PDA

View Full Version : oil lamp on

New535xi
01-11-2011, 08:25 AM
I just purched a 08 535 xi M package,heads up display,Nav, fully loaded and i've had it for about a month now both in nov of 2010 with only 29500kms now car has about 32000 kms and a week after driving it i noticied the engine oil lamp coming on when ever i turned on the car didnt think much first time owning a bmw i thought usually it gives you warning and i checked the system befor it said oil okay.tonight my wife was driving it going to walmart and she called me said the oil lamp light came on again and said very low engine oil my cause damange to engine if you keep driving it.i havent looked to see if there is any leaks or anything yet as it is dark outside will check in the morning before calling bmw..and about 2 weeks ago the engine seemed about louder then first not really noticialbe but i noticed it and i used to put 94 octain fuel but i started to just follow the manuel and put 91.. dont know if its related please let me know if any one else had this problem i love the way the car looks and drives lots of people have told me not to buy a bmw are nothing but problems but i went againts every one and got it..hopefully its nothing big please any input would be greatly app..i hate going to dealer ships because i think they fix 1 thing and cause 2 problems instead
:(

Adi
01-11-2011, 09:06 AM
TBH I am not up on the more recent models but I guess there is no dipstick on yours to make it easy to check the oil level yourself? Stupid, stupid design IMHO and other people here have also commented. Nevertheless, you need to take it (get it towed?) to a garage to get it checked - it may just be a faulty sensor. Intermittent warning would seem to point in that direction.

6 Brit
01-11-2011, 01:07 PM
do not drive the car with the oil light on...you can destroy your motor if the oil is low or if you have lost oil pressure for some reason.

New535xi
01-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Okay so i went to bmw today the service guy seemed pretty much like it wasent a big deal...he tells me " oh thats common with all the bmw's 3,5,7 series he is like your car takes about 7.5 liter of oil so if it goes lower then 6.5 liters then the light will come on so inbetween oil changes your car will burn 1 liter of oil so you always have to top it off : ( they charged me 10 bux for the 1 liter oil bottle and i got a car wash i really find it weird but he said its reallly common he is like the bigger engine cars ussually need even 2 liters to fill up inbetween oil changes

New535xi
01-11-2011, 09:53 PM
so i went to bmw dealer today and the service guy tells me oh its okay its really common with these cars 3,5,7 series he is like they ussually burn 1 liter of oil between oil changes and hes is like your car takes about 7.5 liters and when it goes lower then 6.5 the light comes on so he is like you will have to top it of between oil changes i find that really really weird but he is like its not burning or leaking so you have nothing to worry about

gtxragtop
01-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Sure with 15K mile BMW oil changes, burning 1 liter is possible. Now the interesting part.... 1 quart per 1000 miles was also considered NORMAL. I can't imagine dealing with an engine with no dipstick that consumes at this rate.

6 Brit
01-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Sure with 15K mile BMW oil changes, burning 1 liter is possible. Now the interesting part.... 1 quart per 1000 miles was also considered NORMAL. I can't imagine dealing with an engine with no dipstick that consumes at this rate.

+1

newfangled crap if you ask me :tsk:

no offense to the OP but I would never consider a vehicle with no dipstick

New535xi
01-22-2011, 08:06 PM
got check engine light on again looks like they replaced the egnition coil on cycl 4 car just shakes when you first start the car