PDA

View Full Version : Make a choice: Activ Vent Seats or Driver Assistance or IAS?

FastMarkA
01-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Spec'ing out my car.

Have read pluses and minuses on the Active Vent Seats. I do like them in Lincoln Navigators, but I believe those have actual A/C piped in whereas the BMW is just a bunch of fans blowing cabin air.

I will be getting black/black.

The Driver Assistance items are all "cool" features. I would definitely use those items on a more regular basis than the Active Vent Seats.

As for IAS, I've heard good and bad about that as well. Specifically, the steering is light/loose at freeway speeds.

You can only pick one. :)

highyo
01-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Spec'ing out my car.

Have read pluses and minuses on the Active Vent Seats. I do like them in Lincoln Navigators, but I believe those have actual A/C piped in whereas the BMW is just a bunch of fans blowing cabin air.

The Driver Assistance items are all "cool" features. I would definitely use those items on a more regular basis than the Active Vent Seats.

As for IAS, I've heard good and bad about that as well. Specifically, the steering is light/loose at freeway speeds.

i love the ventilated seats. love them. they feel great, make the cabin look better, and when u turn the fans on, it re-injects great leather smelling air into the cabin. and it's not cabin air, it's cold even when the heat is blasting. driver assistance is for women. ias i can not speak to as i have xdrive and was not offered.

jsf1993
01-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Spec'ing out my car.

If you're getting black/black, go with the ventilated seats first and foremost. You can live w/o the other features and still be comfortable driving in hot weather. In a perfect world, get all 3. In an imperfect world, this would be an easy decision for me.

vortexx
01-11-2011, 08:43 PM
i love the ventilated seats. love them. they feel great, make the cabin look better, and when u turn the fans on, it re-injects great leather smelling air into the cabin. and it's not cabin air, it's cold even when the heat is blasting.

Are you sure about this feature? I have the ventilated seats and I believe that they are just recirculating cabin air.

tunafish
01-11-2011, 09:02 PM
In my experience, blind spot detection is quite useful as a double check. I turned off lane deviation because it is too sensitive. I need to be in the center of the lane within a few inches or else the steering wheel vibrates...and it doesn't deal with curves well. Parking assist if neat but not necessary, and useless if you are in a hurry to park.

The active vent seats only blow cabin air, and the effect is pretty subtle, but useful on hot days.

I have DHP but not IAS.

My favorite option is Active Cruise Control.

pharding
01-11-2011, 09:21 PM
I have all of the options that you are contemplating. My suggestion is to get one that is not on your list, Active Cruise Control. It is uber awesome. Second choice: Integral Active Steering. Third Active Ventilated Seat Package.

Rafa
01-11-2011, 10:01 PM
I have all of the options that you are contemplating. My suggestion is to get one that is not on your list, Active Cruise Control. It is uber awesome. Second choice: Integral Active Steering. Third Active Ventilated Seat Package.

Pharding, what are your impressions on IAS? Does it feel different driving an IAS car from a RWD, particularly at faster speeds? Do you have to get used to different handling dynamics or do you take to IAS like a duck to water? And when you park with the wheels turned to one side, as when curbing your car on an inclined street, do the rear tires look crooked? Silly question this last one, I know, particularly coming from someone from Florida where all streets are flat, but I'm curious.

pharding
01-12-2011, 04:43 AM
I had it on my 2008 550i so I am quite used to it. I took to it like a duck to water. I know that some will say this is heresy, but it works quite well and feels fine to me. It does what is supposed to do in a very subtle manner that I do not think about or notice. It is great for maneuvering the car at low speeds, i.e. maneuvering in a parking garage or lot and at moderate to high speeds where the rear wheels turn a few degrees when you turn, i.e. changing lanes on the expressway. The rear wheels only turn at, my guess 55 mph and above, but you can easily look that up. The rear wheels do not turn when you park. The degree of turning is so slight that I have never noticed it. I am not aware of anyone on 3 BMW F10 message boards that have had mechanical steering issues with the F10 equipped with IAS. That is just my perception and I could be wrong. Another thing about IAS is that DHP the steering becomes tightly woven into that option. You definitely need to test drive cars with and without it to experience it for yourself.

jsf1993
01-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Don't have IAS as my car is an x-drive. But, I do have the other options. If I had to choose, I would opt for active vent seats, especially if you live in an area that experiences hot/humid summers. I use this feature 9-10 months of the year in the Philly area. Pretty much all of the available options are cool and will be appreciated by most buyers. Having had the ventilated seats in my prior 2 cars, I know I would not want to own a car w/o this feature. As an aside, with Nappa, the vented sears are beautiful.....much nicer than those in my old 2008 535 (which also had upgraded leather).

Emilner
01-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Active seats! I love not only the ventilation, but also the massage function. After a long day of work it is a pleasure to put them on. At first they feel really weird but real soon they become a must have. Now every time someone is in my car it is the first button they press (even though it is such a PITA to reach- could they have put it any further away!). Active cruise is an awesome feature (had it on my S550) but I could not justify the extra $2k+ as the car was quickly approaching $80k.

07X3platinum
01-12-2011, 08:39 AM
I would choose the Ventilated Seats option, but you should choose the option you know you're going to use the most.

AzNMpower32
01-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I'd get the IAS unless you feel like the Driver Assistant things are useful (it'd be great for my dad in his X5.......he can't keep the behemoth in lane).

Needsdecaf
01-12-2011, 10:50 AM
IMO, the driver assistant things are useless. I've yet to encounter blind spot info that doesn't suck (Audi, Volvo, MB, and BMW included). Lane departure warning seems cool but you soon turn it off. Parking assist- are you really going to use it all that often? Headlight assist...meh, nice but....

Get the seats or get the steering. I don't have any experience with IAS so I can't speak to that, but driver's assistance just isn't worth the money, IMO.;

beashonda
01-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Are you sure about this feature? I have the ventilated seats and I believe that they are just recirculating cabin air.

exactly. It is just a fan circulating cabin air upwards. I had them on my Lexus (standard, no cost feature). Wouldn't pay to have them on another car unless, perhaps I was in AZ or FL. Keeps the seat from being so hot and sweating when you have on shorts. Otherwise, meh........

highyo
01-12-2011, 04:22 PM

i am not sure, but it sure feels cold. granted, i am in NYC and have only had the car since Xmas