but I am concerned about the weight gain. I pretty much have set my sights on a 550i for this reason, but I wanted to know what some thoughts were.

I owned the 535xi version of the E60 and now own the same version of the F10. The F10 is a bit heavier than the E60 and you'll also notice that it is a bit bigger. The steering feel is lighter and, overall, the F10 will not feel as nimble as the E60, especially if you don't order some of the performance enhancing options for the F10 (dynamic handling, etc). Having said that, the 8 speed transmission on the newer car and the better torque of the engine at lower rpm's ensure that the F10 will feel spry and quick off of the line. I also believe that the new F10 handles better when fully optioned out with the performance options, and corners especially flat when compared to the E60.

Regardless, the feel of the car is different from the feel of the E60 model. You are likely to miss some of the road feel that you presently experience in the E60. But, within a few minutes/hours/days, the incredible refinement of the F10 will quickly win you over and you'll become a big fan like most of the rest of us.

The 550i is a great car, but the real difference in performance between the 535 and the 550 is noticed when accelerating to higher speeds FROM 80 mph. (Check out the differences in acceleration time between the 535 and 550 from 80mph to 120 mph. They're VERY impressive.) Most of us in the USA don't get the chance to experience that very often. It's an Autobahn screamer, however.

Hoss NY
01-08-2011, 07:34 AM
...when i take that car from 45 to 80 in merging or passing situations, it makes me want to invade Poland.

:rofl: Excellent! :rofl:

highyo
01-08-2011, 07:42 AM
I owned the 535xi version of the E60 and now own the same version of the F10. The F10 is a bit heavier than the E60 and you'll also notice that it is a bit bigger. The steering feel is lighter and, overall, the F10 will not feel as nimble as the E60, especially if you don't order some of the performance enhancing options for the F10 (dynamic handling, etc). Having said that, the 8 speed transmission on the newer car and the better torque of the engine at lower rpm's ensure that the F10 will feel spry and quick off of the line. I also believe that the new F10 handles better when fully optioned out with the performance options, and corners especially flat when compared to the E60.

Regardless, the feel of the car is different from the feel of the E60 model. You are likely to miss some of the road feel that you presently experience in the E60. But, within a few minutes/hours/days, the incredible refinement of the F10 will quickly win you over and you'll become a big fan like most of the rest of us.

The 550i is a great car, but the real difference in performance between the 535 and the 550 is noticed when accelerating to higher speeds FROM 80 mph. (Check out the differences in acceleration time between the 535 and 550 from 80mph to 120 mph. They're VERY impressive.) Most of us in the USA don't get the chance to experience that very often. It's an Autobahn screamer, however.

this is a good post, was not aware about 80 to 120 times being better than the 550i. but that's just asking for trouble unless you have valentine/passport AND laser shifting here in the US!

jsf1993
01-08-2011, 07:48 AM
this is a good post, was not aware about 80 to 120 times being better than the 550i. but that's just asking for trouble unless you have valentine/passport AND laser shifting here in the US!

Highyo: I think that my post may have been misunderstood. The 550i is MUCH faster than the 535i when accelerating above 80 mph.

highyo
01-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Highyo: I think that my post may have been misunderstood. The 550i is MUCH faster than the 535i when accelerating above 80 mph.

ahh i misunderstood you. another feather in my cap! i have to take this thing to Germany!