PDA

View Full Version : March 2011: can anyone confirm what the changes actually are?

Argelius
01-13-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm planning on ordering a 535xi and am now considering on holding off because I keep reading about changes coming for March 2011 production builds. The two most frequently bantered about (here and elsewhere) are the 6NP option (for BMW connected/iPhone app integration) and 6WA "extended black panel".

I've asked my salesguy about this and he can't seem to find any official document outlining what's coming post 3/11. He's still looking into whether the 6NP is upgradable via a firmware update for ComBox-equipped cars), and according tot him the 6WA display is now in all post-Sept build cars.

In any event, I am curious if anyone has something definitive about what, if anything, is coming 3/11. All I hear is speculation.....

jpointe
01-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Did your CA actually give you the option to make an order for a 535xi that will be produced before March? When I placed my order back in December, the earliest production I could get was March. The CA made it sound like it was a factory-imposed timeline that no dealer could get around. He tried configuring other cars in the queue that were scheduled to arrive earlier, but it wasn't possible for xDrives. Point being, your question might be moot if the earliest production you'll get is March anyway...

Argelius
01-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Did your CA actually give you the option to make an order for a 535xi that will be produced before March? When I placed my order back in December, the earliest production I could get was March. The CA made it sound like it was a factory-imposed timeline that no dealer could get around. He tried configuring other cars in the queue that were scheduled to arrive earlier, but it wasn't possible for xDrives. Point being, your question might be moot if the earliest production you'll get is March anyway...

Good point. We hadn't yet set down to place an order, so I don't know what the actual production date would be. However, based on what I've read (and the iTunes description of the BMW Connected app). "6NR" is an "option" that should be selectable. Currently, when you go through the process of designing the car, there is no 6NR option.

jpointe
01-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Ah, I see. So if we don't have the option now when placing an order, I wonder if we'll have to actively contact the CA a week or so before production to put that in place or if it'll be included by default (especially if the Premium 2 package is ordered).

dunderhi
01-13-2011, 04:35 PM

That's interesting. I never discussed production dates when I ordered it in late December, but since I am picking up my 550i xDrive on March 4th, I assumed it would have been produced with plenty of slack time. I think I'll send him an email.

Rafa
01-13-2011, 05:46 PM
In my experience, "standard" upgrades such as the combox automatically appear in the order sheet. The CA does not need to input the code for these upgrades.

jpointe
01-13-2011, 06:10 PM
That's interesting. I never discussed production dates when I ordered it in late December, but since I am picking up my 550i xDrive on March 4th, I assumed it would have been produced with plenty of slack time. I think I'll send him an email.

Cool, let me know what he says. My case could be specific to 535s or it could be specific to my dealership and what cars they're able to modify in the production queue. I was told it'd be manufactured during week one of March and then make it out west a few weeks after that. It probably doesn't account for all of the time difference, but that may partially explain how you're getting it a few weeks earlier as you're in MD.

dunderhi
01-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Cool, let me know what he says. My case could be specific to 535s or it could be specific to my dealership and what cars they're able to modify in the production queue. I was told it'd be manufactured during week one of March and then make it out west a few weeks after that. It probably doesn't account for all of the time difference, but that may partially explain how you're getting it a few weeks earlier as you're in MD.

I'm picking up my car in Munich. :bigpimp:

jpointe
01-13-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm picking up my car in Munich. :bigpimp:

Awesome! So that pretty much explains the time difference. We're probably in the same production week; you just get to enjoy it much earlier. Say hi to my new baby for me when you're there :D

dunderhi
01-14-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm still waiting on a reply from my CA, but over at f10.5post.com, a guy in England changed his order from Week 7 to Week 9 production to get the 6NR option. His dealer charged him for the option, so I would think Week 9 is confirmed for the feature change-over.