PDA

View Full Version : My ED experience and info for those coming

Jkuhn
01-14-2011, 03:30 AM
20 mins ago I dropped of my 550i M-Sport with Log In And Out at the Munich airport. Nice, helpful guys, and I write this on the U-bahn back into town. This was my 3rd ED and, as usual, BMW was flawless in execution. My car should be in Bremerhaven on Tuesday (it's now Friday) as the have 6 of the 8 cars the need for a truckload.

Winter tire facts: yes they are severely backordered, so forget about renting them for a while. In anticipation of normal January weather, and thus not having a car to drive, my dealer arranged for a free loaner for me. I'm sure BMW won't do this for everyone, but this is my 7th BMW so I guess they figured I was worth it. In the event I didn't need it as Munich is experiencing a heat wave at the moment: high 40s, light rain or partly cloudy. German law requires winter or all-seaon tires in "wintery" weather; e.g., snow or ice, so BMW said I was legal to drive my car, which was great. Otherwise you must leave the car at Welt and pay a 60 cash fee to transport it to Log In Out at MUC.

Drop-off: my special trip today to MUC to drop off the car was unnecessary. We're retiring on Sunday, and for a small extra fee they would have met me on Sunday to do it. I wish I had known, because I wasted a half day needlessly. Harms is no longer the agent here. Do contact them with and special requests and they will do their best to accommodate. See http://www.loginout.de/de/dropoff/bmw_european.php

They have no sign pointing to the office (application for same is pending with the airport authorities), so your best bet is to pull up to the Kempinski at MUC and call them from there. They will meet you at the curb another 200' further.

Parking in town: my hotel has a car elevator, in which my car fit with 2" to spare in each direction. It was also a snug fit in the stacked parking rack. No scratches, but if your hotel offers parking, get details.

In all, lots of fun. The only way to buy a BMW!

I will upload pix when I can.

Jkuhn
01-14-2011, 03:35 AM
Oops, I meant "returning" not "retiring".

Rafa
01-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Great up-to-date report! Thank you for taking the time to post. Enjoy your weekend in Munich and have a safe trip back home.

Now your wait begins... May I suggest spending some of the time you'll be waiting for your car writing additional reports for us? Your fellow bimmerfesters are greedy that way.

Congrats!

ksoze
01-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Parking in town: my hotel has a car elevator, in which my car fit with 2" to spare in each direction. It was also a snug fit in the stacked parking rack. No scratches, but if your hotel offers parking, get details.

Sounds like a way to easily justify the top view camera option. ;)

Jkuhn
01-14-2011, 08:10 AM
And I have the cameras. But they shut off when the mirrors are folded in, as I had to put them in order to get the car in.

;)

ksoze
01-14-2011, 08:56 AM
And I have the cameras. But they shut off when the mirrors are folded in, as I had to put them in order to get the car in.

;)

Sounds a little counter intuitive. The time one needs that multiple camera view most would be in a tight spot where mirrors are of less precise value.

raleedy
01-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Sounds a little counter intuitive. The time one needs that multiple camera view most would be in a tight spot where mirrors are of less precise value.

Catch 22. The cameras are, I think, mounted on the mirrors so they can work only when the mirrors are deployed.

SANguru
01-14-2011, 10:31 AM
congrats! have a great trip back. I rarely see any 550i in the bay area so far.

Jkuhn
01-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Ksoze, it may be counterintuitive, but I can't imagine many here would try to squeeze their car into an opening 4" wider than the car withe the mirrors retracted. It was the only way to do it (with my wife guiding me). So I still think the cameras are worth it.

Needsdecaf
01-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Ksoze, it may be counterintuitive, but I can't imagine many here would try to squeeze their car into an opening 4" wider than the car withe the mirrors retracted. It was the only way to do it (with my wife guiding me). So I still think the cameras are worth it.

Trying to pull into a space with that much room to spare, I sure as hell wouldn't want to rely on any cameras.