PDA

View Full Version : SP with or without DH/ARS

BricksBMW
01-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Has anyone driven a car with the sport package without the dynamic handling and ARS? If so what are your impressions? Just wondering if avoiding these features will change the driving and ownership experience.

Thanks,
Brick

TJPark01
01-13-2011, 03:19 PM
The 535i sport without the dynamic handling package differs in 2 key ways.
1. When you are driving in canyons at speed, the car, is big and heavy so it will lean.
2. In comfort mode the car is very serene and soft.

If I was budget conscious or not inclined to drive like a maniac(at times), I would skip the dynamic handling package. The stock set up is still very good, and rides really nice on the highway. There's also the added bonus of maintenance cost. If something chassis wise needs to be repaired, I'm thinking a car w/o DHP is gonna be much easier (cheaper) to fix.

laser
01-13-2011, 05:37 PM
I have this set up (SP, no DHS, ARS) and am very happy with the handling.

We don't have canyons but freeway flyovers (Spaghetti Junction) where most cars are stressed to make this 90 degree sweeping curve at 70 mph or so.

My 300ZX would approach 80 feeling like on rails. The current F10 is similar and grips the road without excessive roll and have yet to find the break loose point. (big penalty, 100 ft drop for sliding off the road here :))

Hard city / suburban cornering capabilities are excellent.

Have a route in the North GA mountains approaching Brasstown Bald from the South where I ran the S2000 to the limit a couple of months ago. I'll take the F10 up there one day and compare.

Really the 535i SP car is so fast and runs up on traffic so quickly there are rare situations in real life where either more hp or better handling would be useful. I don't track the car but do drive in a spirited manner and have never had a car this enjoyable to drive!

Rafa
01-13-2011, 07:14 PM
I have this set up (SP, no DHS, ARS) and am very happy with the handling.

Really the 535i SP car is so fast and runs up on traffic so quickly there are rare situations in real life where either more hp or better handling would be useful. I don't track the car but do drive in a spirited manner and have never had a car this enjoyable to drive!

I agree with your assessment 100%, laser. We are so fortunate to own cars that more than hold their own in real life driving, no matter how spirited our driving may be. And the F10s do well on a track too, I am sure.

Needsdecaf
01-14-2011, 05:09 AM
The 535i sport without the dynamic handling package differs in 2 key ways.
1. When you are driving in canyons at speed, the car, is big and heavy so it will lean.
2. In comfort mode the car is very serene and soft.

If I was budget conscious or not inclined to drive like a maniac(at times), I would skip the dynamic handling package. The stock set up is still very good, and rides really nice on the highway. There's also the added bonus of maintenance cost. If something chassis wise needs to be repaired, I'm thinking a car w/o DHP is gonna be much easier (cheaper) to fix.

My thoughts exactly.

Drove a DHP-equipped car for the first time yesterday. I liked it a lot, way more than I thought I would have. My current car has active suspension and it's light years behind.

having said that, the stock setup is pretty good if you dont' expect the car to behave like an M3. And the cost of maintenance is NOT something trivial. Active shock / strut on my Volvo is $1,300 installed.