PDA

View Full Version : 6WA extended black panel - any real benefit besides cool factor?

Kar Don
01-09-2011, 09:10 PM
I've been researching and trying to find what benefit the extended panel provides besides looking cool with the 3d fading lines.

tim-atl
01-10-2011, 06:12 AM
From the looks of the photo's you get more nav information displayed on the dash.

Tim

Sherman B
01-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Does anyone know if it also displays MPH digitally on the display too?

markl53
01-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Do people like that? I wonder why. I'll keep the needle and dial, thanks :)

JoeRoadster
01-27-2011, 03:45 PM
I wants it.

I think I'm going to cancel my current order (which just completed the production phase), and wait for March instead.

My CA said there is no guarantee March builds will have this though. Do we have confirmation?

tim-atl
01-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Not for the US.

Sherman B
01-27-2011, 04:07 PM

Have that on our other car and my wife loves it.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-27-2011, 04:11 PM

I do not mind the needle and dial, however, I still believe that the dial in the F10 should be more specific than it is currently configured. IMO, there is an element of guessing as to your exact speed because of this. As I said on another thread, since most U.S. speed limits end with the number five, the dial should be more in tune with this. :p

nosnoop
01-27-2011, 04:13 PM
I've been researching and trying to find what benefit the extended panel provides besides looking cool with the 3d fading lines.

Basically, you get more info to be displayed at the same time, and the readability is much better.

Currently, majority of the info is cramped into the central display area. And when it is displaying one type of information, it would override whatever was there previously. With the larger display, this would only happen occasionally; as different information is shown in different part of the screen. And info like navigation is displayed in larger graphics, larger font and with additional graphics, making it easier to read.

nosnoop
01-27-2011, 04:17 PM

No, it cannot.
The puzzling thing is that all BMWs come with this digital speedometer display option. But it is a hidden option and not user accessible. It can only be enabled by using special cables and software. F10 is new, so I have not come across any programs/cables which work on it yet.

markl53
01-27-2011, 04:23 PM
I do not mind the needle and dial, however, I still believe that the dial in the F10 should be more specific than it is currently configured. IMO, the is an element of guessing as to your exact speed because of this. As I said on another thread, since most U.S. speed limits end with the number five, the dial should be more in tune with this. :p

Back in the 80's I think, GM had speedo's with lines marked by 5's rather than 10's. Didn't like it. I know we're all anal on the forums but if I can glance and see the needle is about halfway between 50 and 60 (or whatever), I can pretty much gauge how fast I'm going. A couple mph isn't going to make a big difference, IMO. Sometimes I drive by a Civic or some other car with a huge digital readout and I try to see if I'm matching their speed -- talk about anal :).

B-1 Pilot
01-27-2011, 04:23 PM
If this video is accurate, the extended panel does LOTS more than the current iteration. The assumption is that the extend panel in the 550GT will be the one used by the F10s with option 6WA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj7ajkPFNKw

JoeRoadster
01-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Not for the US.

Wait... What!?

6WA is not available in the US with March builds?

BimmerUKF10
01-28-2011, 01:39 AM
That does look 'better', however is it really such a big deal? I mean the existing display is able to show all of that albeit differently. Its still streets ahead of many cars. If I had a car on order I don't think I'd cancel and reorder it just to get that.

tim-atl
01-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Wait... What!?

6WA is not available in the US with March builds?

I meant no confirmation. I'm still hopeful but we don't yet have indisputable proof.

Tim

pharding
01-28-2011, 06:35 AM
If you want a very legible info display, HUD is awesome.

vortexx
01-28-2011, 08:25 AM
I have driven a friend's GT. In my opinion the panel is much nicer in a number of ways, most of which have been discussed above. If aesthetics are important to you (they are to me, it is one of the significant factors in my choice of car) then the new display is a big improvement. Here is why:

1. It is symmetrical with respect to the gauges. Theoretically this shouldn't matter since the idea is that the information illuminates from a completely blacked out panel, but in practice the current display falls far short of that ideal. At night you can see the blue-gray glow of the LCD backlight because the display has poor black level control. This totally ruins the intended effect and the shape and placement of the display exaggerates the problem. The new display has better black level, is symmetrical with respect to the gauges, and uses subtle 3D shading to further disguise the background glow. It totally solves the flaw in the current design.

2. On the new display, the gauges themselves have a subtle but beautifully implemented illumination around the bezel. It is very well done.

3. As previously mentioned, the size, layout and amount of simultaneous information is improved. The scrolling lists contain more lines, are easier to navigate, and are easier to read at a glance. Turn by turn navigation information is also displayed, which is very nice, even if you have HUD.

4. The display completely blacks out when off, including the non-LCD functions such as the gauge numbers. This is a nice effect but probably not a deal breaker. In fact it sort of takes some getting used to.

The current display is one of my few nits about an otherwise extremely well implemented interior. It bothers me enough that if there is a way to retrofit the new instrument panel, I might do so unless it is prohibitively expensive.

Was Auch immer
03-28-2011, 05:12 PM
My order VPC hits the US tomorrow. According to the paperwork the official build date is March 11. Should be at the local dealer by next week, hoping for Saturday. I'll post to let all know if it has the extended black panel or not although my expectation is that it does not.

Diver624
03-28-2011, 05:21 PM
My order VPC hits the US tomorrow. According to the paperwork the official build date is March 11. Should be at the local dealer by next week, hoping for Saturday. I'll post to let all know if it has the extended black panel or not although my expectation is that it does not.

Did you order HUD, if you did then you should get the display since it a March 11 build. Mine was built the same week but I did not order HUD. The display should be standard.

LegeinEi
03-29-2011, 01:22 AM
I picked up mine on March 22 in Munich. No HUD but extended display which IS a big improvemend. Regarding its fair price it really is a must-have. It makes the cockpit-area look much more worthy.

Greetings from Germany!

pcbrew
03-29-2011, 01:39 AM
I thought HUD was required to get the extended display.
Is Nav required to get it and, if so, does it come standard with Nav or has to be ordered separately?

LegeinEi
03-29-2011, 01:55 AM
sorry, I can only speak for order-options here in germany:

if I order the hud then the extended display is automatically part of it. if I don't order hud I still have the option to order the extended display separately and it only costs 150 Euros (about 210 $).

I just checked and the extended disply is free from other options!

pcbrew
03-29-2011, 02:25 AM
OK, I mis-read your post... Thought you were in Germany from US for ED.
I re-checked US configuration site and extended panel only seems to come with HUD and only seems to give benefits with Nav.

LegeinEi
03-29-2011, 03:23 AM
No, I am a native German - that's the reason for my English.

Here is a pic of the official german config-tool for the F10, blank car with the extended display as the only checked option:
http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/dcl7-r-jpg.html
http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/thumbs/dcl7-r.jpg

Gbe
11-19-2013, 12:02 PM
The option 6WB is not available on the new 4 series, only the 6WA is.
The 6WB is so much cooler! Does anybody knows if this might be arrangable? I did not order the Car, want to know this first!
Salesperson said that that's not possible!

Looking forward to reply!!

fjacobs1000
11-19-2013, 01:28 PM
The 6WB is so much cooler! Does anybody knows if this might be arrangable? I did not order the Car, want to know this first!

Great question!

Only thing that is certain here is that this original thread is really REALLY old.

You should search out some vid's of the current dash to evaluate. Or, better yet, go see one in person!

mness
11-19-2013, 01:48 PM

The 6WB is retrofittable on some models. Search the forum for "6WB retrofit" or http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-f06-f12-f13-2011/connecteddrive-retrofits/multifunctional-instrument-panel-retrofit

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app