PDA

View Full Version : Comfort headrests

Beckster69
01-08-2011, 10:09 PM
I have seen many posts on this subject but did not see to much conclusion. The owners manual show a 2 round buttons for the head rest but for some reason those buttons are not in the USA deliveries. Picked up my car today. I love the car but confused on this feature. Some claim they called the dealer and then BMW USA but i have not seen any follow up. With out these buttons does the headrest manual adjust the width by pulling on it? My old 535 had a button on the headest.

2011 BMW 550xi with sport pkge

salamigs
01-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Your headrest adjustment is within the seat controls. Pull the seat back recline button up and down, and that should do it (unless my memory is failing me).

Beckster69
01-08-2011, 10:19 PM
That is for up and down not forward or backwards.

salamigs
01-08-2011, 10:42 PM
My mistake, I did not realize the direction you were asking. Good question then...

markl53
01-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Not sure, and I don't have the multi-contour seats, but I think those 2 buttons you are referring to are for the upper back bolster width control which US owners are saying are not included on US seats (backrest width, not headrest width). Many people say the 2 buttons shown in the manual are not found on their seats. Maybe the headrest controls are located elsewhere?

UPDATE: Looking in the manual just now, it appears that fore and aft positioning of the multi-contour head rests is the same as my standard ones, there is a button on the side of the rest. You just pull the headrest forward and use the button to release it to push backwards. Although, on another page, for "power" headrests, it says the distance to head is linked to the shoulder support adjustment control.

bfv
01-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Are headrests of any use? In most cars I have used, I could never get my head to rest on a headrest comfortably. Unfortunately, I don't have a fix for my head. Having said that, hopefully BMW's multi-contour seats have headrests that extends (I guess). Can someone post pics? V

markl53
01-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Are headrests of any use? In most cars I have used, I could never get my head to rest on a headrest comfortably. Unfortunately, I don't have a fix for my head. Having said that, hopefully BMW's multi-contour seats have headrests that extends (I guess). Can someone post pics?

I've never had "fancy" headrests. I've attached an image from the 5-series owners manual, don't have a real picture for you. I don't think I'd want a headrest that actually touches my head in my normal driving position, not sure what the big deal about these adjustable headrests is.

Rafa
01-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Are headrests of any use? In most cars I have used, I could never get my head to rest on a headrest comfortably. Unfortunately, I don't have a fix for my head. Having said that, hopefully BMW's multi-contour seats have headrests that extends (I guess). Can someone post pics? V

Comfort seats will allow you to rest your head on the headrest. Like you, I was never able to rest my head on headrests until I got the comfort seats in my current F10. It feels great! Finally!

markl53
01-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Comfort seats will allow you to rest your head on the headrest. Like you, I was never able to rest my head on headrests until I got the comfort seats in my current F10. It feels great! Finally!

Rafa, do you actually have your head on the headrest while driving?

Rafa
01-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Sometimes it is comfy. Not generally, though. When I do, it is because I bend forward the upper part of the seat, mostly. The head will be fractions of an inch from the headrest, and a slight backwards movement of the head will bring the head against the headrest. Call me quirky.

Gator550
01-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm with you Rafa. That is just how I have my seat set up. Driving along my head does not touch the seat, but i can just put my head back an inch and its there. And its a nice break from my normal driving position, especially on long drives. I figure it would also be good in the event i am hit from behind - probably far less whiplash effect than i would incur with "normal" seats.

Needsdecaf
01-09-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm with you Rafa. That is just how I have my seat set up. Driving along my head does not touch the seat, but i can just put my head back an inch and its there. And its a nice break from my normal driving position, especially on long drives. I figure it would also be good in the event i am hit from behind - probably far less whiplash effect than i would incur with "normal" seats.

Yes, and this is what the headrest is actually for.

My Volvo has fixed headrests. Most people, the first time they get in the car (myself included) want to adjust them back as they are VERY close to your head. But they are there for a reason...whiplash protection.

As was said above, you soon don't notice them and then just learn to lean back a bit when you want to give your neck a break.

BimmerUKF10
01-09-2011, 02:29 PM
I have seen many posts on this subject but did not see to much conclusion. The owners manual show a 2 round buttons for the head rest but for some reason those buttons are not in the USA deliveries. Picked up my car today. I love the car but confused on this feature. Some claim they called the dealer and then BMW USA but i have not seen any follow up. With out these buttons does the headrest manual adjust the width by pulling on it? My old 535 had a button on the headest.

2011 BMW 550xi with sport pkge

Out of interest does you car have seat ventilation?

Beckster69
01-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Nope just multiple contour.

Rafa
01-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Thank you Gator550 and Needsdecaf, for the info on whiplash protection. I did not think about that before, I guess I did not give it much thought, so it is good that you pointed that out.

Panigale12
05-19-2014, 05:55 AM
been searching on the headrests but cant seem to find an answer to my question......do the headrests have an adjustment to bring them all the way down to the top of the seat? The electronic adjustment still leaves an inch or 2 of bare metal. I thought the button on the back would do it but that only moves it forward and back. The manual does not mention it. It's an aesthetic thing for me but I have never seen headrests that didn't come all the way down to meet the seat.

tlm999
05-19-2014, 06:20 AM
been searching on the headrests but cant seem to find an answer to my question......do the headrests have an adjustment to bring them all the way down to the top of the seat? The electronic adjustment still leaves an inch or 2 of bare metal. I thought the button on the back would do it but that only moves it forward and back. The manual does not mention it. It's an aesthetic thing for me but I have never seen headrests that didn't come all the way down to meet the seat.

Mine come all the way down to the seat with the electric adjustment, no gap.

markl53
05-19-2014, 02:17 PM
Mine come all the way down to the seat with the electric adjustment, no gap.

I think the headrest moves further down as you release it to move forward, closer to your head. I leave mine back a bit, so the gap does not close completely.

wrickem
05-19-2014, 04:54 PM
The headrests on my luxury seating pkg seats leave a 2" gap when all of the way down. It doesn't matter how the seat back is positioned, this is as far as the go down. It doesn't matter to me though, they need to be up for me and and most of my passengers.

markl53
05-19-2014, 08:33 PM
The headrests on my luxury seating pkg seats leave a 2" gap when all of the way down. It doesn't matter how the seat back is positioned, this is as far as the go down. It doesn't matter to me though, they need to be up for me and and most of my passengers.

In my other statement above, I had it backwards. If you push the button to allow the headrest to move as far back as possible, away from your head, it moves slightly downward, and the front edge almost comes into contact with the seat, narrowing the gap. I'm not talking about the seat back, I mean the headrest itself. As you move it forward, closer to your body, it also moves slightly upward, opening the gap further.

wrickem
05-20-2014, 05:46 AM
^^Sorry for the confusion, Markl53, I was responding to Panigale12's and tlm999's question with my sideways (thanks iphone) picture. My headrests don't have any buttons on them, it just gets closer with the shoulder support adjustment and of course goes up and down (but not all the way) with the power button.

demas
05-20-2014, 07:31 AM
I have my headrest all the way down and there is a noticeable gap

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7367/8921809731_aaaf92cd57_c.jpg

The button on the headrest unit manually moves the front half forwards and back. With these seats I like to have the headrest 2 or 3 inches away - it just feels right in this car.

bmw325
05-20-2014, 08:20 AM
I have my headrest all the way down and there is a noticeable gap

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7367/8921809731_aaaf92cd57_c.jpg

The button on the headrest unit manually moves the front half forwards and back. With these seats I like to have the headrest 2 or 3 inches away - it just feels right in this car.

I think there's some confusion because the multicontour seats don't have that button. Looks like the seats in your pic might be the "sports seats" that we don't get in the US. But the base seats also have that button. On the multicontour seats you bring the headrest closer by using the button on the side of the seat that tilts the whole top half of the backrest forward and back

OP- how tall are you? I ask because I'm not that tall (5'9) but if I left the headrest on the lowest position it would be too low. So I've never really noticed the issue you mention. Have you tried seeing if adjusting the top half if the backrest makes a difference in how low the headrest can go?

gspannu
05-20-2014, 08:50 AM
In comfort seats, the headrests are adjusted electrically - both for horizontal positioning and vertical height.

Vertical height is done by the backrest angle button. Push it up/ down to adjust height. [pic 1]

Horizontal position is done by adjusting the shoulder adjustment button. Headrest will move forward & backward along with the shoulder back adjustment. [pic 2]

There is a third manual setting for folding the side extensions of the headrest inwards, to get a more snug fit [pic 3]

In the event of an accident/ collision, the headrests automatically move forward (closer to your head) to prevent whiplash. This happens regardless of the position you set them in.

Panigale12
05-20-2014, 09:38 AM
I never really think about the headrests when I am driving.........the question I asked was purely for aesthetic as I think it looks better flush with the seat but it appears it does not go all the way down (although I may pay more attention to my headrests in general due to this thread :)

wrickem
05-24-2014, 12:12 PM
In comfort seats, the headrests are adjusted electrically - both for horizontal positioning and vertical height.

Vertical height is done by the backrest angle button. Push it up/ down to adjust height. [pic 1]

Horizontal position is done by adjusting the shoulder adjustment button. Headrest will move forward & backward along with the shoulder back adjustment. [pic 2]

There is a third manual setting for folding the side extensions of the headrest inwards, to get a more snug fit [pic 3]

In the event of an accident/ collision, the headrests automatically move forward (closer to your head) to prevent whiplash. This happens regardless of the position you set them in.

Thank you for this. I never realized that the sides of the headrests on lux pkg seats without a button on the side can be folded in because the manual is kind of sketchy on this. My passengers all thank you.

The X Men
05-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Anyone notice that the driver side multi contour seat shoulder adjustment does not adjust as far forward as the passenger seat.