PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get email/office working with iPhone?

ProudPapa
01-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Has anyone got their iPhone working with the office function in idrive? I can't seems to figure this out, is it the iPhone iOS version? Thanks

shergill
01-12-2011, 09:57 PM
I think it only works with blackberry.

BimmerUKF10
01-13-2011, 12:26 AM
It is a limitation with the phone NOT the car.

highyo
01-13-2011, 03:31 AM
It is a limitation with the phone NOT the car.

does it need to be "snapped" in to work with the blackberry?

BimmerUKF10
01-13-2011, 06:26 AM
I don't think it does, although don't know for sure since I too have an iPhone! :-)

nosnoop
01-13-2011, 10:35 AM
does it need to be "snapped" in to work with the blackberry?

No, it works through bluetooth.
It does not work in iPhone because of the limited Bluetooth profiles support that Apple bothered to implement.

Sophisto
01-13-2011, 11:32 AM
I got it (Nav Pro + bluetooth) working with my Nokia N97, but only when standing still and then it is more usefull to use the smartphone itself.

B-1 Pilot
01-13-2011, 12:05 PM
all your answers are here:

http://www.bmw.us/Standard/Content/Owner/BluetoothTechnology/bluetoothframedin.aspx

run through bmw's module and it will tell you what your model of car will and will not support with your model of phone.

Thanks to whom ever previously posted it ( i bookmarked it for future reference once it gets updated to reflect combox capabilities)

For instance a F10 with an iPhone 4 would require Navigation System Professional and Preparation for mobile phone Business with Bluetooth interface (609,639), and with that you would get NO office functionality

Titanflux
01-14-2011, 04:34 PM
It's possible I guess that a future USB post update from BMW.com/update will add this, as they plan to add additional phone driver functionality via this.

nosnoop
01-14-2011, 04:41 PM
It's possible I guess that a future USB post update from BMW.com/update will add this, as they plan to add additional phone driver functionality via this.

As mentioned before, it is an iPhone's problem, not BMW's.

lovers535xi
04-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Has anyone got their iPhone working with the office function in idrive? I can't seems to figure this out, is it the iPhone iOS version? Thanks

Base on the info from bmwusa.com , only a few BB and Sony smartphones have enabled this feature. None of apple's phones do so.
To check for yourself, search 'bluetooth' inside bmwusa.com and find the place where it allow you to enter your car model and phone model info, it will then gives you a list of features supported and non-supported.

:mad: :thumbup:

BruceFerjulian
06-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Not pleased with the menu item "OFFICE" in my shiny new car. After seeing the video about being able to see calendar, todo lists, and have my emails read I thought this was great.

Now I find out the bad news. Advanced as some of the new smartphone are, the list of phones that can work with this technology is a very short list. The biggest bummer is that the iPhone isn't on the list.

<http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/BluetoothTechnology/bluetoothframedin.aspx>

<pre>
----------------------------------------------------
AT&T : RIM/BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9100 EMAIL/SMS
AT&T : RIM/BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300 EMAIL/SMS
SPRINT : NONE
T-Mobile: RIM/BlackBerry Bold 9780 EMAIL/SMS
T-Mobile: RIM/BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300 EMAIL/SMS
Verizon : NONE
</pre>

Mohanp
06-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Is this MAP feature enabled on iOS5? Anyone know??

BimmerUKF10
06-13-2011, 12:20 AM
I agree this is annoying, but it is down to Apple's implementation of Bluetooth and not BMW. I also find it annoying that you can't show the tracknames when streaming audio via Bluetooth. This is Apple's fault also.

prettibwoy
06-13-2011, 04:54 AM
i agree this is annoying, but it is down to apple's implementation of bluetooth and not bmw. I also find it annoying that you can't show the tracknames when streaming audio via bluetooth. This is apple's fault also.

+1

caesarp
06-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Not pleased with the menu item "OFFICE" in my shiny new car. After seeing the video about being able to see calendar, todo lists, and have my emails read I thought this was great.

Now I find out the bad news. Advanced as some of the new smartphone are, the list of phones that can work with this technology is a very short list. The biggest bummer is that the iPhone isn't on the list.

<http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/BluetoothTechnology/bluetoothframedin.aspx>

<pre>
AT&T : RIM/BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9100 EMAIL/SMS
AT&T : RIM/BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300 EMAIL/SMS
SPRINT : NONE
T-Mobile: RIM/BlackBerry Bold 9780 EMAIL/SMS
T-Mobile: RIM/BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300 EMAIL/SMS
Verizon : NONE
</pre>

The BMW website information is inaccurate. I have a Blackberry Bold 9650 from Verizon and Office works fine. What is needed is a Blackberry with the Message Access Profile (which is a bluetooth implementation that allows this feature to work).

If you have a Blackberry with OS 6.0 or higher, you likely have Message Access Profile. One caveat, until Verizon released an update to the blackberry OS recently, Office did not work correctly for me (but it worked sort of). The recent OS resolved that problem.

In reality, the Office feature is not tied to any specific Blackberry hardware. It is the OS that is running on that hardware -- specifically, an OS that includes the Message Access Profile (MAP).

iPhones don't have MAP at all. Which is why they don't work.

ddimit
06-13-2011, 09:09 AM
I have gotten MAP Access requests from the car to My Android DX I don't get emal, but my text messages show up in the messages section