PDA

View Full Version : Lease Return

btonic007
01-11-2011, 03:04 PM
I'll be returing my 08 535xi end of Feb and wanted to know what to except during the inspection. Are the dealers easy or will they charge for minor dings, dents, etc. I have a small dent on the side of my door from a shopping cart. Not sure if i have to worry about it. I ordered my new 535xi from the same dealer and hoping they will be flexible.

raleedy
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
If you leased through BMW FS, they have a remarkably thorough and objective lease return policy that they will share with you in due course. If you're impatient for the details, you can find them here: http://fs.bmwusa.com/BmwFsPulp/VEHLEA_LeaseEndGuide.htm

elchevere
01-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I'll be returing my 08 535xi end of Feb and wanted to know what to except during the inspection. Are the dealers easy or will they charge for minor dings, dents, etc. I have a small dent on the side of my door from a shopping cart. Not sure if i have to worry about it. I ordered my new 535xi from the same dealer and hoping they will be flexible.

A small ding will probably be considered normal wear and tear and is typically overlooked, especially if you will be getting into a new BMW. Paint scrapes, low tire tread, etc are items they will look at and charge you for, though usually at a discounted rate (i.e. a new rear tire that might ordinarily cost you $ 450 will result in 'only' a $250 charge--at least at one of my local dealers)....if it will make you sleep better, call your dealer and have one of the people who normally is assigned to inspect returnded leased vehicles give you a 'pre-inspection' estimate when you stop by.

elchevere
01-11-2011, 05:08 PM
I also forgot to ask you what your final mileage will be relative to your lease....if you come in well below your allotted mileage (i.e. at least 25% below the miles you paid for), BMW will give you a maximum $400 allowance that can be used vs. end of lease repairs and replacements. You can come in at less than 25% below and get a lower credit allowance--check with BMWFS for more details and mileage/allowance levels.

FPNY
01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
the guy who inspected my 08 535xi was less than personable. he told me that front end of my car had been repainted because he put some gauge on it and the paint was thicker than it was supposed to be. I had no idea what he was talking about. He asked me all kinds of questions about an accident, which I had never had and then asked me to sign off on his report. I refused to sign and called my CA right away about any damage that might have been done to the car prior to delivery. I was pissed about the experience with the inspector, but comparing that to the entire lease experience with BMW I have to say it was a minor thing. In the end it was not an issue....

pharding
01-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Prior to lease return I always get the car waxed and clean the interior so that the car looks really good. That definitely helps. The other thing to do is turn in the car where you are getting a replacement if that is the case. Turn it into your CA if possible.

dominoaz
01-12-2011, 12:10 AM
My dealer has someone on staff to accept the lease returns. Very thorough, but fair. It doesn't hurt to have a clean car. If your car is messed up, bring it in on a rainy day. A wet car hides a multitude of imperfections.

beashonda
01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Agree with posters here. I had a small ding on drivers door and heard nothing about it. I was asked if there had been any repaired damage to the car, which I had 2 bumpers replaced (don't ask, not my fault either time within 30 days) at the dealerships certified BMW repair shop. Only thing I was liable for was mileage overage, which they will bill you for.

DarienJim
01-12-2011, 05:38 PM
A small ding will probably be considered normal wear and tear and is typically overlooked, especially if you will be getting into a new BMW. .

What about the old rule of thumb that any dent smaller than a quarter is ok????

TheCount1
01-12-2011, 05:53 PM

If your lease is up at the end of Feb BMWFS should have already sent you a lease return kit which explains what dings are OK and which are not. It also includes a tool to measure them.

You may have trashed it thinking it was just an ad for a new car.

Sent from my iPod touch using BimmerApp

bmrboy2008
01-12-2011, 05:55 PM
I had a very minute ding on the rear bumper and some very light curb rash on the underside of the front right bumper on my 535i when I returned it to BMW. However, they were either overlooked or not significant enough to the inspector to warrant any charge. In fact, the inspector commented to me on on how she could not believe that I had driven my car over 45K miles without one single dent or ding. :D

dave70
01-14-2011, 07:52 PM
What about the old rule of thumb that any dent smaller than a quarter is ok????

They will be much more flexible if you are leasing a new vehicle. Agreed that a good tip is to get it cleaned before you bring it in.