PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Map Update

Stanesq
01-11-2011, 08:35 AM
I just got an email offering me a 2011 Navigation Map update. Considering I picked up my car less than a month ago, I would like to think I should have the most current maps. Anyone get these from the dealer for free?

FPNY
01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
i got the same email. i dont think you can update these nav systems as my understanding is they are internet based, not dvd based like the old ones were. it's kind of insulting to get an email like that after taking delivery on a $60,000 + car.

DXK
01-11-2011, 12:20 PM
You guys probably got update offers for your old cars, which are DVD based. The Nav company database does not know you no longer have the car.
The new one can be updated by the dealer only, I think

Jack the cat
01-12-2011, 04:42 AM
Discussed this with my dealer in Nashville last week. Stated the new F10 is a hard drive system and is updated only with a download from the dealer. When available, I would be notified by email or letter. Cost is approx. $350 for the update. Also said that since I purchased in August, I would already have the 2011 version installed. I have not received either an email or letter that an update is available.

To me, the BMW Nav system is one of the weakest points. My system, while the most current, is quite old. Streets added in the past two years are simply missing. And, the update is three times more than purchasing a new Garmin or Tom Tom. What can you do?

SuperTerp
03-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Guess the only real plus is that they're at least putting updates out.

Jack the cat
06-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Since I previously posted to this site, thought I would share my unfortunate experience here.

I have an August 2010 delivery which had the 2010 maps. One of the problems I had is living in a new area, most of the roads, which are now 4-5 years old, were not on the maps. Reading elsewhere in this forum that the 2011 was significantly better, decided to take a chance and have the dealer install the new version. Of course the service personnel had no idea a new version was available, which should have been my first clue. I also tried to convince them to replace under warranty and was told they were not defective.

Since it is a hard drive system, you must purchase the part (assume 1 or more DVD's) and then have it installed at the dealer. They must receive activation codes from BMW for the update to then be loaded.

The dealer had no idea what the cost would be. When I indicated I had read it should cost roughly $450, the said "That sounds about right".:thumbup:

The install took all day and cost $665. $344 for the part, $241 installation labor, $24 sales tax. Not bad for a day in the shop for a BMW. My feeling is these cars are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain. So close your eyes and go.

Now the worst part. I see no improvement of any kind. The missing roads are still missing. The interface is still the same clumsy 6-click entry as before. The missing roads have been on Google maps for 3 years.

Hope this helps someone out there. As for me, I think I'll wait a few years and hope for and aftermarket system.:flush: