PDA

View Full Version : How does the N55 loosen up?

Needsdecaf
01-13-2011, 12:32 PM
I've driven probably half a dozen 535's at this point and all of them have been under 200 miles, usually under 20. The car seems pretty powerful, but the engine still feels a bit tight every time I've driven it.

For you owners that have a couple k on the odo, how much would you say that the engine has loosened up?

ssj
01-13-2011, 12:41 PM
I've driven probably half a dozen 535's at this point and all of them have been under 200 miles, usually under 20. The car seems pretty powerful, but the engine still feels a bit tight every time I've driven it.

For you owners that have a couple k on the odo, how much would you say that the engine has loosened up?

1700 miles - still very "tight"

tdepetra
01-13-2011, 02:02 PM

After 7,500 miles, there's very little change in how freely the engine revs (if that's what you mean by loosening up). I thought it was great when brand new, as I do today.

I'd like to think that's part of BMW's engine design philosophy, that their engines don't get sloppy with mileage. However, this is my first BMW, so I have limited perspective with these cars.

markl53
01-13-2011, 02:27 PM
After 7,500 miles, there's very little change in how freely the engine revs (if that's what you mean by loosening up). I thought it was great when brand new, as I do today.

+1. I now have about 3800 miles and my 535i is raring to go, and with the instantaneous downshifts (in auto mode) it's still seamless power delivery. Needsdecaf, perhaps on the low mileage demos you were feeling some of the transmission stumbling mentioned in other threads. This really does go away. I've even gotten used to the lower rpms in regular D mode but still use DS frequently.

FPNY
01-13-2011, 03:53 PM
+1. I now have about 3800 miles and my 535i is raring to go, and with the instantaneous downshifts (in auto mode) it's still seamless power delivery. Needsdecaf, perhaps on the low mileage demos you were feeling some of the transmission stumbling mentioned in other threads. This really does go away. I've even gotten used to the lower rpms in regular D mode but still use DS frequently.

i agree, i have about 3300 miles and it seems that once the car figures out your driving habits it settles into itself. it doesn't loosen up, it gets better and better every day.....

Stealth.Pilot
01-13-2011, 07:11 PM
What do you mean by tight?

Needsdecaf
01-14-2011, 04:34 AM
What do you mean by tight?

Not as free to rev as one might think. A little reluctant to pull through the powerband.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It indeed could be that the adaptive transmissions have not been, well, adapted when I drove them (car I just drove was straight out of PDI, still had all the plastic on it with 7 miles on it) and this could be contributing to a bit of less than smooth behavior.

I would just expect an inline 6 with a 7,000 RPM redline to zing up to the higher portion of the rev band. I ask as much about the engine's characteristics as my inability to discern how the car drives from a 5 mile test drive in the DC Metro area.

SteVTEC
01-14-2011, 08:05 AM
I would just expect an inline 6 with a 7,000 RPM redline to zing up to the higher portion of the rev band. I ask as much about the engine's characteristics as my inability to discern how the car drives from a 5 mile test drive in the DC Metro area.
You can get it to zing up to the 7k redline, but with the 535 you sure as heck better have a lot of clear space in front of you, and no traffic or cops or speed cameras waiting. It's tough to enjoy more powerful engines like these in dense urban areas.

Needsdecaf
01-14-2011, 10:00 AM
You can get it to zing up to the 7k redline, but with the 535 you sure as heck better have a lot of clear space in front of you, and no traffic or cops or speed cameras waiting. It's tough to enjoy more powerful engines like these in dense urban areas.

Damn straight. The 528 was tailor made for places like the DC metro area.

Oh, and I know about zinging a 300 HP car to the redline. Try it in a car with a 5 speed automatic and gearing that can top 170 and see how many gears you remain legal in. Not more than one... LOL.

johnbmw6
01-14-2011, 10:14 AM
I had a girl friend that was tight, she never loosened up hardly at all :p same as BMW engines, what you get at the start is what:rolleyes: you get.

Needsdecaf
01-14-2011, 12:44 PM
I had a girl friend that was tight, she never loosened up hardly at all :p same as BMW engines, what you get at the start is what:rolleyes: you get.

My dad's E39 525 loosened up considerably.

Congrats on the girlfriend....sounds like you should have kept her.

johnbmw6
01-14-2011, 02:42 PM
My dad's E39 525 loosened up considerably.

Congrats on the girlfriend....sounds like you should have kept her.:rofl: yea your right.:thumbup: