PDA

View Full Version : Sunshades v Tint

jpointe
01-08-2011, 10:05 AM
For those that have seen sunshades in person, how do they compare with tints?

Functionally, they probably achieve the same effect, but what about aesthetically?

I imagine tints have a cleaner, cooler look, but will sunshades be even close to producing that cool, dark "Knight Rider" effect?

I ask because I have a Dark Graphite 535xi on order with Premium 2, so I'm getting the sunshades. It would seem to be overkill to tint the windows as well, so if I leave the sunshades up for most of the time, will it be close to the desired effect? Of course, the edges around the shades will be clear and the front windows won't have anything, but I would be interested in your thoughts. It looks decent with the shades up on the BMWNA site, but if anyone has pictures of the shades up on their machine in real daylight, that would be great. Thanks!

blackhawk_pilot
01-08-2011, 12:27 PM
The shades are a nice alternative if you want to conserve the vehicle in it's original state. My passengers do complain at times that these shades are really not enough to keep the sun out and that tint is the way to go. I agree, however since I didn't have the option to get the back windshield dark from factory, I'm hesitant to get tint on it being that I don't know how the defroster is gonna mess with it.

Needsdecaf
01-08-2011, 12:35 PM
I have factory sunshades in my Volvo. I added them after, and would have done the tint knowing what I know now.

Having said that, if you're already getting them, they DO do a good job keeping the sun out, but they won't keep any heat out. And from the outside, they look pretty good, from about 5' away, they resemble a car with 50% tint.

So: keep sun out of your kid's eyes? Shades will do.

keep the car cool? Get it tinted.

jpointe
01-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Great, thanks guys. I guess I'll start with the shades and see if the coolness factor is satisfactory for me. It sounds like it's decent. That said, I'll do some research on after market v. dealership tints when the time comes...

TJPark01
01-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Great, thanks guys. I guess I'll start with the shades and see if the coolness factor is satisfactory for me. It sounds like it's decent. That said, I'll do some research on after market v. dealership tints when the time comes...

The tint looks better and is functional. The sunshades are supplemental. If you are in the city, you're not gonna get punished with sun year round, so it's likely more cosmetic for you than say someone who lives in Phoenix or LA.

Rafa
01-09-2011, 09:53 AM
I leave the sunshades up all the time (except for the rear power sunshade). I think the car looks better, but I also hope for some minimal protection from the sun as well as some cooling. Will there be any long term damage to the shades? Loss of elasticity perhaps?

TJPark01
01-09-2011, 09:59 AM
I leave the sunshades up all the time (except for the rear power sunshade). I think the car looks better, but I also hope for some minimal protection from the sun as well as some cooling. Will there be any long term damage to the shades? Loss of elasticity perhaps?

I thought window tint on a BMW was as mandatory in South FLA as a bikini wax?

jimefam
01-09-2011, 10:23 AM
I thought window tint on a BMW was as mandatory in South FLA as a bikini wax?

I grew up in Miami and trust me tint is absolutely necessary there. It gets much hotter than la and the leather seats are terrible if you don't have tint. I'm assuming he means in addition to tint because other wise he is pretty fearless.

Gator550
01-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I considered foregoing tint given the shades, but after a couple weeks of ownership, I decided i need to get the tinting done. For what its worth, my daughter has let me know that its too bright in the back seat even with the shades up - she's used to 30% in my old car.

jpointe
01-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Yea, I think for me, living in NorCal, it's more of an aesthetic than functional issue. Interesting question from Rafa. I'll probably just leave mine up for most of the time. Has anyone experienced issues with this?