PDA

View Full Version : Active steering in tight garage spaces

a little off
01-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Well I just had my X6 built and I didnt do my homework on active steering and my salesman sucked with his advice so I didnt order it.

Anyway so i am trying to somehow now ease the pain of this horrible mistake. So heres my question.

When I pull in or back out of my garage its a tight squeeze on both sides. I really need to use the side cameras in order to avoid hitting the walls. I have to move ever so slowly because the slightest deviation will cause an accident. So I was thinking.....If the active steering is so powerful then following that line of logic , would even the slightest mistake cause me to hit the wall of my garage?

AzNMpower32
01-11-2011, 07:22 AM
If the garage is that tight, how does the driver get out once the vehicle is parked?

Adi
01-11-2011, 08:01 AM
I'm guessing it is just the entry/exit door where it is tight. Otherwise, I'd recommend retrofitting the 'ejector seat' option - just make sure the garage roof is high enough.

a little off
01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm guessing it is just the entry/exit door where it is tight. Otherwise, I'd recommend retrofitting the 'ejector seat' option - just make sure the garage roof is high enough.

Exactly.

The rest of the garage is wider....and remember i have an X6.....the body is very wide and hard to see out of.

I used to have a Lexus Sc430 and it didn't have cameras , I must have banged that thing up a dozen times. Imagine what would happen with the X6 and active steering? Or am I wrong about that?

a little off
01-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Another issue I thought of....

I have read everywhere and I think everyone agrees that the active steering takes some time getting used to and that when you first try it you could hit the curb.

So what happens when you bring the car to a parking garage and the valet drives your car.......doesn't he have to get used to it?

In fact i think that you sould not be able to let anyone else drive the car....correct?

Adi
01-12-2011, 05:49 AM
Active-steering is not going to help you out there - its biggest effect is at lower speeds, where it magnifies the effect when you turn the wheel. So, you are right, that a 'minor' move of the steering wheel has a bigger effect on direction than in a car without active-steering. It would be most useful in situations such as parallel parking into a tight space or turning sharply into a space but plays no role in a straight in/out, as you have. For that you'll need to rely on parking sensors, your feel for the car's width and practise.

Anyone else driving your car (such as valet service) should anyway be taking precautions and driving carefully. I see no reason to stop anyone else driving it - valets drive all sorts of cars and all customers are placing their pride & joy in their hands every day.

a little off
01-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Thanks for that ....now I dont feel quite as bad about passing on the active steering.

As for Valets.......have you been in Manhattan lately?? These guys are not exactly the most qualified guys. They smack up cars on a daily basis and most of them barely speak english....so even warning them about active steering doesnt work. I dont think I would trust them with my X6 if it had active steering .....I dont even trust them now without AS.

What I actually have to do is take a $20.00 bill and rip it in half. I leave one half with them and I take the other half with me. I tell them if the car is OK then Ill give you back the other half.

So I am nervous with valets as it is with regular steering.....with active steering I think I would have a heart attack. Im sure its a great feature but I would not have peace of mind letting others drive it or letting loved ones and friends drive it.

So wife is driving yesterday; stopped for signal in left turn lane, when light turns green she turns too sharply and we bounce over curb on left side of the car:mad: I freak; she gets pissed at me, etc. When we stop I find gouges in front and rear rims where they have impacted the curb.:bawling: Remarkably the tyres seem to be ok, although it felt horrible. She tells me these cars are tough, I feel lucky that only damage is to the rims unless there is something hidden that I can't see. After appropriate cooling off period I remind her that Active Steering is very sensitive at low speeds. Because I want to stay married I suck it up and try to understand that **** happens and that it is only metal; but it sure hurts :cry:

Ouch, sorry dude. I wonder how many valet parkers are doing the same thing to cars with AS?

i work valet and have driven a bmw 5 series with an active steering malfunction. the steering wheel was turned halfway around when the wheels were straight. not good.

a little off
01-14-2011, 07:06 AM
The quest for the real answer continues.

I called three dealerships to try out the active steering . Not one of them had one on th lot. They explained that they would never order one because it's a specialty item and some people may not like it.

I then asked the salesmen about their opinions about active steering. It was shocking to hear how little they knew and the stupid things they said to cover it up. One guy said "I don't like it because it basically turns you car into a Lexus". Another said "the computer actually steers for you".

I then asked the mechanics and these guys did know what they were talking about. Each one without exception loves active steering and prefers it over regular steering. However they did add that it does take some time in getting used to because at first you tend to overturn.

This is my biggest issue for several reasons:

1. What happens in a parking garage where the valet parks for you?

2. Pulling into my garage is straight in....the slightest turn by mistake will cause contact . I have a very hard time as it is with cameras and regular steering.

3. From what I read active steering is very exact and instantaneous. I'm not the best driver in the world , if I make a mistake and turn in front of a tractor trailor I won't have time to correct that mistake. Faster steering is not always better steering. I have never been in a situation where I couldn't turn the wheel fast enough at low speed......but I have been in situations where I almost made a bad turn and got killed. Luckily I had time to correct it. For example just last night I was about to turn out of my driveway when I saw a car with no headlights on coming down the road. Luckily I was able to stop my turn before the car was going to hit me. I wonder what would have happened if I had active steering......I think I would have made the full turn and not be alive today. I think having a bit of delay I'm your steering is not a bad thing because it allows for human error by giving you time to make a mistake. If you make abating turn with active steering.....you are dead.

TRS550
01-14-2011, 02:37 PM
BMW still hasn't worked the bugs out of active steering. My 550 doesn't have it. My friends does. His has been in the shop 3 times to fix the active steering, twice having the entire column replaced. No thanks to that. And honestly, I don't care for how it feels. In my opinion it's numb. Less feel and feedback as to what the front end is doing.

Seems like technology for technolgies sake....of which BMW is guilty as charged.

I don't think you're missing out on much.

a little off
01-14-2011, 06:01 PM
I have active steering on my car. It's useful in tight spaces. But with valets, I have gotten previous cars scratched, but then I called the place and threatened to sue them unless they paid for the necessary repairs.

Thanks....that settles it for me! I Didn't trust myself and thought that I was just rationalizing so o wouldn't have to face the pain of not getting active steering.

I truly believe active steering is an amazing feature and works great! But the valet thing is a deal breaker. Also since the turns are quicker if you make a mistake there's no time to recover....it could cost you your life and finally of course....it won't work fitting into my garage because the slightest mistake will cause a dent.

I think i feel better now......I still would love to try it . I have heard such Incredible things.

a little off
01-14-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm of the opinion that active steering is probably absolutely awesome in 9 out of 10 situations. My only issues are these:

1- I cannot find a dealer with active steering and there is no way in hell I'm gonna buy something without a test drive. ( I feel the same way about women....lol)

2- my garage is very narrow, I can barely fit my x-6 in with all cameras functioning .....even a slight wrong turn will cause a hit.
clearly in this situation I think everyone would agree that active steering would be a detriment.

3- every single person who has had active steering says there is a learning curve. Therefore a third party such as a valet could easily be involved in an accident due to a lack of experience.

4- The active steering is very responsive. Therefore if you make a wrong turn you have no time to correct it.

a little off
01-14-2011, 11:40 PM
I think they can pull it off. It's worth getting, believe me.

I do believe you but on the other hand I quoted three people above who were involved in dangerous situations due to active steering inexperience.

TRS550
01-15-2011, 07:08 AM
I think they can pull it off. It's worth getting, believe me.

My real opinion is it's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

I think it would be foolish to order it without experiencing it first hand. I hate it. Others love it. :dunno:

vern
01-15-2011, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=TRS550;5773006 I hate it. Others love it. :dunno:[/QUOTE]
I'm one of the people that love it. I've had it in both my last BMW's and if the option is offered on my next BMW I'll get it again. I will admit it takes a LITTLE getting use to.
cheers
vern

a little off
01-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I think the following two drivers have made my decision for me. I drive in Manhattan and the five boroughs most of the time. The roads are the absolute worst roads in the world coupled with tight lanes and insane drivers. If you hit a NYC pothole with active steering I think you could be in for a real problem:

As a resident of NYC I feel it is great for parrallel parking. Makes that easier and avoiding potholes. That being said I really thought there was something wrong with my car because of driving over imperfect roads. I thought the AS was malfunctioning due to the car drifting alot. But after reading here I see I am not alone. I still love the AS for spirited driving, but find it scary on bad roads. City dwellers beware.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32815

In the 335i, Active Steering with 18" inch rims has made me rethink about what I originally wrote in that post.

The combination of Active Steering + 18" rims (189s) + RTFs + NYC is not optimal at all.

Sent from my iPhone

vern
01-15-2011, 09:29 AM
I think the following two drivers have made my decision for me. I drive in Manhattan and the five boroughs most of the time. The roads are the absolute worst roads in the world coupled with tight lanes and insane drivers. If you hit a NYC pothole with active steering I think you could be in for a real problem:

Sent from my iPhone
I hit a pothole that destroyed the run flat tire and rim on the left front in my 2005 530i and did no damage to the active steering. Good luck
cheers
vern

a little off
01-15-2011, 10:53 AM
It's not the damage to the as that the issue but rather the loss of control with the as after hitting said pothole . AS is very twictch and after hitting a pothole you could careen out of contr .You have to understand here in NY we don't have potholes we have craters!

I do however think that in every other place active steering would probably be the way to go.

Take care!

vern
01-15-2011, 11:00 AM
It's not the damage to the as that the issue but rather the loss of control with the as after hitting said pothole . AS is very twictch and after hitting a pothole you could careen out of contr .You have to understand here in NY we don't have potholes we have craters!

I do however think that in every other place active steering would probably be the way to go.

Take care!
After hitting the pothole there was no problem with the AS. the car tracked straight.
cheers
vern

a little off
01-15-2011, 11:41 AM
After hitting the pothole there was no problem with the AC. the car tracked straight.
cheers
vern

I wasn't talking about the airconditioning mate. LOL.....just kidding , I knew what you meant.

Ciao

ProRail
01-26-2011, 08:47 PM
I wasn't talking about the airconditioning mate. LOL.....just kidding , I knew what you meant.

Ciao

I think you made the right choice for you.

davelv
03-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Active steering is fantastic. It reduces wheel movement and effort at low speed, and is unnoticable at more than 20 mph or so.

Those who don't live with it daily don't know what they are missing.

A word of warning - if you get one BMW with it, every BMW in your house should have it to avoid being pissed off at the cars without it.

Yorgi
03-05-2011, 08:01 PM
I have active steering on my 650i and personally I hate it. One trait BMWs are known for is the telepathic connection to the road they provide. Active steering numbs this feedback you normally get in a BMW. At parking lot speeds I feel like I'm driving an over-boosted Toyota.

The steering does feel OK at highway speeds. I've tracked my 650i and it was still a blast at the limit. I do not like non-linear controls on cars. Whether it's steering, throttle or brakes I feel the controls should be linear.

Active steering has quite a few reliability issues based on posts in the 6 series forum. It also costs a small fortune to fix if you are out of warranty.