PDA

View Full Version : X5 battery problems

xmanjack
01-26-2004, 08:24 AM
After my 4.4 sat in the garage for 2 days,the battery was totally dead.I was told by the dealer that it was not driven enough.I drive about 10 miles a day(to and from work) and I use it on weekends.This is the second time this has happened.Is anyone out there also having these problems?I bought the BMW advanced battery charging system,and was told it would take care of the problem.Could there be more to it?Thanks for your feedback.

Emission
01-26-2004, 08:43 AM
What year is the X5, and how many miles?

xmanjack
01-26-2004, 08:57 AM
What year is the X5, and how many miles?
My x5 is an03 with 9000 miles

Emission
01-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Batteries have separate warranties that are usually pro-rated. I would complain to your dealer that either your battery, or your charging system is shot - a dead battery on an '03 isn't right.

Driving 20 miles/day should be enough to keep it charged. Maybe there is something draining the battery?

What is the BMW Advanced Battery Charging System anyway?

xmanjack
01-26-2004, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=Emission]Batteries have separate warranties that are usually pro-rated. I would complain to your dealer that either your battery, or your charging system is shot - a dead battery on an '03 isn't right.

Driving 20 miles/day should be enough to keep it charged. Maybe there is something draining the battery?

What is the BMW Advanced Battery Charging System anyway?[/QUOT

I bought it at the dealer,$73.00.It's a transformer that plugs in from an A/C outlet into the cigarette lighter.It keeps the battery charged automatically.It's used if the car sits for a long period of time,which my car did the first time the battery went.They replaced it in Oct.with a new one.They checked the battery today and the cells are all good.It was just drained.I guess I'll wait and see if this transformer can do the job.My co worker drives a '03 330 same distance as me and he's never had a problem.I still don't get it.Thanks for your feedback.

SupraRZ
01-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Wow, another battery problem?

I'm about to make an assumption that the batteries on MY03 BMW's are bad... I had the same problem this weekend as well, '03 X5 4.4 w/ 4500 miles bought back in August. Washed car on Saturday, came back to car on Sunday, it was dead... didn't leave anything on in the car either. Jumped it and that was that... It was a PITA to jump too, I had to have a car idle for a good 5 minutes before the battery was charged enough to crank the starter.

Funny because my gf's 2003 BMW also had a dead battery, she has the same # of miles, we bought our cars 3 weeks apart.

xmanjack
01-28-2004, 06:39 AM
Wow, another battery problem?

I'm about to make an assumption that the batteries on MY03 BMW's are bad... I had the same problem this weekend as well, '03 X5 4.4 w/ 4500 miles bought back in August. Washed car on Saturday, came back to car on Sunday, it was dead... didn't leave anything on in the car either. Jumped it and that was that... It was a PITA to jump too, I had to have a car idle for a good 5 minutes before the battery was charged enough to crank the starter.

Funny because my gf's 2003 BMW also had a dead battery, she has the same # of miles, we bought our cars 3 weeks apart.

I called BMW,U.S.A.,They told me the same thing,if the truck is not driven enough,it will put a drain on the battery.They also recommended the BMW battery recharger,which I bought.It fully recharges a dead battery in 48 hours.Mine was recharged in 24 hours.It was recommended by other people to put a charge on once a month.I was told idling the car for 5 minutes does nothing.It needs to be highway driven for at least 20 minutes,for the battery to be charging properly.I did have a LOWJACK installed when I purchased the vehicle.I wonder if that is putting an extra drain on the battery?Your right,it's a royal PITA.I also wonder why they don't let you in on this,before you make the purchase.At least I know it's not an isolated problem.Thanks for the comments.

SupraRZ
01-28-2004, 01:54 PM
I called BMW,U.S.A.,They told me the same thing,if the truck is not driven enough,it will put a drain on the battery.They also recommended the BMW battery recharger,which I bought.It fully recharges a dead battery in 48 hours.Mine was recharged in 24 hours.It was recommended by other people to put a charge on once a month.I was told idling the car for 5 minutes does nothing.It needs to be highway driven for at least 20 minutes,for the battery to be charging properly.I did have a LOWJACK installed when I purchased the vehicle.I wonder if that is putting an extra drain on the battery?Your right,it's a royal PITA.I also wonder why they don't let you in on this,before you make the purchase.At least I know it's not an isolated problem.Thanks for the comments.

XMAN, I meant Idling the other car to charge X5's battery w/ jumper cables connected. It sure did something because eventually there was enough juice to start the car :)

Your lojack shouldn't be a problem as alarms are designed to put a very minimal drain on the system. Supposedly most alarms use less power than the blinking LEDs, and you can blink a LED for months on regular AA batteries with no problem.

xmanjack
01-29-2004, 05:16 AM
XMAN, I meant Idling the other car to charge X5's battery w/ jumper cables connected. It sure did something because eventually there was enough juice to start the car :)

Your lojack shouldn't be a problem as alarms are designed to put a very minimal drain on the system. Supposedly most alarms use less power than the blinking LEDs, and you can blink a LED for months on regular AA batteries with no problem.

Thanks SupraRZ,Hope your problems are over.I would still keep an eye on it.I've had my X5 a little over a year and it died twice now.The first time it sat in my garage for six weeks.That killed my battery to the point it had to be replaced.Second time it only took 2 days,but took a full charge.Again,I drive my X5 very little.If you have the same driving habits,I recommend that battery charge kit that the dealer sells.It seems to be working for me.

SASTUD
02-23-2004, 06:55 AM
After my 4.4 sat in the garage for 2 days,the battery was totally dead.I was told by the dealer that it was not driven enough.I drive about 10 miles a day(to and from work) and I use it on weekends.This is the second time this has happened.Is anyone out there also having these problems?I bought the BMW advanced battery charging system,and was told it would take care of the problem.Could there be more to it?Thanks for your feedback.

is your 10 mile drive a highway drive or stop & go ? also, if you leave the key in the ignition you'll drain the battery as well. there also was a recall to reprogram the radio going back to 01 models. the recall may not apply to your car specifically but have the dealership contact technical dept to see if this programming may help.

Andrew Hunter
02-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Have to drive it every two days to charge the battery! What the *%@#!

What a lot of crap!

You should be able to leave it sit for two weeks and it should start first try.

DrewH :thumbdwn:

suzer
02-23-2004, 05:02 PM
I know from experience I can let my 2003 X5 3.0 sit for 7 days and it starts first try. My drive to work is extremely short, and is completely stop and go - no highway.

FWIW, my husband's 01 3 series can sit for 15 days and start 1st try, too

mojosaan
02-24-2004, 11:53 AM
I've never had any of there problems even with the car (2002 X5 3.0 and 2003 Z4 2.5) sitting for a long time. I've developed a habit of turning everything off, radio, A/C, head lights, before I turn the engine off. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but you know as well as I these cars have a habit of acting electronically weird sometimes. Just my 2 cents.

virtualrain
02-28-2004, 12:26 AM
I had the same problem and my battery was replaced under a factory TSB and the source of the current drain fixed. Do a search on the bimmer.org board for more details. I believe it has something to do with the radio.

Quicksilver
03-01-2005, 08:01 AM

"I was told by the dealer that it was not driven enough" Am I just dumb or is the logic of that statement about the dumbest. Does anyone think that all those cars that sit on a dealers lots have to be driven after sitting for 2 days? So that means that if you go on vacation someone has to housesit your X5 to make sure it starts when you get back?

If it's under warranty make them find the problem.It shoulden't be up to you to worry
about issues like this.

TommyX
03-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Batteries have separate warranties that are usually pro-rated. I would complain to your dealer that either your battery, or your charging system is shot - a dead battery on an '03 isn't right.

What is the BMW Advanced Battery Charging System anyway?

Xmanjack: Check to make sure your acid (water) level is correct in the battery. My 01 came with low levels from the dealer.

Emission: BMW Advanced Battery Charging System is a Battery Tender (http://batterytender.com/) with the roundel slapped on it.

Emission
03-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Emission: BMW Advanced Battery Charging System is a Battery Tender (http://batterytender.com/) with the roundel slapped on it.

Interesting.

I think I mentioned I have the BATTERY TENDER hooked up to my Porsche (only driven on weekends). It works flawlessly!

TommyX
03-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Interesting.

I think I mentioned I have the BATTERY TENDER hooked up to my Porsche (only driven on weekends). It works flawlessly!

Check the bottom of the page. Does it look familiar? (http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/parts.html) :rofl:

I have one also. I always give a new battery a complete cycle on the Battery Tender before installing it. It works well for me.

Quicksilver
03-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Check the bottom of the page. Does it look familiar? (http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/parts.html) :rofl:

I have one also. I always give a new battery a complete cycle on the Battery Tender before installing it. It works well for me.

BMW has road service for this kind of thing. Call them let them do their job and let BMW pay for it. An 03 should still have the maintaince warranty in effect. It's one of the benifits of owning the X5. anything breaks they fix it. That includes the battery. None of us have a clue what could be wrong with your car. That kind of thing requires the service dept and perhaps messing around with something your not familar with may do more damage than good.

X5-4-fighting
03-01-2005, 06:32 PM
This thread reminded me that the car battery on my X5 died on me on my recent snow trip in the mountains. I'm not sure whether the weather had everything to do with it, but the funny part----------- it took a Japaneze car (my friend's Honda Odyssey) to start up the German car... haha :rofl: (It's funny now, of course).