PDA

View Full Version : Do you delay/procrastinate putting on your new license plate?

CarBrain
01-14-2011, 09:53 PM
I received my new license plate about 2 weeks ago but I have not put it on my new F10 550i yet. Somehow it feels more like a "brand new" car when I still have the dealer's plate on. My wife, on the other hand, wants to have the new license put on because she fears that without it, it looks too new and would attract attention and increase the chance of it being vandalized.

Anyway, I have to put the license plate on this weekend to satisfy my wife :(

Do you delay/procrastinate putting on your new license plate?

fkim011
01-14-2011, 10:08 PM
For reasons your wife has stated, I can't wait to get my plates.

K-A
01-15-2011, 05:03 AM
I've had mine on for 7 months. :D I'd keep it on forever, but just worried about not knowing what to tell the Cops if they pull me over, as an excuse (thus getting me further on his/her bad side from sounding like a bumbling, lying idiot). Also, I have tinted windows, and smoked rear lights, so I shouldn't be asking for the trouble.

Never thought about the vandalization thing though. I guess there's a point there, but I wouldn't really find that all so realistic. If you have a shiny/clean and/or slightly modded/nicely equipped car, you're probably "asking" for that type of "attention" from those jealous idiots more-so.

markl53
01-15-2011, 06:35 AM
No. I would get the paper plate off as soon as possible. Actually though, I have a vanity plate so it always moves to the next car.

fkim011
01-15-2011, 07:05 AM
Call me paranoid but the economy for most is still suffering, We have the privilege, and the means to be able to afford something nice and that will always come with haters. I understand that we need to live our own life the way we want to but one cannot be totally oblivious to our surroundings and current situations.

I think it is extremely valuable to always eliminate all sources of problems. Might call me paranoid, might call me dumb but it surely doesn't hurt me.

1HOT BMR
01-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Somehow the car did not feel like my car until I installed my personalized plates on it, so no, I did not wait to install them. Dealer plates may cause unwanted reactions by some so it's better to get rid of them and make it look like a used car as soon as possible.

Slaymaster
01-15-2011, 08:17 AM
I had my plates from my old beemer nailed on at the dealership and ripped the temp off the window and layed it on the rear deck. I hate those damn things.

kenhamm
01-15-2011, 09:55 AM
I delay, partially cause I am lazy and partially cause it feels like a new car until the plates are on. Dont worry about vandalizism as I dont really leave the car in places where that might occur, plus I garage the car when I am home.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Although I have a lease and currently do not use vanity plates, I could not wait to remove the temporary paper plate from the rear window because I do not like the way it looks. As soon as the permanent plates came in, which will stay with the vehicle when I turn it in, I immediately purchased upgraded brackets, which will also stay with the vehicle when I turn it in, from BMW retail parts and installed them and the plates while I was still in my dealer's parking lot.

SIDE NOTE: Unfortunately, I can not use vanity plates on the vehicle that I use in my business. When I used to drive a 1990 MB 190E 2.6, I had vanity plates, which I had to stop using because too many people recognized my vehicle and the vanity plates. Sometimes I am still recognized by the vehicle itself, but without the vanity plates, an element of doubt remains. Perhaps, if I ever purchase/lease a second vehicle strictly for personal use, I will reactivate the vanity plates.

markl53
01-15-2011, 11:34 AM
SIDE NOTE: Unfortunately, I can not use vanity plates on the vehicle that I use in my business. When I used to drive a 1990 MB 190E 2.6, I had vanity plates, which I had to stop using because too many people recognized my vehicle and the vanity plates.

I've had vanity plates for years, but you're right and I've thought about this. I generally am a courteous driver, but sometimes.... well, you know. It's probably much easier to remember a vanity plate than a normal one if someone is looking for you or reports you(?)...

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-15-2011, 12:04 PM
I've had vanity plates for years, but you're right and I've thought about this. I generally am a courteous driver, but sometimes.... well, you know. It's probably much easier to remember a vanity plate than a normal one if someone is looking for you or reports you(?)...

My comment about not being able to use vanity plates actually had to do with my business and not my driving experiences. I am an attorney and I became very uncomfortable many years ago when I started receiving telephone calls from clients who would tell me that I had been spotted. My clients do recognize me by my vehicle, but the vanity plates provide confirmation that the vehicle is indeed mine.

tdepetra
01-15-2011, 12:09 PM
No plates draw too much attention to cars as new, IMO, and with unemployment and economic grief around us, I'd rather be inconspicuous. Also, in Minnesota, vanity plates (and boat registrations) are related to a higher probability of tax audits!

2008550I
01-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Bought my car in June. Just got my old personalized plates registered thru DMV 1st week of Jan. Six months riding with dealer plates and two speeding tickets later! Thru the dealership screwing up and DMV sending me new plates that got 'lost' in the mail I've been riding with the same dealer plates and faded registration(in Cali the registration is stuck to the windshield). I missed my personalized plates....:rolleyes: