PDA

View Full Version : Wait for March prod? Or stick with my Jan prod and holiday credit

Kar Don
01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Contemplating switching to march production but I will lose the holiday credit and will have the pay the 500 dollar MSRP hike. What would you guys do? I guess I would gain the 6NR and 6WA extended black panel and the auto start/stop function.

Rafa
01-11-2011, 09:01 PM
If you're not desperate to drive your own F10, I would recommend waiting till March. The issues with the grinding noise may very well be resolved by then, the new display should be a stunner AND there will likely be a spring credit program in place. Best of luck with your decision.

CarBrain
01-11-2011, 09:25 PM
the new display should be a stunner

What new display?

Rafa
01-11-2011, 09:50 PM
What new display?

I am referring to the extended black panel.

pharding
01-12-2011, 04:57 AM
If you can wait for March, definitely do March.

Needsdecaf
01-12-2011, 05:39 AM
Contemplating switching to march production but I will lose the holiday credit and will have the pay the 500 dollar MSRP hike. What would you guys do? I guess I would gain the 6NR and 6WA extended black panel and the auto start/stop function.

Since when are we getting stop / start here?

Argelius
01-12-2011, 06:46 AM
As I continue to do additional research, it would appear that in addition to the 6NR option and extended black panel, additional changes are coming with March 2011 build. Does anyone know the complete list of changes?

I passed the psychological barrier and am 99% sure I will be placing an order for an 535ix.

But I definitely want to wait for the March 2011 production run since it seems like there may be some significant additions.

user1796
01-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Sorry, but even though I'm a gadget person, I don't even know what the auto stop/start is, but it's one more gadget on the car that already has too many. (I ordered virtually every option available.) Also, you're considering paying at least $2k plus tax for the extended black panel display, assuming that 6NR is available via a software upgrade, which admittedly we don't know as yet.

At some point, we really need to remember that these are cars meant to be driven and not a moving collection of really cool gadgets.

That being said, I'd probably be struggling with the same decision. lol

dunderhi
01-12-2011, 07:05 AM
I wonder if the March builds will be designated as 2012s, since BMW already had one intra-model-year build change back in September. If they are 2012's, they will have a higher resale value (vs. 2011), but they will likely include another price increase too. Sweet incentives may not be available on 2012s immediately after they enter production.

Argelius
01-12-2011, 07:10 AM
At some point, we really need to remember that these are cars meant to be driven and not a moving collection of really cool gadgets.
l

Speak for yourself!

:-)

pharding
01-12-2011, 07:25 AM
I wonder if the March builds will be designated as 2012s, since BMW already had one intra-model-year build change back in September. If they are 2012's, they will have a higher resale value (vs. 2011), but they will likely include another price increase too. Sweet incentives may not be available on 2012s immediately after they enter production.
The pattern has been to make running changes as may be appropriate and change model years in the US in September, except at new model launch and Life Cycle Impulse at the mid point.

beashonda
01-12-2011, 04:15 PM

Is that true the 2012 will have a higher resale value when it comes to mileage? You'll be putting miles on a car 6-9 months before 2012 even arrives. Seems like it be the opposite to me. It's like if you put 1k miles per month on the "2012" in 2011 and then continued putting 1k miles on in 2012, you would have 16-19k miles on a one model year car? How is that a positive if you aren't going to keep forever?:confused:

bmwarchitect
01-12-2011, 06:27 PM

I passed up the holdiay credit and doing an ED delivery for April. If you can swing the ED delivery even just to pick up the car and send it to the US, you probaly will still be ahead even with the cost of the flight. Just a thought. I am also hoping for a spring drive promotion that BMW will need if this noise issue keeps up along with competition from the new AUDI A6.

x5 '08
01-12-2011, 07:06 PM

Where did you read about these new March features? 6NR?

EvolutionTheory
01-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Where did you read about these new March features? 6NR?

I'd recommend waiting for sure! Just a couple months for upgrades! Yeah!
Also, the start stop saves significantly on fuel if used. I don't see how that is a useless feature..?

Here is a link to a little more info on the March changes: http://www.germancarforum.com/bmw-lounge/35999-bmw-model-year-refresh.html

jpointe
01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
I didn't even realize there was a distinct March production when I placed my order back in December, but this thread makes me glad I'm getting it.

Is there usually a spring credit program each year?

Also, when I placed my order, I didn't hear of any $500 MSRP hike. I assumed I would get the price I negotiated for when I placed the order, which was based on what the current F10s are selling for. Perhaps just some variability among dealerships?

dunderhi
01-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Is that true the 2012 will have a higher resale value when it comes to mileage? You'll be putting miles on a car 6-9 months before 2012 even arrives. Seems like it be the opposite to me. It's like if you put 1k miles per month on the "2012" in 2011 and then continued putting 1k miles on in 2012, you would have 16-19k miles on a one model year car? How is that a positive if you aren't going to keep forever?:confused:

Take a look on Kelly Blue Book and compare a 2008 with 35,000 miles to a 2009 with 35, 000 miles. I believe you'll see a difference. If you want to compare a 1988 with 180,000 miles to 1989 with 180,000 miles you won't find much of a difference, if any at all.

bmwarchitect
01-12-2011, 08:57 PM
I didn't even realize there was a distinct March production when I placed my order back in December, but this thread makes me glad I'm getting it.

Also, when I placed my order, I didn't hear of any $500 MSRP hike. I assumed I would get the price I negotiated for when I placed the order, which was based on what the current F10s are selling for. Perhaps just some variability among dealerships?

I ordered on 12/31 and have an April ED. My dealer is holding the price I negotiated at order. I was told today that my car should have all enhancements from March that are part of the base car (in other words not options). My CA is going to double check when I send the Germancarforum link.

I think there typically is a spring program, just like the holiday programs that come out every year, but nothing is for sure, and you don't know what may be in it. The Audi A6 new model is coming out so competition will ratchet up a bit.

Kar Don
01-12-2011, 09:05 PM
I don't think it will be possible for me to wait that long unfortunately. It looks like if I do ED in march the car won't arrive till mid April. This is too long. I it's just the extended black panel and 6Nr I dont think it's that big of a deal

dunderhi
01-12-2011, 09:13 PM

It depends on your pick-up date and BMW's manufacturing schedule. If you are picking up your car in early March (like I am) it will probably be manufactured in late January or sometime in February. If your pick-up date is in late March, you might have a shot at the new gauges with a March manufacture. My CA gave me a warning with respect to the pick-up date and the Holiday Credit, if he doesn't have a VIN for a car by March 4th, the buyer could lose the Holiday Credit, since they can't sign the final papers before the rate lock expires.

My CA made it a point to submit my order prior to the price increase to save me the money. Given you timing, I would think you are in the same situation.

jpointe
01-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks, the production date I've been told is the first week of March, so it looks like I'll be getting the updated gauges.

I also got a similar warning regarding the holiday credit timing. I was told 90 days from the credit approval date, so my CA recommended me to apply on the last possible date, i.e., Jan. 3rd. He says it'll be a close call to have to manufactured and shipped out to the west coast by the end of March, but fingers crossed.

kocsis
01-13-2011, 03:53 PM
I must be losing it but in the link referenced by EvolutionTheory I did not see anything explaining the extended black panel and 6NR, though the latter seems to be the iPod upgrade, right?

Argelius
01-13-2011, 03:54 PM
I must be losing it but in the link referenced by EvolutionTheory I did not see anything explaining the extended black panel and 6NR, though the latter seems to be the iPod upgrade, right?

Yeah. 6NR has to do with enhanced iphone connectivity to BMW Connect and (likely) future app functionality...

http://itunes.apple.com/app/bmw-connected/id406975118?mt=8

kocsis
01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
But what's extended black panel?

Argelius
01-13-2011, 04:00 PM

Supposedly, "6WA" is the option code...but nobody seems definitive about what it is.

When I asled my salesguy about it, his response was:

All I know is that option 6WA was about the early production cars having a different instrument cluster if the car didnít have navigation. As of September 2010 production, all the cars have the same instrument cluster. So that one is old news

tlm999
01-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Take a look on Kelly Blue Book and compare a 2008 with 35,000 miles to a 2009 with 35, 000 miles. I believe you'll see a difference. If you want to compare a 1988 with 180,000 miles to 1989 with 180,000 miles you won't find much of a difference, if any at all.

But also remember, if you're trading, that your current vehicle will become a year older when the 2012's come out. I'll be trading a 3 year old '08 in March vs. a 4 year old '08 with additional miles in September.

Titanflux
01-16-2011, 12:45 PM
According to the fully confirmed info in the UK, from production week 9 BMW will make the following changes to the F10/11:

New leather covered instrument panel option at £900+ GBP
Cover on USB audio port removed
LHD/RHD light change switch removed
Full black panel display comes with new full colour HUD option 610
Armrest cupholder deleted for manual cars
New 6NR mobile application option @ £130 GBP which will initially provide web radio, facebook and twitter via iPhone 3GS/4 with more apps to come

No stated change to stop/start auto gearbox
No full black panel separately, only as part of the 610 HUD option

Whether that's the same for other markets who knows, but probably the same.

Full documents over on f10.5post at bimmerforums

bfv
01-16-2011, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE

Full documents over on f10.5post at bimmerforums[/QUOTE]

thanks.

MSS
01-16-2011, 05:50 PM
@jpointe

I also placed my order on dec 30. It is scheduled to be picked up in early March. It's a pcd. How can you tell what's the production date. My ca told me the will sign the papers late feb and I will get the holiday credit and deal

bfv
01-16-2011, 06:33 PM
@jpointe

I also placed my order on dec 30. It is scheduled to be picked up in early March. It's a pcd. How can you tell what's the production date. My ca told me the will sign the papers late feb and I will get the holiday credit and deal

If its a PCD in USA, most likely your car will go into production before March as she has to swim across the Atlantic for 4-5 weeks:p

But, it's useful to check with your CA.

Needsdecaf
01-16-2011, 07:02 PM

Same dash as in the 7 and GT. Full width display under the dials and sounds like you get the disappearing numbers too.

Sounds like a nice upgrade.

Kar Don
01-16-2011, 09:34 PM
After seeing titanflux's post saying you need to order HUD to get the new black panel display I'm settled. I've decided to take my extra 2k savings and low financing rather than wait another 2 months