PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts to share on the A/C?

bgstucki
01-11-2011, 03:01 PM
I've been looking at the new F10. Since I live in Las Vegas, one thing I have to consider is just how good the air conditioning performs.

Did anyone have their F10 early enough in 2010 that the A/C was used? Strong air? Cold air?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on real world use.

TJPark01
01-11-2011, 06:58 PM
I've been looking at the new F10. Since I live in Las Vegas, one thing I have to consider is just how good the air conditioning performs.

Did anyone have their F10 early enough in 2010 that the A/C was used? Strong air? Cold air?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on real world use.

I got it the first week it was out in the US. So I had it all summer. I live in LA so heat is a concern. I got the ventilated seats just for that reason, as well as tinted all windows, and bot the windshield sunshade.
The a/c system is stellar performance wise. I don't like the fact it turns on when you start the car though.
Positives: Car gets cold fast, the HVAC is top notch on this car. The ventilated seats are only a fan and doesn't cool your backside, but it does keep you from being a sweaty mess, so I would recommend them.
Neg: HVAC system starts when you start the car to the last position when you turned the car off. Don't care for that, and you can't turn that function off.

One more thing, the car can run a fan while it's park to vent hot air from the car. I found this to be pretty useless, when it's 90+, all it's doing is circulating hot air around. The tint and sunshade do a much better job at cooling the car.

ianbjor
01-11-2011, 09:26 PM
I got it the first week it was out in the US. So I had it all summer. I live in LA so heat is a concern. I got the ventilated seats just for that reason, as well as tinted all windows, and bot the windshield sunshade.
The a/c system is stellar performance wise. I don't like the fact it turns on when you start the car though.
Positives: Car gets cold fast, the HVAC is top notch on this car. The ventilated seats are only a fan and doesn't cool your backside, but it does keep you from being a sweaty mess, so I would recommend them.
Neg: HVAC system starts when you start the car to the last position when you turned the car off. Don't care for that, and you can't turn that function off.

Did you have an E60? What did you think of the AC in that car?

One more thing, the car can run a fan while it's park to vent hot air from the car. I found this to be pretty useless, when it's 90+, all it's doing is circulating hot air around. The tint and sunshade do a much better job at cooling the car.

The vent feature (at least on the E60, I'd assume it's the same on the F10) circulates the air inside the car with outside air. This is very effective: If the air in the car is 140F and the outside temp is 90F, this is very helpful.

Living in Arizona, where it can be 150F inside the car in the summer, I know. :thumbup:

TJPark01
01-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Did you have an E60? What did you think of the AC in that car?

The vent feature (at least on the E60, I'd assume it's the same on the F10) circulates the air inside the car with outside air. This is very effective: If the air in the car is 140F and the outside temp is 90F, this is very helpful.

Living in Arizona, where it can be 150F inside the car in the summer, I know. :thumbup:

Never had an E60, so I can't compare.
I used the vent feature in the F10 on a 100 degree day last summer and when I got in the car it just felt like someone had a hairdryer to my face

beashonda
01-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Never had an E60, so I can't compare.
I used the vent feature in the F10 on a 100 degree day last summer and when I got in the car it just felt like someone had a hairdryer to my face

I have an F10, I've been the proud owner of for 3 weeks today, but I was an owner of a E60 and that car kicked with A/C. We had many, many 90+ days this past summer and I nearly always had the force of the fan at the lowest setting (soft) and 4 bars in iDrive and temp at 70-72 (A/C setting were in Idrive which were a bit confusing) . I was always comfortable. One thing I have noticed on the 3 BMW's I have owned is that you get cold a/c and hot heat.

bbmertz
01-15-2011, 08:48 AM
I too have been pleased with the A/C on hot days in LA. The only feature that annoys me about this car and most other BMWs is that the temperature of the air from the vents is determined by the blue/red wheel in the center of the dashboard, regardless of what temperature the "automatic" A/C is set to.

Rafa
01-15-2011, 09:05 AM
I too have been pleased with the A/C on hot days in LA. The only feature that annoys me about this car and most other BMWs is that the temperature of the air from the vents is determined by the blue/red wheel in the center of the dashboard, regardless of what temperature the "automatic" A/C is set to.

I am actually glad to have this feature. With the temp in a zone set at, say, 70 degrees, I sometimes want to feel cool air on my face, so I dial the blue. Conversely, on very cold mornings I still want the temp in the zone to be 70 but I want to feel warm pronto, so I dial the red. In both cases, the auto AC will maintain the 70 degree temp while providing cooler or warmer air to the upper portion of your body as you prefer.

If you do not care for these adjustments, just leave the vent setting halfway between blue and red, and forget about it. The auto AC will maintain your set temp in the zone evenly.

bbmertz
01-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks for your inisights, Rafa. I hadn't thought about this feature from that perspective.

melor
01-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Personally I find the volume of air disappointing. Yes it blows cool, but compared to my wife's Mercedes GL550, and previously owned GM cars, it is wimpy. The Mercedes and GM A/C's would have messed your hair on full blast. Once the car is cooled, this is not an issue, but on hot days in Southern California, I wouldn't mind a little more volume of cold air. I don't own a 5 series BMW, but a 335i. This was one of the first things I checked when I looked at the 5 and found the air to be of similar ( low ) volume like my 335. It must be a corporate plan. I will get the ventilated seats when the time comes.

Paul

Rafa
01-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Personally I find the volume of air disappointing. Yes it blows cool, but compared to my wife's Mercedes GL550, and previously owned GM cars, it is wimpy. The Mercedes and GM A/C's would have messed your hair on full blast. Once the car is cooled, this is not an issue, but on hot days in Southern California, I wouldn't mind a little more volume of cold air.

Paul

The air flow in the F10 is fully adjustable. Just push the Auto button to get the fan out of automatic mode and adjust the fan speed with the fan controls. The AC will maintain your set temp but blow whatever volume of air you choose. Try it, neither you nor your wife will be disappointed, I'm sure.

Rafa
01-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Personally I find the volume of air disappointing. Yes it blows cool, but compared to my wife's Mercedes GL550, and previously owned GM cars, it is wimpy. The Mercedes and GM A/C's would have messed your hair on full blast. Once the car is cooled, this is not an issue, but on hot days in Southern California, I wouldn't mind a little more volume of cold air. I don't own a 5 series BMW, but a 335i. This was one of the first things I checked when I looked at the 5 and found the air to be of similar ( low ) volume like my 335. It must be a corporate plan. I will get the ventilated seats when the time comes.

Paul

Also, I forgot to mention, move the air settings beside the air exits away from "diffuse mode" to "direct mode". The flow of air feels stronger in direct mode.

My comments refer to the AC in the F10, but the settings are probably similar in the 3 series.

markl53
01-16-2011, 09:39 PM

What year is your 335i? They made a change to the way the fan is controlled in 2009 or 2010. In auto mode, the fan speed is shown as 5 "blocks", this is the auto intensity setting. It is not the fan speed itself. In auto mode, when you adjust the fan speed you are really changing the "intensity", that is, the range of speeds the auto fan will be allowed to use. The indicator will not change as the fan speed changes automatically. You may have your intensity setting too low and not allowing the fan to use the higher speeds. If so, in auto mode, move your fan speed up to the 4th or 5th block if necessary. You'll notice when you go into manual mode, the "blocks" on the fan speed disappear and you are controlling the actual fan speed directly.

In 2008 and prior, pressing the fan speed even in auto mode switched the fan over to manual mode -- not the case anymore. Many people are confused about the new auto intensity setting feature. It allows people to set the range of auto fan speeds because some people prefer lower speeds in general while some like more air circulating.

melor
01-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Rafa and Mark, on my 08 335i I can set the fan speed to high manual and recirc on the input source. This provides the highest volume of air. Still less than I would like.

This behavior is not a problem with my car as I have compared it to 3 series loaners and the 5 series that I have driven. I would say the new 5 is a little better than my 335, but still nothing like many other makes I have driven. Personally I will buy a BMW for many reasons, but not stellar A/C. Yes, the car gets comfortably cool, but I want to feel it in my hair!

Paul

Rafa
01-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Does your car have adjustable "ventilation levels"? The F10 has a dial to adjust the ventilation levels: one, where the air current is fanned out (dispersed); another provides for maximum air volume by partially fanning out the air and partially bundling it; and still another that provides direct ventilation by bundling the air which can then be directed to a specific point. My experience is that this last setting will provide the strongest draft and you can point it to your face for maximum feel and effect. This last setting, in unison with the highest setting of the manual air volume that directly controls the fan speed/air intensity, provides the effect that you are looking for I believe. I, like you, sometimes enjoy a strong blast of artic air and the settings I describe above provide it. Hopefully you will find this sufficient!

The last "trick" that occurs to me is to press the max button and have the direct ventilation blowing air in your direction. Let us know how it goes!

Rafa
01-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Just to editorialize, BMW and perhaps other manufacturers provide draft-free ventilation on the assumption that it is more elegant and refined than strong drafts. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to prefer draft-free or the more conventional ventilation. I, however, welcome the ability of the ventilation system to provide the choice, and IMO the ventilation system in the F10 provides that choice.

BimmerUKF10
01-17-2011, 01:39 AM
I am actually glad to have this feature. With the temp in a zone set at, say, 70 degrees, I sometimes want to feel cool air on my face, so I dial the blue. Conversely, on very cold mornings I still want the temp in the zone to be 70 but I want to feel warm pronto, so I dial the red. In both cases, the auto AC will maintain the 70 degree temp while providing cooler or warmer air to the upper portion of your body as you prefer.

If you do not care for these adjustments, just leave the vent setting halfway between blue and red, and forget about it. The auto AC will maintain your set temp in the zone evenly.

Hi Rafa,

You certain about this? My experience is that if you leave the setting between red and blue, the air temp from the vents is as if you'd left it set between red and blue! :-). I've certainly not noticed any automatic change in the temp through the centre vents. Try setting in the middle and compare the air stream with the A/C set at opposite extremes. To me the temp always stays the same regardless.

markl53
01-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Hi Rafa,

You certain about this? My experience is that if you leave the setting between red and blue, the air temp from the vents is as if you'd left it set between red and blue! :-). I've certainly not noticed any automatic change in the temp through the centre vents. Try setting in the middle and compare the air stream with the A/C set at opposite extremes. To me the temp always stays the same regardless.

Oh no! We had quite a go a couple months ago in the 3 series forum I think. I've had 3 BMW's. Yes, leaving the dial between red and blue is the "neutral" position. Meaning, the air temp from those center vents definitely changes along with the auto temp control. I almost always leave the dial in the middle. In the summer my air from those vents is max cold. In moderate temps, the air temperature varies along with the system. Someone went as far as using a thermometer. I'm not going to go that far, I'm simply stating that the air temp from those vents will vary without turning the knob. And the middle position seems to be the neutral point.

melor
01-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Just to editorialize, BMW and perhaps other manufacturers provide draft-free ventilation on the assumption that it is more elegant and refined than strong drafts. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to prefer draft-free or the more conventional ventilation. I, however, welcome the ability of the ventilation system to provide the choice, and IMO the ventilation system in the F10 provides that choice.

I assume since you refer to the ventilation as "draft free", you are in fact agreeing with me in that the volume of air is less than other "drafty" cars. Nice spin in that it is more elegant and refined a choice and since you put it that way, I guess I shouldn't complain about less air volume than I expected from my experience in other cars.

A feature, not a deficit!

More air on the maximum airflow settings would be nice. Restraint on the driver's part could always keep the settings low as needed.

Paul

Jack the cat
02-21-2011, 06:36 AM
Not sure this is the correct thread; will start a new one if necessary.

In the manual, pages 126 and 128, it indicates that the cooling function is switched on automatically with the AUTO climate control. I find I must manually switch AC on and off with the cooling button even when using the AUTO function. Anyone find this to function as the manual indicates?

Needsdecaf
02-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Not sure this is the correct thread; will start a new one if necessary.

In the manual, pages 126 and 128, it indicates that the cooling function is switched on automatically with the AUTO climate control. I find I must manually switch AC on and off with the cooling button even when using the AUTO function. Anyone find this to function as the manual indicates?

Why do you have to switch it on and off? Is it not on all the time when your HVAC mode is in Auto? It should be, and will cycle on and off as needed.

Are you not getting enough cooling? If not, have you adjusted the red / blue thumbwheel between the two center dash vents to blue?

markl53
02-21-2011, 06:57 AM
Why do you have to switch it on and off? Is it not on all the time when your HVAC mode is in Auto? It should be, and will cycle on and off as needed.

Just a clarification on "cycling". The snowflake (A/C) light will remain lit all the time in A/C mode unless manually turned off by the user. The compressors in German cars don't click on and off like they do on "lesser" cars -- they use a variable output compressor with none of that on/off clicking sound and idle change behavior. I just wanted to be sure the OP didn't think the A/C light goes on an off on its own. Although, I'm still not 100% sure of what he was actually asking -- it was somewhat vague.

autojack
02-21-2011, 11:06 AM
My ac blows hard and cold when needed, if I close the rear vents. Not wimpy at all.

Jack the cat
02-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Just a clarification on "cycling". The snowflake (A/C) light will remain lit all the time in A/C mode unless manually turned off by the user. The compressors in German cars don't click on and off like they do on "lesser" cars -- they use a variable output compressor with none of that on/off clicking sound and idle change behavior. I just wanted to be sure the OP didn't think the A/C light goes on an off on its own. Although, I'm still not 100% sure of what he was actually asking -- it was somewhat vague.

Guess my question was confusing.
There is a snowflake button to turn the AC on and off.
Should I just leave it on in summer and winter and AUTO will adjust the temp in winter in spite of it being on.
Or do I turn it on in the summer and off in the winter?

PsychDoc1
02-22-2011, 10:57 AM
One thing I have noticed on the 3 BMW's I have owned is that you get cold a/c and hot heat.

Whew, then I guess BMW is the car for me.

It's just soooo annoying when other car manufacturers give you hot A/C and cold heat.

This unique BMW arrangement sounds perfect!

highyo
02-22-2011, 01:10 PM

It's just soooo annoying when other car manufacturers give you hot A/C and cold heat.

hmm i think he was trying to drill the point home that the air conditioning is arctic cold and the heat is fireplace hot.

Rafa
02-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Guess my question was confusing.
There is a snowflake button to turn the AC on and off.
Should I just leave it on in summer and winter and AUTO will adjust the temp in winter in spite of it being on.
Or do I turn it on in the summer and off in the winter?

The snowflake should always be on, and you adjust the temperature in winter or summer to your liking. The system will automatically produce the temp you want. If you turn the snowflake off, the AC will not dehumidify the air, just provide ventilation. Also, with the snowflake off you can warm the cabin, but it will not cool below the outside temp

beashonda
02-22-2011, 06:55 PM

OK, smarty: let me put another way----the a/c never fails to blow air as cold as I'd like it and provide the heat as hot as I'd like it instead of wimpy systems I have felt on other cars.

Is that better?:(

beashonda
02-22-2011, 06:56 PM
hmm i think he was trying to drill the point home that the air conditioning is arctic cold and the heat is fireplace hot.

Thank you and I'm a SHE! :thumbup:

highyo
02-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Thank you and I'm a SHE! :thumbup:

omg one in 10,000!