PDA

View Full Version : Sport/Sport+ (No DHP)

shortcut3d
01-12-2011, 06:08 PM
I searched and found plenty of explanations of Comfort/Normal/Sport/Sport+ for F10's with DHP.

What is actually adjusted in the chasis in Sport/Sport+ for F10's that do not have DHP?

Is it shock vavling, steering resistance, steering ratio, nothing?

Needsdecaf
01-12-2011, 06:38 PM
I searched and found plenty of explanations of Comfort/Normal/Sport/Sport+ for F10's with DHP.

What is actually adjusted in the chasis in Sport/Sport+ for F10's that do not have DHP?

Is it shock vavling, steering resistance, steering ratio, nothing?

Steering assistance.

BimmerUKF10
01-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Sport + also disables some of the stability management.

TJPark01
01-13-2011, 09:28 AM
You are not the first person to be confused by this. The sport automatic (2TB) alone, will ONLY change the transmission shift points,throttle response and steering feedback, but it doesn't do anything to suspension. Only cars with Dynamic Handeling Package (ZDH) can do this, through DDC (dynamic damper control) and ARS (active roll stabilization). What is confusing you and many others is that in I-Drive it's showing that chassis is being adjusted when you pick sport mode. This is actually partially true in that the steering is different (but from the picture that turns orange, it looks like it's the whole car). Blame the parts bin on that one.

freebird_76
08-23-2011, 09:14 PM
You are not the first person to be confused by this. The sport automatic (2TB) alone, will ONLY change the transmission shift points,throttle response and steering feedback, but it doesn't do anything to suspension. Only cars with Dynamic Handeling Package (ZDH) can do this, through DDC (dynamic damper control) and ARS (active roll stabilization). What is confusing you and many others is that in I-Drive it's showing that chassis is being adjusted when you pick sport mode. This is actually partially true in that the steering is different (but from the picture that turns orange, it looks like it's the whole car). Blame the parts bin on that one.

I have doubt on some of that. Because at sport automatic (2TB), I feel that the suspensions feel different than in Normal mode. I am looking for a confirmation but, this is what I feel in my car. (no DDC)

Still can program sport mode...

bodonx
08-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I have doubt on some of that. Because at sport automatic (2TB), I feel that the suspensions feel different than in Normal mode. I am looking for a confirmation but, this is what I feel in my car. (no DDC)

Still can program sport mode...

That is exactly what I said on my thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562219&highlight=

As a software engineer, it is very easy to replace the image of suspension highlighted during chassis configuration. BMW puts it there for a reason.

One more thing: If the normal/button console button does not affect suspension, why BMW does not put all the steering resistance, throttle and shifting adjustment on the pulling shifter to the left (just like regular automatic)?

TJPark01
08-23-2011, 10:15 PM
That is exactly what I said on my thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562219&highlight=

As a software engineer, it is very easy to replace the image of suspension highlighted during chassis configuration. BMW puts it there for a reason.

One more thing: If the normal/button console button does not affect suspension, why BMW does not put all the steering resistance, throttle and shifting adjustment on the pulling shifter to the left (just like regular automatic)?

Guys it's a placebo affect. The steering is part of the chassis and that is what you are "feeling" people have already gone into great lengthy discussion about this, there is no hardware (adjustable shocks) or active stabilizer bars on cars without Dynamic handling package (535/550). 528i's only have DDC and no active roll stabilizers. Check the site, there are pictures, diagrams, etc. Or just believe your car has adjustable suspension as ignorance is bliss.

bodonx
08-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Guys it's a placebo affect. The steering is part of the chassis and that is what you are "feeling" people have already gone into great lengthy discussion about this, there is no hardware (adjustable shocks) or active stabilizer bars on cars without Dynamic handling package (535/550). 528i's only have DDC and no active roll stabilizers. Check the site, there are pictures, diagrams, etc. Or just believe your car has adjustable suspension as ignorance is bliss.

As I mentioned on other thread, to eliminate steering placebo effect, my friend and I drove STRAIGHT on same rough surface again and again. We both felt the sport mode is little bit less comfortable and firmer.

The difference is subtler than DHP-equipped car.

planet
08-24-2011, 01:25 AM
The moral of the story for future buyers is to just get the car with all the performance-related options ticked, and be done with it. I sympathize with existing owners, but all these "I have X, but not Y -- what does my car really do?" threads are nightmarish, given the way the options are structured.

bimluva
08-24-2011, 07:26 AM
A bit off topic, but can we switch modes while driving? If so does it it matter how fast?

Needsdecaf
08-24-2011, 07:29 AM
A bit off topic, but can we switch modes while driving? If so does it it matter how fast?

Yes, no.

bodonx
08-24-2011, 12:29 PM
The moral of the story for future buyers is to just get the car with all the performance-related options ticked, and be done with it. I sympathize with existing owners, but all these "I have X, but not Y -- what does my car really do?" threads are nightmarish, given the way the options are structured.

The purpose of the thread is to give informative opinions to prospective F10 buyers.