PDA

View Full Version : Metallic Colors More or Less Susceptible to Swirl Marks?

elchevere
01-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Greetings:

Have a Carbon Black on order for March delivery. Are the metallic colors more or less susceptible to swirl marks, especially when most dealers who prep the cars use machines--not hand--to wax cars before turning over to customers.....I had a Jet Black (non-metallic) 535 a few years back that had swirl marks put on them by the dealer when they were prepping the vehicle that were nearly impossible to get out.

johnbmw6
01-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Black is the worst colour for paint swirls, avoid it if you can, Space Grey is a good one along with Titanium Silver.:angel:

ksoze
01-08-2011, 10:34 AM
I think all cars all susceptible to swirl marks, the question is which show it less. Many metallic cars can better mask the marks in various lightning conditions than a dark base color, such as Jet Black. An earlier Jet black 540i I had showed swirl marks from day one, but my E46 Imola Red M3 masked them great.

markl53
01-08-2011, 11:11 AM
I think all cars all susceptible to swirl marks, the question is which show it less. Many metallic cars can better mask the marks in various lightning conditions than a dark base color, such as Jet Black.

+1. And to elchevere, I've taken delivery of 3 Black Sapphire metallic BMW's and my dealer has never scratched them. Maybe a couple of fine scratches here and there, but certainly not a car full of swirl marks. Your dealer is not using proper procedures, IMO, to prep their cars. In fact, I'm not sure they're supposed to do any heavy-duty finish work on a brand new car, like using a machine buffer.

elchevere
01-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks...I'm getting this new car in March from a new dealer....the one that did have the swirl marks was from an OC dealer and they did use a machine buffer--I wanted to crack them over the head.

markl53
01-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks...I'm getting this new car in March from a new dealer....the one that did have the swirl marks was from an OC dealer and they did use a machine buffer--I wanted to crack them over the head.

Good luck, Carbon Black should look great. What's your interior color?

elchevere
01-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Oyster Black Nappa....this represents a change for me--I've always been a Jet Black/Black, but I saw this combination at Hassel BMW in NY over Thanksgiving and the combination with the Carbon Black looked sensational.

markl53
01-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Oyster Black Nappa....this represents a change for me--I've always been a Jet Black/Black, but I saw this combination at Hassel BMW in NY over Thanksgiving and the combination with the Carbon Black looked sensational.

That should look great. I have Cinnamon in my Black Sapphire and I think that would also look good with CB. I think someone recently posted pictures here of their new 5 in your color combo.

Munich77
01-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Black colors are the worst at showing swirl marks. I think all paint is likely to show swirl marks - just different colors show it differently. Black is the worst. I have space grey on my E60 and it hardly shows swirls.

melor
01-08-2011, 01:18 PM
I have a jet black rental car in my garage right now. BEAUTIFUL! I ran the soft tip of my finger - not my nail - across the paint. It left a small scratch in the surface. The scratch buffed out easily, but if the scratch was a little deeper? Glad it is a rental. My next BMW is likely to be space gray... again...

Paul

markl53
01-08-2011, 01:21 PM
I have a jet black rental car in my garage right now. BEAUTIFUL! I ran the soft tip of my finger - not my nail - across the paint. It left a small scratch in the surface. The scratch buffed out easily, but if the scratch was a little deeper? Glad it is a rental. My next BMW is likely to be space gray... again...

And that's what I'm saying in another thread about car washing. Anyway, I have found that BMW and M-B paints seem to be less durable than some other nationality cars (American, Japanese) and are pretty easy to scratch. I'm sure Space Gray acts the same way, the swirls may be hidden a little more. Sunlight will probably make them just as visible, IMO.

Needsdecaf
01-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Flat DEFINITELY shows swirls worse. Flat black is the absolute worst. Take it from someone who used to detail cars back in the day.

johnbmw6
01-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Black colors are the worst at showing swirl marks. I think all paint is likely to show swirl marks - just different colors show it differently. Black is the worst. I have space grey on my E60 and it hardly shows swirls.
Agree I had a Black RS6, nightmare for swirls, I have opted for Space Grey 550i MS. Coming next week they say.:confused:

rcoverston
01-10-2011, 06:03 PM

Which OC dealer did you use? Got my Dark Graphite Metallic back from service (Sterling) and it had hazy marks down the entire side, looks like faint swirl marks :mad: But previous service on my wife's 128 with Black Sapphire Metallic looked great upon pickup

elchevere
01-10-2011, 06:05 PM
different one-- north of your dealer and right off the 55 freeway....though that was back in 2005.

rcoverston
01-10-2011, 06:15 PM
different one-- north of your dealer and right off the 55 freeway....though that was back in 2005.

i know them as well. Thanks for the info! Glad it isn't our dealer of choice.

elchevere
01-10-2011, 07:50 PM
In advance of picking up my next car in March, I will tell them no detailing or prepping with machine--hand only.