PDA

View Full Version : self-install OEM mudflaps

highyo
01-08-2011, 05:57 PM
guys, was wondering if anyone took a crack at installing mud-flaps at home. does anyone have any suggestions? am i crazy?

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Mud flaps on the five series? My initial impression to this is to think of Mr. Bill . . . Oh Noooooooooooooooooo! All kidding aside, I think they may detract from the lines of the vehicle. I guess that you could always hold one in place and see what it looks like before performing a permanent installation.

highyo
01-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Mud flaps on the five series? My initial impression to this is to think of Mr. Bill . . . Oh Noooooooooooooooooo! All kidding aside, I think they may detract from the lines of the vehicle. I guess that you could always hold one in place and see what it looks like before performing a permanent installation.

no. they look really really good and are essential in keeping the car clean. i have already bought them and they are going on, just hoping i dont have to pony up the cash.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=450188&stc=1&d=1288569449

jsf1993
01-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Look pretty good in the rear....not so sure up front.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-08-2011, 06:10 PM
no. they look really really good and are essential in keeping the car clean. i have already bought them and they are going on, just hoping i dont have to pony up the cash.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=450188&stc=1&d=1288569449

Thanks for sharing the picture and sorry for the initial negative reaction. Now that I have actually seen the mud flaps, they seem ok. They are actually pretty discreet and blend in. If you want to see a dirty car, you should see my alpine white F10 after driving around in the snowy weather in the north east for the past few days. I am still trying to figure out how the laws of physics have allowed the car to get so dirty.

highyo
01-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Look pretty good in the rear....not so sure up front.

i think they look good enough to put on the car in order to protect the paint and keep the car much much cleaner.

to be clear, this post is not about whether or not i should get them, but whether or not i should attempt to put them on myself or have the service dept take care of it.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-08-2011, 06:13 PM
I vote for the service department, especially if holes have to be drilled as part of the installation.

highyo
01-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I vote for the service department, especially if holes have to be drilled as part of the installation.

thanks, i definitely think it is very difficult to do it (but not impossible) without taking the wheels off. so there ya go!

jsf1993
01-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Just use weatherproof screws and some good waterproof caulking and be careful when you drill into the body. My guess is that it's probably an easy install and that the dealership won't do a better job due to not having much experience with them.

highyo
01-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Just use weatherproof screws and some good waterproof caulking and be careful when you drill into the body. My guess is that it's probably an easy install and that the dealership won't do a better job due to not having much experience with them.

drill into the body.... that makes me cringe ha ha

jimefam
01-08-2011, 06:27 PM
They definitely look good enough to justify being put on and having seen this picture I will order them immediatly as my carbon black shows dirty so easy. Good find on the picture.

Quick11
01-08-2011, 07:11 PM
I had my dealership put them on for $90 within 2 days of purchasing the car. They look like they should have came with the car and are functional very effective.

highyo
01-08-2011, 07:37 PM

I had my dealership put them on for $90 within 2 days of purchasing the car. They look like they should have came with the car and are functional very effective.

good color thank you very much

Ian_C
01-09-2011, 12:14 AM
I installed them myself and they look great. I think I had to drill two holes on the front flaps and one for the rears. Taking the tires off makes for an easier install. If you are handy it is a no brainer. No need for any sealant as the flaps come with double stick tape and are well contoured to the body of the car. I have attached a photo of one of the installed rear flaps.

TJPark01
01-09-2011, 10:37 AM
I think they look better on darker colors. You could also get them painted to match your car, hard black plastic is tough to paint, but it's probably not necessary for the OP since you have such a dark color. It's 90% preparation and 10% application. If you are the one putting the mudflaps on and off, I would suggest putting some clear film to protect the paint underneath. Water, and small pebbles or sand, or pretty much anything will start to seep into the gap between the mudguard and paint. It's not a big deal, but if you ever want to take them off one day, you may find an unpleasant surprise underneath. It's pretty easy to do. Check out video on prep work.
YouTube- How-to: Molded Mudflaps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ2FBBkbozk&feature=player_embedded