PDA

View Full Version : BMW X1 Delayed Until Fall

TJPark01
01-11-2011, 01:19 PM
No surprise really, but in case you didn't hear...

Here***8217;s one tidbit we picked up at the 2011 Detroit auto show: BMW has decided to delay the U.S.-market introduction of the X1 crossover until the fall of this year; the X1***8217;s rollout was originally planned for early 2011. Evidently, the Leipzig, Germany, production plant in which the X1 is built (alongside the 1-series) can barely make enough of them for the European market, and to add the considerable demand of the U.S. market to the production fray is not possible at this point.

How long will we wait for the X1? ***8220;Until fall of ***8217;11 at the absolute earliest,***8221; according to BMW spokesman Tom Plucinsky. If you really can***8217;t wait to take a test drive in one, and live somewhere near the Canadian border, the X1 will be in showrooms there early this year as scheduled, according to Plucinsky.
Waiting for the 1: BMW X1 Delayed Until Fall (http://blog.caranddriver.com/waiting-for-the-1-bmw-x1-delayed-until-fall/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+caranddriver%2Fblog+%28Car+an d+Driver+Blog%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)

Follow our full E84 X1 coverage at http://www.bimmerfest.com/tag/X1

Blanckmoer
01-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Commiserations to those in the US having to wait for X1 availability. I drive one since one month now living in the UK, and it has served me well. As it happens we experienced unusual amounts of snow and frost which gave me ample chance to test the 4 wheel drive features. Performed very well. Thumbs up!

X3 Skier
01-19-2011, 05:36 AM
Bummer! :mad:

daron001
03-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Too bad about the delay...

sunstorm
03-19-2011, 04:31 AM
As its really good selling in rest the world, they will come late, just like X6 in China, 6 mth waiting list.....

AzNMpower32
03-22-2011, 04:49 PM
BMW NA is not interested in selling the X1 in the US, obviously. Probably not well-suited for American tastes. So continuously delaying the release here doesn't matter, since 99,9% of US drivers don't even know it exists.

Keep it up BMW. That way I won't feel bad switching to a VW Golf.

TJPark01
03-22-2011, 04:56 PM
BMW NA is not interested in selling the X1 in the US, obviously. Probably not well-suited for American tastes. So continuously delaying the release here doesn't matter, since 99,9% of US drivers don't even know it exists.

Keep it up BMW. That way I won't feel bad switching to a VW Golf.

Quite the contrary. They didn't expect the demand from Europe. There was so much domestic demand that they didn't have the capacity of exporting any. The market for CUV, especially the small ones has been incredibly strong in the united states. Personally, I don't get these things. A Golf seems much more sensible and efficient to me. Why do you need ground clearance unless you live in the mountains or on a farm?

DougS
03-25-2011, 01:42 PM
The answer to that question is really simple. I need the AWD drive capabilities to get through the typical suburban New York winter. While I don't live in the mountains, I have to travel over interstates, hilly and twisty local roads on my daily 100 mile commute. These roads may, or may not be plowed. After years of driving RWD and FWD cars, I now view AWD as a necessity. For example, during a storm last year, I had to use my X3 to pull my wife's FWD car (with snow tires) over a snow covered incline near our home - just so it could be parked in a safe spot until the roads were cleared.

As for the body style - sedans just don't have the versatility. Large SUVs are too cumbersome and inefficient, and most compact hatchbacks are just too compact. Toss in the need to have something fun to drive during the other three season, and our love of a manual transmission, the number of cars that fit the bill becomes very small. Thus we wait for the X1, hoping it will be a suitable replacement for a remarkably versatile, mechanically reliable, bright metallic red, manual transmission, 2001 PT cruiser with 260,000 miles.

Oh, by the way, while driving near BMW's northern NJ headquarters today, I saw a X1 on the road. I could only manage on photo, but it looked sleek from the side.

AzNMpower32
03-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Quite the contrary. They didn't expect the demand from Europe. There was so much domestic demand that they didn't have the capacity of exporting any. The market for CUV, especially the small ones has been incredibly strong in the united states. Personally, I don't get these things. A Golf seems much more sensible and efficient to me. Why do you need ground clearance unless you live in the mountains or on a farm?
Agreed the Golf does make more sense.

The X1 is essentially the old E83 X3, which is great for old-fashioned folk like me who liked the old X3's reflexes and think the new X3 has gone soft and lost its edge. But the X1 rides firmly and the interior materials aren't as nice as the X3 or the 3er, even when optioned with leather and premium interior trims.

So the X1 risks falling into the reputation of the old X3, with similar complaints from the American public. Most people will compare it with the Toyota Rav4 and Mazda CX-whatever, and say the X1 is too expensive and too small. Luxury car buyers would rather have the new X3 and say the X1 rides too hard and is "too cheap" inside.

Evlengr
03-28-2011, 07:05 AM

AzNM..you should take a look at the new Countryman by mini-cooper. Awesome little suv and can be had FULLY loaded with every option for under $34k.

http://www.miniusa.com/#/learn/FACTS_FEATURES_SPECS/Top_Features-m

Will check with my MC dealer and see if they have one to drive and get back to those.

AzNMpower32
03-28-2011, 07:46 AM
AzNM..you should take a look at the new Countryman by mini-cooper. Awesome little suv and can be had FULLY loaded with every option for under $34k.

http://www.miniusa.com/#/learn/FACTS_FEATURES_SPECS/Top_Features-m

Will check with my MC dealer and see if they have one to drive and get back to those.
I've been in various Mini Coopers and was also lucky enough to have one as a rental in Germany. Good car, but it's too quirky and unusual inside for me. I prefer a more traditional, intuitive interior design. Plus, I don't like the idea of the Countryman version of the Mini (shouldn't the Mini just be that, a Mini? Not a stretched Clubman or raised up crossover thing)

Evlengr
03-30-2011, 01:03 AM
I've been in various Mini Coopers and was also lucky enough to have one as a rental in Germany. Good car, but it's too quirky and unusual inside for me. I prefer a more traditional, intuitive interior design. Plus, I don't like the idea of the Countryman version of the Mini (shouldn't the Mini just be that, a Mini? Not a stretched Clubman or raised up crossover thing)

Well then shouldn't the X1 be its own design and not a squished down version of the X3? It would be a hard choice between the X1 and Countryman, but given the pricing and options I would probably go for the mini.

AzNMpower32
03-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Well then shouldn't the X1 be its own design and not a squished down version of the X3? It would be a hard choice between the X1 and Countryman, but given the pricing and options I would probably go for the mini.
The X1 is not a squished down version of the X3- it actually came out before the F25 X3. It's derived heavily from the 1er (which is based on the 3er). Easy to tell from the interior as well.

I know that BMW NA, if it ever does sell the X1 here, won't sell the variant I want: an sDrive20d with 3 pedals.

DUH CAR
03-30-2011, 12:45 PM
The X1 is not a squished down version of the X3- it actually came out before the F25 X3. It's derived heavily from the 1er (which is based on the 3er). Easy to tell from the interior as well.

Actually, the X1 has the exact same wheelbase as the 3 series, whilst the 1 series is on a smaller wheelbase. If you have ever sat in the front seat of an X1 you would know that its pedigree is a 3 series.

iamthewalrus
03-30-2011, 12:59 PM
I know that BMW NA, if it ever does sell the X1 here, won't sell the variant I want: an sDrive20d with 3 pedals.

I'd settle for gas 2.0L + Turbo with 3 pedals. :)

X3 Skier
03-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Any version with a Manual would suit me.

Cheers

AzNMpower32
03-30-2011, 04:30 PM
I'd settle for gas 2.0L + Turbo with 3 pedals. :)
Too thirsty. Turbos suck a lot of fuel when asked to do work, and the X1 certainly won't be mistaken for a Lotus Elise. Looking at user real world consumption for the X1, the petrol models are quite a bit thirstier than diesels, about 25-30%.

Fuel consumption and COČ emissions are now in the Top 5 most important factors for me. In fact, the main reason I'd ever rid my X3 is because of my ever more-stringent expectations.

I know many of y'all might think this is silly in the US, but I get about 12 l/100km (19,6 US mpg) in urban driving and 8,5 l/100km (27,6 US mpg) on the highway in the X3, which emits 291 COČ g/km. My next car has to emit less than 160 g/km and ideally drink less than 7,5 l/100km (31 US mpg) on the highway.

debora450
04-04-2011, 02:24 AM
it indeed is a thirsty model.

m5james
04-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Out in Dubai for about 3 weeks, saw this a few days ago.

copyace
04-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Just put in my order for a Mini Countryman when my X3 lease ends in June. Not going to wait for an X1 I may not like and probably won't come with a manual the way BMW is going. I like a car with some quirkiness -- it's fun to drive -- and while I wish the seating position was a little higher it's not all that important as having another AWD manual SUV for Chicago's winters.
>>Brent

David1
04-18-2011, 05:46 AM
Too thirsty. Turbos suck a lot of fuel when asked to do work, and the X1 certainly won't be mistaken for a Lotus Elise. Looking at user real world consumption for the X1, the petrol models are quite a bit thirstier than diesels, about 25-30%.

Fuel consumption and COČ emissions are now in the Top 5 most important factors for me. In fact, the main reason I'd ever rid my X3 is because of my ever more-stringent expectations.

I know many of y'all might think this is silly in the US, but I get about 12 l/100km (19,6 US mpg) in urban driving and 8,5 l/100km (27,6 US mpg) on the highway in the X3, which emits 291 COČ g/km. My next car has to emit less than 160 g/km and ideally drink less than 7,5 l/100km (31 US mpg) on the highway.

What you save I will burn for you and then some. I can care less about COČ rattings. The human race will nor dissapear from COČ. If you are worried about COČ, get rid of all the smoking clunkers.

m5james
04-26-2011, 09:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vtkot2Vwzw

Evlengr
04-27-2011, 04:17 AM
No one has mentioned that they may be delaying the X1 so as not to cut into X3 sales. There is a huge marketing push on the X3 and the demo they are marketing to could be easily confused and spend less grabbing the X1.

Really dissappointed in the new X3. A lot of hype with little return.

AzNMpower32
04-27-2011, 07:11 AM
No one has mentioned that they may be delaying the X1 so as not to cut into X3 sales. There is a huge marketing push on the X3 and the demo they are marketing to could be easily confused and spend less grabbing the X1.

Really dissappointed in the new X3. A lot of hype with little return.
Well, it seems to be selling pretty well- it outsold the X5 and X6 combined. And probably due to manufacturing or logistics hiccups, the waiting period is out the door and around the block as well.

DUH CAR
04-27-2011, 10:55 AM

I heard that they delayed the X1 launch in Canada until the X3 was launched. They really only like to do one at a time. Could also have known about the new engine coming for the X1 too which would have meshed in with a few month's delay.

m5james
04-27-2011, 11:35 AM
That's because the X3 is like the 3 series...it's cheap enough that people can afford to get the BMW badge but it's the bottom of the barrel car. I compared newer X3's to our 01 X5 and the X3 was terribly cheap feeling inside, there is no getting around that. Not to mention the X3's headlights (particularily how the marker lights look added on since they're not even the same size) look terrible. The X1 on the otherhand looked quite nice and almost felt as big (w/o the ground clearance climbing in) of my X5.

AzNMpower32
04-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Rule #1 when designing a car for the NA market: Water everything down then bundle it for simplicity's sake. The X3 and X5 are targeted squarely at the US, since we continue to have a love affair with large cars and a high seating position. The X1 came out years ago with Europe in mind. And since Canadians have better taste and the market tends to lean more towards the European side of things, it makes sense for the X1 to come out there first.

kyfdx
04-28-2011, 08:56 AM
The X3 and X5 are targeted squarely at the US, since we continue to have a love affair with large cars and a high seating position.

Perfect description of my wife.. When her lease is up in October, she wants the new X3... Not interested in anything that looks like a wagon, to her... has to be an SUV...

Gave up on fighting it... she gets what she wants.. the new X3 is it... X1 need not apply..

m5james
04-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Rule #1 when designing a car for the NA market: Water everything down then bundle it for simplicity's sake. The X3 and X5 are targeted squarely at the US, since we continue to have a love affair with large cars and a high seating position. The X1 came out years ago with Europe in mind. And since Canadians have better taste and the market tends to lean more towards the European side of things, it makes sense for the X1 to come out there first.

X3 and X5 targeted at the US? Granted Abu Dhabi/Dubai, UAE don't represent the whole of the United States, but in that 3 weeks I was there I never saw one X3 and I've literally never seen so many X5 and X6's (///M and not), Range Rovers, Mercedes (ML, GL and all of their top of the line cars), Porsche Cayenne (turbo and non) and Toyota/Lexus Sequioa/Land Cruiser/LX 470/LX 570's all over the place....clearly they like their large, street queen, gas guzzling SUV/SAV's like we do, but they averaged $1.20 US a gallon for minimum 96 octane.

Evlengr
04-30-2011, 11:23 PM

Don't care what it is derived from..perception is reality and it looks like a squished version of an X3. Its an SAV and doesn't remotely resemble the 1 or 3 series from the outside when compared to the other X series.

Personally with gas nearing $5 a gal the X1 would probably crush the X3 in sales. They probably realize the potential danger to introducing a competitor to their own product.

TJPark01
05-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Autoblog Report: BMW X1 won't go on sale in U.S. until late 2012 (http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/02/bmw-x1-wont-go-on-sale-in-u-s-until-late-2012/)

The BMW X1 compact crossover went on sale in Europe in November 2009, and ever since its launch, we've heard plenty of reports about the CUV's on-sale date being pushed back here in the United States. The X1 is in very high demand in Europe, and limited supplies are what's causing the crossover's launch here in the U.S. to be delayed. Automotive News now reports that the X1 will not arrive on our shores until the end of 2012. BMW had initially planned to launch the X1 in the U.S. earlier this year.
Another key factor for the X1's late arrival in the U.S. is strong early demand for the larger X3 crossover, which received a complete overhaul for the 2011 model year. BMW sold 5,710 X3s in the first quarter of 2011, compared to 1,355 units in Q1 2010. Even with its delay here in the U.S., the X1 is still scheduled to arrive at Canadian dealerships in the very near future.

X3 Skier
05-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Autoblog Report: BMW X1 won't go on sale in U.S. until late 2012 (http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/02/bmw-x1-wont-go-on-sale-in-u-s-until-late-2012/)

Nice Photos. I just finished reading the Roundel for March (catching up) and the BMW "Spokesman" was quoted as saying it was coming to the USA this fall. :dunno:

Cheers

Evlengr
05-04-2011, 01:41 AM
"Another key factor for the X1's late arrival in the U.S. is strong early demand for the larger X3 crossover, which received a complete overhaul for the 2011 model year."

That sounds awfully close to we don't want to ruin our sales by introducing a cheaper competitor, hmm

AzNMpower32
05-04-2011, 08:06 AM
That sounds awfully close to we don't want to ruin our sales by introducing a cheaper competitor, hmm
Which goes back to my hypothesis: BMW just isn't interested in selling an X1 in the states.

DUH CAR
05-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Which goes back to my hypothesis: BMW just isn't interested in selling an X1 in the states.

I think they want to, but three things happened (ordered by importance) that have made them hold back:

1) Popularity in Europe and elsewhere has constrained the quantity that they can supply. This is true as the Germans had to work over Christmas holidays which is something that they rarely do.
2) The new X3 that is built in the U.S. was also being launched and will be available to purchase. This will satisfy alot of potential X1/X3 customers.
3) The new 4cyl 2.0L turbo is just being introduced.

I'm just thankful that Canada squeaked by.............

iamthewalrus
05-30-2011, 07:28 PM
I saw one in Vancouver BC this weekend, and it confirmed to me that this will be my next BMW. That is, if it comes with a manual transmission in the US. It's really the perfect size for a city, but with enough ground clearance and AWD to reach my favorite trailheads in the Cascades mountains. It's definitely not surprising that worldwide demand is causing BMW to hit production capacity. This looks to be a great BMW. This is going to be wildly popular in the US when it eventually arrives. I know so many urban yuppies with outdoor hobbies who are already drooling over this car.

-James
Seattle, WA

tagheuer
07-27-2011, 10:47 AM
any further updates on this, or are we still looking at end of 2012 for US?

The lease on our 328xi is up June 30, 2012....can't you extend for 6 months if you intend to get another BMW?

Otherwise its Mini Countryman.