PDA

View Full Version : BMW Assist/Roadside Assist EXPERIENCE

Dr. Oz
01-12-2011, 07:16 PM
I park car for 3 hours and :click:click:click: no START. Tried to jump to no avail.
Called BMW Assist - "Yes, I'm in a safe location", "Yes that is my location", "Really? My battery has low voltage?, that's cool you know that, whatayou have telemetry? Cool!"

Explained to them that I tried to jump it and was unsuccessful. They said that the new BMW Batteries are hard to jump and that Biff will be coming to jump the car with a Super Duper High Tech Battery Jumping Machine. They go on to say how they are equipped to handle these situations and told me not to worry I'll make my date night with my wife.

AWESOME!
____
One Hour Later
____

Biff arrives in a 1999 Dodge Neon with a spare tire on the left rear. Does a 5 point turn to face my bimmer while making screeching belt noises. So I'm looking for this super duper magical jump starter - where is it? Is it in the trunk, maybe the back seat next to the McDonalds bag - where? where? where?

Uuhhh, No. He pulls out rusted jumper cables. Yes, you guessed it - FAIL.
Date Night - FAIL

Biff was nice kid though, tipped him 10 bucks and off he went.
Get a call from BMW Assist - explain that we FAILED. Sent Scooter with a flat bed the following morning and got to the dealership with no problems. Scooter was super nice and on time THANK YOU. By the way, the new electronic shifters require major surgery to put it into neutral without the engine started - you may want to practice at home a couple of times, just in case.

An interesting experience and for me, pretty entertaining.

Any YES, their names were really Biff and Scooter.

BMWenthusiast
01-13-2011, 02:32 AM
Biff and Scooter....was this really in Chicago?

As for experience. I haven't had any assistance service but I've tested the system and they've always seemed nice and courteous over the system.

JimD1
01-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Nice and courteous is more pleasant but I think I'd rather have curt and successful than courteous and unsuccessful! I have good jumper cables in my SUV (non bimmer), maybe I better get a set for my bimmer. I have always been able to jump other people with them, including one bimmer, so far. It generally works best to let the car doing the jumping idle for a few minutes with the cables attached to do a little charging of the car that needs the jump. I am often impatient and try to turn it over first, sometimes it will, and if that doesn't work, let it idle a little, maybe 5 minutes by a watch (or cell phone if you must) and then try again.

Another simple thing that is often the problem is the connections. You can't do a lot without taking a cable off but trying to twist it back and forth a little may establish a better connection.

Jim

Dr. Oz
01-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Defective ground strap causing voltage issues.

jsublime
01-13-2011, 02:13 PM
LOL at the first jump. I had a very similar experience. Dead battery, call roadside. 30 min later this guy in a beat up POS shows up with his kid. He was cool and able to start the car but what the heck? Where does BMW find these people. This guy was nice but he was a big dude and kinda scary looking. My wife said if she was by herself at night and that guy showed up she would have called the cops.

BMWenthusiast
01-13-2011, 10:08 PM
LOL at the first jump. I had a very similar experience. Dead battery, call roadside. 30 min later this guy in a beat up POS shows up with his kid. He was cool and able to start the car but what the heck? Where does BMW find these people. This guy was nice but he was a big dude and kinda scary looking. My wife said if she was by herself at night and that guy showed up she would have called the cops.

Good Question. I wonder how BMW contracts out with their roadside assistance companies. Looks like they all are independents, but then again so is AAA where they have independent firms who provide service but then put AAA logos on their vehicles.

I also wonder if the people came out belonged to a larger firm (i.e. in LA for AAA it's always LA Tow which is rather large company (I've seen their offices and all their vehicles)). I wonder for BMW if they're typically smaller.