PDA

View Full Version : What is happening when you push this button?

Sophisto
01-13-2011, 12:31 PM
This afternoon I discovered yet another little item on the media control bar, just left of the volume control. It is a push switch marked with an aerial and some cars or something. I pushed it a couple of times but couldn’t see the effect of my actions. Is something broke in my car or is it some sort of signal transmission system? If so, has anyone figured out what kind of transmission, and to whom, is send when you push this button?

oil_filter
01-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Isn't that the switch for enabling radio programs to be interrupted by traffic news (i.e. TP)?

johnbmw6
01-13-2011, 01:16 PM
:dunno: So whats highlighted on the picture?........................ Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

AzNMpower32
01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Isn't that the switch for enabling radio programs to be interrupted by traffic news (i.e. TP)?
Correct, it enables TP. That means when a traffic report comes up, the audio will automatically switch to that radio station for the traffic report.

highyo
01-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Correct, it enables TP. That means when a traffic report comes up, the audio will automatically switch to that radio station for the traffic report.

wait, what?

kocsis
01-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't have that. The two buttons to the left of the volume control are "mode" and "am/fm."

AzNMpower32
01-13-2011, 03:43 PM
wait, what?
TP (or in German, Verkehrsfunk) stands for Traffic Programme, where the audio system automatically switches to a traffic report that occurs on any radio station. Moderately useful sometimes.

This feature is not available in North America. Hence, the buttons are different for vehicles sold in North America. But then again, many states just allow you to call the 511 number to get traffic info so that's an acceptable substitute.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
This afternoon I discovered yet another little item on the media control bar, just left of the volume control. It is a push switch marked with an aerial and some cars or something. I pushed it a couple of times but couldn’t see the effect of my actions. Is something broke in my car or is it some sort of signal transmission system? If so, has anyone figured out what kind of transmission, and to whom, is send when you push this button?

The picture that you are posting looks like a picture found on BMW.com and not BMWUSA.com. The significance is that the buttons on the European BMW are different than that in the USA. In the USA, we do have 2 buttons to the left of the volume control, but the bottom button is different. The top button says "mode" and the bottom button says "am-fm." In Europe, the top button also says "mode," however the bottom button has the symbols that you describe. I am attaching a picture of the interior of my vehicle which shows this difference.

Sophisto
01-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Indeed, in the radio window TP switches on/of with this pushbutton.
But that is all; the functionality in Holland ........ is zero.
Maybe in France the autoroute info on 107.7 FM will give TP response while listening to some music from the own collection.
That would be another improvement comparing the F11 with the E61 I drove before!

Thank you for your help. :thumbup:

Needsdecaf
01-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Indeed, in the radio window TP switches on/of with this pushbutton.
But that is all; the functionality in Holland ........ is zero.
Maybe in France the autoroute info on 107.7 FM will give TP response while listening to some music from the own collection.
That would be another improvement comparing the F11 with the E61 I drove before!

Thank you for your help. :thumbup:

My Volvo has a TP button. It does NOTHING here. Even in the NYC and DC metro areas, this function really doesn't exist in the US. Interesting, though, that BMW gets it's nav traffic info this way rather than having to pay for a Sirius / XM subscription. Kind of nice not to have to spend the extra couple bucks a month.

In germany, this feature is great as my wife and I found out while touring the countryside in our rented Golf.