PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Trim on Door Handles--Come with M-sport Package?

elchevere
01-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I noticed a 550 M-sport with aluminum trim on the door handles. Sales rep told me it's only available on the 550...is that true or is it available on a 535 if you order the M-sport package?....it's a nice detailed feature, especially with darker colors, and I have seen some 535's with this aluminum trim and some without...can someone please confirm.

EvolutionTheory
01-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I'd like to know this as well.

Erregend
01-08-2011, 04:59 PM
I think it is part of Ambiance Lighting option.

Build-Your-Own 535i shows it when Premium Package is selected,
or when Comfort Access is chosen. Both include Ambiance Lighting.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-08-2011, 05:00 PM
You can get the 535 M Sport with aluminum trim. Pictures have been posted on another thread that you might be able to find if you perform a search.

elchevere
01-08-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm NOT talking about the aluminum trim on the interior; I'm talking about the aluminum highlight on the outside door handles.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Sorry about that. I have reread your initial post and I stand corrected.

elchevere
01-08-2011, 05:17 PM
No problem...I saw a car with the aluminum trim (or highlight) on the door handles and one without and it really was a nice little touch....I am hoping that by ordering the M-sport option this feature will be included on my 535.

markl53
01-08-2011, 06:17 PM
No problem...I saw a car with the aluminum trim (or highlight) on the door handles and one without and it really was a nice little touch....I am hoping that by ordering the M-sport option this feature will be included on my 535.

If you mean the strip of chrome/aluminum in the center of the outer door handle, it comes on all models which include the premium 1 package. Yes, part of ambient lighting. You don't need M package to get it, my base 535i has it (I have P1).

elchevere
01-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Mark:

I ordered the M-sport package but did not order the Premium 1 Package--though I have certain components of this package on my order......do you think the trim on the handle will come with my car?

markl53
01-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Mark:

I ordered the M-sport package but did not order the Premium 1 Package--though I have certain components of this package on my order......do you think the trim on the handle will come with my car?

Unfortunately, I don't think so. What's interesting is that the multi-contour seats, part of the M package, force leather seat option for $1450. The total premium 1 package is priced at $1800 which includes the $1450 leather option. P1 would have only cost you an additional $350 for ambiance lighting, auto dimming mirrors and garage door opener. The perimeter lighting located in the exterior door handles is part of the ambiance package I believe, that's why the door handles are different. I don't know if your dealer explained the small difference in price by getting P1 with M pkg, but if not, it's kind of a shame.

elchevere
01-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Not only did he not explain that, but he was unaware the holiday rebate was good for 90 days (thought it was good for only 60 days) which is why he lost the deal to someone else promoted on this board....seems as though my car has been built...I don't suppose I can add the chrome after the fact....for only $350 the chrome and look is definitely worth it.

elchevere
01-08-2011, 06:41 PM
also, BMW CA at dealership I stopped by today to get lease end pre-inspection told me the chrome on door handles is only available on the 550's....would be nice if BMW trained their CA's more thoroughly so they know how the cars come equipped.

markl53
01-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Not only did he not explain that, but he was unaware the holiday rebate was good for 90 days (thought it was good for only 60 days) which is why he lost the deal to someone else promoted on this board....seems as though my car has been built...I don't suppose I can add the chrome after the fact....for only $350 the chrome and look is definitely worth it.

Well since you have the black exterior trim anyway (no crhome), the solid handles might look fine. You might be able to swap the handles, but those little handle lights might not work but the chrome would be there. In any event, I'm sure you'll love the car!

Erregend
01-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Mark:

Did you order Comfort Access option? If so, it DOES include Ambiance Lighting and you should get the handles.

elchevere
01-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Nope, did not order this option either. Following is my configuration:

M-Sport
IAS
Satellite
Parking Sensor Control
Upgraded Nappa Leather

I will wait to see how my car comes, but I have seen other 5 series cars without the chrome handles (to me, with a Carbon Black color they are a nice accent to the chrome M wheels)....if the car does not come with these handles, I will call the Parts department at a local dealership (maybe I'll do that first thing tomorrow) and see if these can be purchased. I'm not looking for these chrome handles for the ambient lighting feature--rather, purely cosmetics.

markl53
01-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Nope, did not order this option either. Following is my configuration:

M-Sport
IAS
Satellite
Parking Sensor Control
Upgraded Nappa Leather

I will wait to see how my car comes, but I have seen other 5 series cars without the chrome handles (to me, with a Carbon Black color they are a nice accent to the chrome M wheels)....if the car does not come with these handles, I will call the Parts department at a local dealership (maybe I'll do that first thing tomorrow) and see if these can be purchased. I'm not looking for these chrome handles for the ambient lighting feature--rather, purely cosmetics.

Again it's just weird that your SA didn't inform you of the small price of P1 with M pkg ($350). You also won't have dimming mirrors and garage door opener. The ambiance lighting in the cabin is nice too. I'm sorry he/she dropped the ball. You should complain, maybe they will swap the handles for you. I would follow up. I lost out on the iPod connector because my dealer told me to think about it over the weekend and call the following Monday. When I called that Monday morning the car had already gone to production and I couldn't add it. I was pissed and they gave me an additional discount off the sales price. Can't hurt to ask.

cruxisfalcon
01-09-2011, 02:07 PM
According to my dealer it comes with the keyless entry option

markl53
01-09-2011, 02:12 PM
According to my dealer it comes with the keyless entry option
Ambiance lighting is forced with keyless entry stand-alone option. The OP didn't get keyless entry. The handles are part of ambiance lighting in Premium 1. To the other responder, Convenience Package requires Premium Package, so you get the handles by default with Convenience.

moonsault270
01-10-2011, 07:38 AM
You will get the Chrome strip on any model (528-550) if you order the P1..that includes Ambiance lighting OR if you order the comfort access on its own which automatically includes Ambiance lighting as well.

bobr2001
01-10-2011, 10:39 AM
OR if you order the comfort access on its own which automatically includes Ambiance lighting as well.

including P1 :)

Sophisto
01-10-2011, 10:59 AM
When ordering the chrome trim, choose also chrome window trim.
The standard aluminium trim around the windows doesn´t match nicely with the chrome handle addition.

elchevere
01-10-2011, 11:31 AM
I have a call into BMW North America Executive Offices to see if they can direct my inquiry to the right person or Munich factory and will let you know what I find out...I checked with Parts Manager at local dealer over the weekend and was told these are not set up to order as an option--factory direct only....Told BMW I want these for cosmetic purposes only; not looking to have my car retrofitted for ambient lighting, etc....wish me luck.

markl53
01-10-2011, 02:26 PM
You will get the Chrome strip on any model (528-550) if you order the P1..that includes Ambiance lighting OR if you order the comfort access on its own which automatically includes Ambiance lighting as well.

Again, you guys are saying similar things. The problem is, the OP has stated he did not order P1 or stand-alone CA, or Convenience Package. He ordered M Package and a few other stand-alones. The chrome strips, actually tied to ambiance lighting, is not part of anything he ordered. His SA let him down, because P1 is only $350 after ordering M package. M includes leather by virtue of having the multi-contour seats. That leaves P1 to supply only the garage opener, auto dimming mirrors and the ambiance lighting.

Erregend
01-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Quote:
*******>********><table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%">*******><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Originally Posted by moonsault270 http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5757759#post5757759)
OR if you order the comfort access on its own which automatically includes Ambiance lighting as well.
</td></tr>********></table>including P1 :)

You are correct per the online ordering guide, but the "Build You Own" did not pull in P1 with CA ???? Below is one with CA as only option selected...

My 535i SedanDetails (http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/byo/byohome.aspx?enc=jOOM44bxyW0u9eWvv5eFKtdJEVt02d35o y101bqbhLE=)
3.0 liter, 6-cylinder engine with TwinPower Turbo technology
Rear-wheel drive
See all standard features (http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/byo/byohome.aspx?enc=jOOM44bxyW0u9eWvv5eFKtdJEVt02d35o y101bqbhLE=#)
Base MSRP $50,100
Titanium Silver Metallic $550
Black Leatherette $0
Dark wood trim $0
Comfort Access keyless entry $1,000
Ambiance lighting $0
Destination & Handling: $875

elchevere
01-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks, but there is absolutely no mention of "chrome strip door handles' in the P1 package description you provided nor is there any mention of it on the dealer price sheets.

bobr2001
01-11-2011, 09:58 AM
You are correct per the online ordering guide, but the "Build You Own" did not pull in P1 with CA ???? Below is one with CA as only option selected...

My 535i SedanDetails (http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/byo/byohome.aspx?enc=jOOM44bxyW0u9eWvv5eFKtdJEVt02d35o y101bqbhLE=)
3.0 liter, 6-cylinder engine with TwinPower Turbo technology
Rear-wheel drive
See all standard features (http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/byo/byohome.aspx?enc=jOOM44bxyW0u9eWvv5eFKtdJEVt02d35o y101bqbhLE=#)
Base MSRP $50,100
Titanium Silver Metallic $550
Black Leatherette $0
Dark wood trim $0
Comfort Access keyless entry $1,000
Ambiance lighting $0
Destination & Handling: $875

+1 Very good! :thumbup:

elchevere
01-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Is one supposed to deduce that comfort access keyless entry includes custom door handle with chrome strips?...not being an employee of BMW, I didn't and woulds suspect I'm not the only one. Would it not make sense to make mention of "special door handles with chrome strip"--if so, BMW does not --not on the "Build Your Own" section (either under ambient lighting in Premium Package or under Comfort Access under Convenience Package of the website nor on their dealer price sheets. Without spelling this out to idiots such as mysef, how is one supposed to determine whether or not chrome strip handles come with the vehicle or not and under which package they come with?.....poor job of communication by BMW as far as I am concerned.

tlm999
01-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Is one supposed to deduce that comfort access keyless entry includes custom door handle with chrome strips?...not being an employee of BMW, I didn't and woulds suspect I'm not the only one. Would it not make sense to make mention of "special door handles with chrome strip"--if so, BMW does not --not on the "Build Your Own" section (either under ambient lighting in Premium Package or under Comfort Access under Convenience Package of the website nor on their dealer price sheets. Without spelling this out to idiots such as mysef, how is one supposed to determine whether or not chrome strip handles come with the vehicle or not and under which package they come with?.....poor job of communication by BMW as far as I am concerned.

Agreed. No mention of it anywhere in 'Build Your Own'. On the 'BYO' the 5 exterior picture will show plain door handles until you add either 'Premium 1' package which includes Ambiance Lighting or the Comfort Access option which also includes Ambiance Lighting. More or less trial and error in finding this. In the 5 series brochure, however, it does say 'Door handles combine sleek design and practical use. The horizontal chrome accent strip incorporates courtesy lights that illuminate the immediate area when the door is unlocked.'

elchevere
01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
All forms of communication (print literature, website, retail price lists etc.) should be consistent. It would also help BMW SA's, not all of whom are familiar with all the various configurations. I'm not necessarilly blaming my SA's--more the marketing communications department at BMW Corporate...if I am unable to get the chrome handles, my life will go on. Maybe, following my initial contact with BMW's Executive Offices in NJ, a light will go on and they will see a potential profitable opportunity from this situation by deciding to add the chrome handles as an option BMW dealers can sell through their Parts Department.

markl53
01-11-2011, 04:27 PM
All forms of communication (print literature, website, retail price lists etc.) should be consistent. It would also help BMW SA's, not all of whom are familiar with all the various configurations. I'm not necessarilly blaming my SA's--more the marketing communications department at BMW Corporate...if I am unable to get the chrome handles, my life will go on. Maybe, following my initial contact with BMW's Executive Offices in NJ, a light will go on and they will see a potential profitable opportunity from this situation by deciding to add the chrome handles as an option BMW dealers can sell through their Parts Department.

You mentioned earlier something about parts only at the factory, but they must be able to order handle replacements for those damaged in an accident or other cause. Also, that quote someone else provided about the chrome strips and lighting, it's not worded exactly right because there is no light actually emanating from the chrome strips themselves. The handles provided with ambiance lighting (inside and out) have the exterior lights at the inside end of the handle, the part that does not pull out when you open the door. The accent strips are cosmetic only.

Worst case if you can't get them, I think your car will look fine -- with the shadowline trim on the doors the dark handles may simply add to the "stealth" factor. I don't think you'll focus on them once you have the car. I can understand your disappointment though.

elchevere
01-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Mark--thanks a lot....that is how I presented my position to BMW NA's Executive Offices and am awaiting their response--interested in the handles for cosmetic purposes only. I also pointed out the inconsistent or lack of communication on BMWUSA website (Build Your Own) and Retail Price sheets as well as mentioning I have been a loyal and satisfied customer for nearly 20 years...hopefully, something will come of it. I cannot imagine it would cost that much to sell and ship me the handles nor shouild the work required to swap out the handles be too time consuming or costly at a local BMW dealer.....I could see them coming up with a bogus argument of how they couldn't sell me these handles from an internal accounting standpoint OR I could see them getting through to the right person in Munich who would come up with a set for me....if I do not get anywhere with New Jersey, I will give the Munich HQ's a shot.