PDA

View Full Version : Center Console Scratches

Bunky
01-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Anyone else notice how easily the center console gloss can get scratched? :( I have a few fine scratches (my wife denies being the culprit) that look like pieces of hair. Anyone know how to remove them or buff them out with a polish of some sort?

bmwarchitect
01-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Anyone else notice how easy the center console gloss can get scratched? :( I have a few fine scratches (my wife denies being the culprit) that look like pieces of hair. Anyone know how to remove them or buff them out with a polish of some sort?

Someone on the forum posted on this if I recall. Try a search for the subject.

markl53
01-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Just FYI, when cleaning the wood surfaces, never use a dry wiper. And never use a paper towel, even damp. Use a damp cotton towel to avoid scratches. My wife's fake wood console area is pretty scratched up from her wiping it dry.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-08-2011, 11:37 AM
If you go to Lenscrafter (or a similar store), a special eyeglass cleaner is usually sold, together with special paper towels that do not leave much lint and which I presume do not cause scratch marks. I recently used these products to clean my wood trim and NAV display and they seemed to work quite well. I also used the paper towels with an alcohol based interior cleaner to clean the inside plastic parts of my vehicle. It worker pretty well but some of the more difficult marks would not come off the beige interior. Any suggestions on an alternative plastic cleaner or are marks on beige a fact of life?

markl53
01-08-2011, 11:52 AM
If you go to Lenscrafter (or a similar store), a special eyeglass cleaner is usually sold, together with special paper towels that do not leave much lint and which I presume do not cause scratch marks. I recently used these products to clean my wood trim and NAV display and they seemed to work quite well. I also used the paper towels with an alcohol based interior cleaner to clean the inside plastic parts of my vehicle. It worker pretty well but some of the more difficult marks would not come off the beige interior. Any suggestions on an alternative plastic cleaner or are marks on beige a fact of life?

Sorry, can't help with specific cleaners. But I know that quality lens makers (eyeglasses, camera lenses, etc.) state never to use paper products, except specific lens papers. The wood fibers in regular type paper towels may scratch delicate surfaces. I don't use paper towels on any vehicle surfaces except windows.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Sorry, can't help with specific cleaners. But I know that quality lens makers (eyeglasses, camera lenses, etc.) state never to use paper products, except specific lens papers. The wood fibers in regular type paper towels may scratch delicate surfaces. I don't use paper towels on any vehicle surfaces except windows.

I checked the box and they are actually called "lens towels." The box further states that they are safe and effective on any lens or coating . . . also great for camera lenses, computer screens and binoculars. Looks like they are fine for use in the F10. Sorry for misleading everyone by calling them paper towels because apparently they are not.

markl53
01-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I checked the box and they are actually called "lens towels." The box further states that they are safe and effective on any lens or coating . . . also great for camera lenses, computer screens and binoculars. Looks like they are fine for use in the F10. Sorry for misleading everyone be calling them paper towels because apparently they are not.

Cool -- they're most likely fine. I was just saying, I think many people use paper towels for many things and I do too. In fact, I tell my wife we should own Bounty stock! I just learned that even though some regular paper towels can feel "soft", the pulp fibers may still scratch. I'm a fanatic when cleaning my camera lenses and now use microfiber cloths. Haven't gone that far in my car though :).

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Cool -- they're most likely fine. I was just saying, I think many people use paper towels for many things and I do too. In fact, I tell my wife we should own Bounty stock! I just learned that even though some regular paper towels can feel "soft", the pulp fibers may still scratch.

Agreed. Paper towels can scratch and they definitely leave lint. The lens towels and liquid cleaner are called "i series" and are sold at Lenscrafters. They work great on the interior of the F10, however, it is not a perfect solution because some lint is left behind. I also use this cleaning system on my Apple Lap Top because I find that it works better than the "i clear" sold at the Apple Store. The i clear liquid always seems to leave streaking on the computer screen and also does not seem to clean the screen as well.

ashushan
01-08-2011, 10:11 PM
I agree that the surface easily scratches. I have the anthracite wood, and the first time I vacuumed the car, I was pulling the hose for the vacuum from the drivers side, over the center console to vacuum the passenger side footwell, and noticed some fine scratches from the hose on the anthracite wood at the edge where the hose ran over. Definitely something you have to be careful about. I haven't been able to get rid of the scratches...does anyone know how to fix the scratches...not just what to clean the surfaces with to avoid scratches?
Thanks

bmwarchitect
01-09-2011, 06:18 AM
You might try this recent post provided by BATMAN75. A forum search on this topic brings up alot of info also. I haven't tried this yet, but will as my X5 center console has a scratch. You may need to copy and paste into web browser if link does not work.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=wood+trim

Bunky
01-09-2011, 10:37 AM
I agree that the surface easily scratches. I have the anthracite wood, and the first time I vacuumed the car, I was pulling the hose for the vacuum from the drivers side, over the center console to vacuum the passenger side footwell, and noticed some fine scratches from the hose on the anthracite wood at the edge where the hose ran over. Definitely something you have to be careful about. I haven't been able to get rid of the scratches...does anyone know how to fix the scratches...not just what to clean the surfaces with to avoid scratches?
Thanks

Yes, ashushan, that was my original question.... thanks for pulling us back. :) I also noticed that with the vacuum hose as I got a tiny scratch on the edge of the center console by the ash tray, and then never crossed over again. Someone will answer here for us.

Bunky
01-09-2011, 10:40 AM
You might try this recent post provided by BATMAN75. A forum search on this topic brings up alot of info also. I haven't tried this yet, but will as my X5 center console has a scratch. You may need to copy and paste into web browser if link does not work.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=wood+trim

Clicked on the link, and it couldn't be found. I did a brief search yesterday and didn't come up with anything specifically about removing scratches. I didn't search for cleaning advice, however; maybe something could be found there.

TJPark01
01-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Anytime you clean plastic interior trim you should use a water based product that is made for that and certainly not anything containing alcohol, as it is way to strong, and can discolor your trim. I would try Quick Interior Detailer from Meguiars. Then go with something more aggressive like PlastiX for tryng to remove scratches from the wood areas. For anything with clear hard plastic like Nav screen or headlights, go with Plexus and a microfiber towel. The plexus creates a electrostatic charge that repels dust and dirt.

bmwarchitect
01-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Clicked on the link, and it couldn't be found. I did a brief search yesterday and didn't come up with anything specifically about removing scratches. I didn't search for cleaning advice, however; maybe something could be found there.

This is the orignianl post name. Try searching for it.

"Swirl marks on fineline anthracite trim"

Stealth.Pilot
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Anyone else notice how easy the center console gloss can get scratched? :( I have a few fine scratches (my wife denies being the culprit) that look like pieces of hair. Anyone know how to remove them or buff them out with a polish of some sort?

Yes. The woodtrim is coated in clearcoat just like the exterior bodywork. You need a mild polishing compound to take out the scratches.

I would suggest Swissvax cleaner fluid mild or medium to remove the scratches, followed by Swissvax wood wax to add some protection. Use a clean microfiber pad and do it by hand.

Bunky
01-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Yes. The woodtrim is coated in clearcoat just like the exterior bodywork. You need a mild polishing compound to take out the scratches.

I would suggest Swissvax cleaner fluid mild or medium to remove the scratches, followed by Swissvax wood wax to add some protection. Use a clean microfiber pad and do it by hand.

Thanks!!

highyo
01-09-2011, 07:17 PM

Isnt swissvax for paint jobs?

Rafa
01-09-2011, 07:25 PM

I use Meguiars liquid wax to put some shine on the clearcoat and give it some protection against minor scratches. I apply it with a microfibef towel, and it works well for me.

highyo
01-09-2011, 08:05 PM
I use Meguiars liquid wax to put some shine on the clearcoat and give it some protection against minor scratches. I apply it with a microfibef towel, and it works well for me.

Yes but what about for scratches that are already on the console?

Rafa
01-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Yes but what about for scratches that are already on the console?

Fortunately, I still have not scratched the clearcoat on the console; I am very careful about placing any items on the console and when cleaning the car's interior. If I get scratches, I will go with BATMAN75's suggestion:

Originally Posted by BATMAN75

highyo
01-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Fortunately, I still have not scratched the clearcoat on the console; I am very careful about placing any items on the console and when cleaning the car's interior. If I get scratches, I will go with BATMAN75's suggestion:

Originally Posted by BATMAN75

Awesome

Stealth.Pilot
01-09-2011, 09:35 PM

Yeah but they have a complete line of products for paint and interior finishes. The wood wax is interior only. The cleaner fluid can be used to remove scratches interior and exterior since the interior panels are clearcoated just like the external paint.

ashushan
01-09-2011, 10:11 PM
I will have to try the Swiavax products...sounds promising!

Here is the link to anyone looking to order it - I think you have to order it from Swissvax directly.
Thanks everyone for the help!

http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=swissvax&Product_Code=SE1045010&Category_Code=INTERIOR-CARE

BimmerUKF10
01-10-2011, 01:27 AM

Yeah, but the wood on the centre console is a paint job! It is covered with clearcoat the same as the top layer of car paint. On the same basis, I'm not 100% convinced by the idea of using wood polish given the wood isn't exposed. Use car polish follows by wax!

Stealth.Pilot
05-24-2011, 02:54 PM
I have another idea on this - which I will try out next detail on my Lexus.

The issue is that the wood is coated in clearcoat, and clearcoat scratches when you rub dust over it or put stuff on it. The wood clearcoat seems particularly soft - it's not a ceramic clear like on the outside of the car.

I am considering putting either CQuartz or Opti-Coat on it. These are coatings which harden to a hardness that's slightly above the ceramic clearcoat used by Mercedes on the bodywork. In principle it should prevent scratches from day to day use.

May be a month or so before I implement this based on when my next detail cycle is.

ZuerstBMW
05-24-2011, 09:24 PM
I used Quixx on my E90 wood trim and it took it riight out.

tdepetra
05-25-2011, 04:36 AM
Klasse All in One works well on wood.