PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on: Seat Package, top-view camera, active cruise ctrl, smartphone integratra

Argelius
01-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Hello All,

After going on a very satisfying test drive of a 2011 535xi, I'm about ready to make the plunge and buy one. It will certainly be the most adult (and expensive!) car I've owned to date. My must haves include Premium 1 and 2, Convenience, Driver Assistance, Head's Up, and black interior.

A couple of questions for anyone who cares to chime in:

[1] Opinion on the "Active Ventilated Seat Package": one of the option packages I'm vacillating on. I definitely want heated front seats (but you can get those with Premium 2). I have to check out the multi-contour seats and "active" options, but thinking that since I don't do much long distance driving (other than my daily 50 mile round trip daily commutes). Thoughts?

[2] Side and top-view camera. I'm definitely inclined to wanting this, since it's a gadget and I must have all gadgets.

[3] Active cruise control: wouldn't use it that much, but sort of want it. Anyone have it?

[4] Smart phone Integration: the salesguy was saying this is not useful (especially with the ComBox) since in order to use it you have to buy the iPhone adapter which means you have to take your phone out of its case to use it. (Evidently the regular USB cable does NOT actually charge the phone, despite the charging icon displaying on the phone, however).

[5] Mojave versus Dark Graphite are my exterior color preferences

[6] Interior will be black and I'm leaning toward the light wood, rather than the dark.

[7] The "6NR" Option which supposedly allows for enhanced iPhone integration isn't out until 3/11 (although nobody seems to know if this is something that will be retroactively upgradable via a software update to cars made before this). I'm pretty sure this is something I MUST have...

One car currently on a boat was identified (with Graphite and the dark wood) that has everything except the top view camera .Ultimately, to get the exact combination I want, I realize this will be a special order. Does this mean you get a crappier deal than buying an existing car?

So, for anyone who cares to offer opinions on all of this, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.

jsf1993
01-10-2011, 04:32 PM
1. Ventilated Seats - YES
2. Side/Top View Cameras - Yes, especially if you frequently park in the city or have a tight garage
3. Active Cruise Control - It's very cool, but you can live w/o it and I often wonder if driving with too many assistance packages helps turn us into "lazy" or inattentive drivers.
4. Smart Phone Integration - Really depends on how badly you want to see Facebook, etc. on your Navigation screen and if you need the better phone reception in your area.
5. Color Choice - Matter of personal tastes and preferences. Can't tell you if you prefer chocolate or vanilla ice cream over another flavor. There is no wrong answer.
6. Interior Wood Color - Again, a matter of personal taste and preference. No wrong answer. Personally, I chose light wood last time and regretted it. Chose dark this time. :)
7. 6NR Option - No one knows for sure, but I'm betting that it will work if you order Smartphone Integration option and have a post-September, 2010 build. If you MUST have it, you may want to delay your order until you KNOW you can get it.

Argelius
01-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks for those thoughts. Most helpful.
I've pretty much 95% decided that I'm going to order the exact car I want....I'm not desperate...so can wait (although I'm lousy with delayed gratification).

user1796
01-10-2011, 05:56 PM
1) I have the active vent. seats. Can't comment on vent aspects, but the multi-contour seats appear to be well worth it. I came from an E60 without these and there is a world of difference between the two.
2) Side and top view cameras are very cool.
3) I use ACC every morning on my way to work. I've never learned to fully trust it on complete stops, so if there's any doubt about it stopping, I'm "helping" it. (Stupid, I know, but . . .) It is, however very nice for maintaining distances on the highway.
4) I also go the smartphone integration. For the amount of money, I felt that it was worth it. (I negotiated an "x versus invoice deal" and then identified the options that I wanted, so leaving it off would have saved me $135.)
5) & 6) Color choices are a matter of personal taste and it's tough to go wrong. I went with the dark wood with a black interior because I thought that it was the only way to go and then began looking at the black interior with the light wood and thought that looked pretty good as well.
7) Don't think that anyone will be able to give you a straight answer at this point on 6NR - my CA hadn't even heard of it, so if it does really mean that much to you, you may really want to consider waiting. I've read conflicting statements as to whether the smartphone integration is required or not and I've read lots of speculation that 6NR will be available on post-September builds, but have seen nothing from BMW to indicate that is true.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Since you reside in Chicago, I strongly recommend the cold weather package, which I did not see that you mentioned above. The heated steering wheel is a must. Also, since you are in an urban area, the side and top view cameras are also a must in my opinion. With regards to smart phone integration, I do not believe that there is any proof that it improves reception and I get the FaceBook profile pictures on my NAV screen without it. As to color choices, that is strictly a matter of personal taste. As to how to get the better deal, my dealer gave me the impression that they want to put you in the car that you want and ordering a car does not adversely impact upon your deal.

ksoze
01-10-2011, 06:14 PM
I do not believe that there is any proof that it improves reception and I get the FaceBook profile pictures on my NAV screen without it.

How are you getting Facebook stuff on your Nav Screen currently?

The issue with not ordering the 6NF option is that it may be required for the upcoming 6NR option which among other things displays status updates from Facebook and potentially allows for" ipod out" phone capabilities.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-10-2011, 06:18 PM
How are you getting Facebook stuff on your Nav Screen currently?

The issue with not ordering the 6NF option is that it may be required for the upcoming 6NR option which among other things displays status updates from Facebook and potentially allows for" ipod out" phone capabilities.

The only item from FaceBook that I see on my NAV screen is the profile picture. This is displayed automatically when either calling or receiving a call from someone who is a FaceBook member.

ksoze
01-10-2011, 06:25 PM
The only item from FaceBook that I see on my NAV screen is the profile picture. This is displayed automatically when either calling or receiving a call from someone who is a FaceBook member.

I believe that contact image being displayed on call is part of the BT functionality provided by your phones contact list. The image on your phone may have come from FaceBook but the current connection to your NAV is to your phone contact DB, not FB. This upcoming functionality would provide a more direct connection to those apps.

pharding
01-10-2011, 07:49 PM
[1] Opinion on the "Active Ventilated Seat Package": one of the option packages I'm vacillating on. I definitely want heated front seats (but you can get those with Premium 2). I have to check out the multi-contour seats and "active" options, but thinking that since I don't do much long distance driving (other than my daily 50 mile round trip daily commutes). Thoughts?

I have this package. It looks really cool. It is of marginal value IMO however.

[2] Side and top-view camera. I'm definitely inclined to wanting this, since it's a gadget and I must have all gadgets.

I test drove a car with this and I would buy this in heart beat if it was available.

[3] Active cruise control: wouldn't use it that much, but sort of want it. Anyone have it?

Definitely a must have option IMO. This works great for my commute everyday on the Eisenhower Expressway. It works really, really well except, as the manual states, when you encounter stopped vehicle. My favorite option.

[4] Smart phone Integration: the salesguy was saying this is not useful (especially with the ComBox) since in order to use it you have to buy the iPhone adapter which means you have to take your phone out of its case to use it. (Evidently the regular USB cable does NOT actually charge the phone, despite the charging icon displaying on the phone, however).

I just use a power cable plugged into the rear power outlet when I occasionally need to recharge my phone in the car.

[6] Interior will be black and I'm leaning toward the light wood, rather than the dark.

As an architect I personally like the dark wood a lot with black. The light wood is too much contrast IMO.

[7] The "6NR" Option which supposedly allows for enhanced iPhone integration isn't out until 3/11 (although nobody seems to know if this is something that will be retroactively upgradable via a software update to cars made before this). I'm pretty sure this is something I MUST have...

This is must have option IMO if you use and enjoy cool technology.

fkim011
01-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Hello All,

After going on a very satisfying test drive of a 2011 535xi, I'm about ready to make the plunge and buy one. It will certainly be the most adult (and expensive!) car I've owned to date. My must haves include Premium 1 and 2, Convenience, Driver Assistance, Head's Up, and black interior.

A couple of questions for anyone who cares to chime in:

One car currently on a boat was identified (with Graphite and the dark wood) that has everything except the top view camera .Ultimately, to get the exact combination I want, I realize this will be a special order. Does this mean you get a crappier deal than buying an existing car?

So, for anyone who cares to offer opinions on all of this, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.

1. The ventilated package is really nice and so are the seats. Since I am in sunny socal, I wouldn't buy a car that offers this without it. My girlfriend loves when my car has ventilated seats for those days she wears shorts on sunny days and her legs won't get fried from hot leather seats...

2. The top view cameras are nice and the sideview cameras are a great safety feature for those peak around blind spots . I have used this numerous times in blind intersections and they have been really helpful.

3 & 4. Don't have this option so I can't comment on it...

5. Dark graphite for me...

6. Dark wood, I think it will be better for resale also...

1HOT BMR
01-10-2011, 10:52 PM
1. NO - it doesn't work but the perforated leather looks cool
2. YES - I regret not ordering this one.
3. NO - a nuissance and way overpriced
4. YES - I have it and I like it but phone must be naked which some people don't like.
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?

Argelius
01-11-2011, 04:10 AM
Great thoughts, everybody.
Thanks!

Kamdog
01-11-2011, 05:06 AM
If you are going to order the car, have time for it, and are so inclined, the European Delivery experience is a lifetime experience.

vortexx
01-11-2011, 08:24 PM
1. The active ventilated seats are beautiful looking, particularly in Nappa. However, even without Nappa it is a major luxury upgrade in both look and feel in my opinion. The “active” part is of marginal value to me. I wish they were massaging seats.
2. This is an awesome feature in my opinion. It came in handy when parking in tight parking garages in Europe, and still use it often.
3. I don’t have this.
4. I have the smartphone integration and never actually got the adapter for the iPhone 4, so I don’t use it. I just plug the phone into the USB cable. It does appear to charge the phone, just slowly.
5. I have seen Mojave and it is an interesting color. However, I chose dark graphite which I think is a spectacular color. I will post some pictures shortly, stay tuned…
6. I strongly recommend the dark wood or anthracite over the light. I know it is personal preference, but I have seen several cars with the light wood and thought it was unattractive. I had the light wood option on my 2008 E60 and it looked very nice. The light wood on the F10 is not the same! One car I saw was a Mojave exterior and it didn’t look good together.
7. Hopefully this is a software upgrade but I do not know. However, one other thing that comes on the 3/11 changes is the extended display like the 5xxGT has. I wish I had that!

Rafa
01-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Oh boy. I did not choose the seat ventilation option because I thought that aesthetically the perforations would detract from the Nappa leather, yet I have only read posts that indicate that the perforated seats look stunning. I did not have the benefit of actually seeing perforated Nappa seats before ordering, in fact I have yet to see the perforated seats in the flesh, but your posts make me wish I had looked harder for a car with perforated seats. I would have welcomed the ventilation as well, in this Florida heat. There is always a next car, I guess.

Rafa
01-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Plugging the iPhone into the USB charges it, and at the same rate as in any other USB port, which is somewhat slower that charging with a wall charger.

tunafish
01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
My favorite option is Active Cruise Control. It makes my commute in traffic less stressful and is useful on long trips.

Argelius
01-12-2011, 04:17 AM
1. However, one other thing that comes on the 3/11 changes is the extended display like the 5xxGT has. I wish I had that!

Can you explain what this is?

pharding
01-12-2011, 04:25 AM
My favorite option is Active Cruise Control. It makes my commute in traffic less stressful and is useful on long trips.
+1 It is also my favorite option. It is great for daily commutes with stop and go traffic.

Erregend
01-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Can you explain what this is?

Search this forum for 6WA.