PDA

View Full Version : Transmission downshifting problem?

ProudPapa
01-15-2011, 08:58 AM
We have just picked up our 2011 528i (week 48) and have been driving it for 4 days. I have noticed that while smoothly braking coming to a stop the car seems to lunge forward as it downshifts. I have never noticed this in a car before but this is my first BMW. Is this normal for BMW cars?

I have also noticed that the throttle is stiff and if you push on it softly the car doesn't seem to go and then all of a sudden it takes off. My wife has also noticed this and it doesn't seem the throttle is very smooth. Maybe this just takes getting use to? Just wanted to know if anyone else had the issues with their F10.

Thanks!

Slaymaster
01-15-2011, 09:24 AM
We have just picked up our 2011 528i (week 48) and have been driving it for 4 days. I have noticed that while smoothly braking coming to a stop the car seems to lunge forward as it downshifts. I have never noticed this in a car before but this is my first BMW. Is this normal for BMW cars?

I have also noticed that the throttle is stiff and if you push on it softly the car doesn't seem to go and then all of a sudden it takes off. My wife has also noticed this and it doesn't seem the throttle is very smooth. Maybe this just takes getting use to? Just wanted to know if anyone else had the issues with their F10.

Thanks!

The throttle reponse is normal and once the car learns your driving style, it should be gone. I also noticed the downshifting while coming to a stop, but never paid no mind to it being it's not extreme. I wouldn't worry about it.

markl53
01-15-2011, 09:36 AM
The throttle reponse is normal and once the car learns your driving style, it should be gone. I also noticed the downshifting while coming to a stop, but never paid no mind to it being it's not extreme. I wouldn't worry about it.

+1. My car seemed to be slow to respond off the line during the first week or so. Either I got more used to the tip in response or it did learn my style. In any event, the issue is noticeably gone now. Also with many cars you can notice the coasting downshifts as you slow to a stop. This doesn't seem as noticeable on my 535i as on my wife's Acura TL but I do feel it.

blackhawk_pilot
01-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Oh please, enough with the "car learns your driving style" BS already!!!
Theres no feature in this car that enables it to learn or adapt to a specific driver. After the break in this issues either get smooth out, or you just accept them and learn to live with them as second nature.

vortexx
01-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Oh please, enough with the "car learns your driving style" BS already!!!
Theres no feature in this car that enables it to learn or adapt to a specific driver. After the break in this issues either get smooth out, or you just accept them and learn to live with them as second nature.

Blackhawk, your statement is incorrect. I am trying to be diplomatic, but I am not sure there are too many ways around it. Most modern BMWs equipped with ZF A.T. have a feature called "Driver Adaptive electronic controlled transmission", a technology developed by ZF and used by a number of auto manufacturers. It is initially programmed for good fuel economy. It adapts to your driving style over time. Since many new BMW owners follow a conservative break-in schedule the transmission becomes even more sluggish. It can be reset to factory settings pretty easily if you are experiencing difficulties. After resetting the transmission, some spirited driving brings it to life. If you are a doubter, just try it. There has been a lot of published info on this subject.

Slaymaster
01-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Blackhawk, your statement is incorrect. I am trying to be diplomatic, but I am not sure there are too many ways around it. Most modern BMWs equipped with ZF A.T. have a feature called "Driver Adaptive electronic controlled transmission", a technology developed by ZF and used by a number of auto manufacturers. It is initially programmed for good fuel economy. It adapts to your driving style over time. Since many new BMW owners follow a conservative break-in schedule the transmission becomes even more sluggish. It can be reset to factory settings pretty easily if you are experiencing difficulties. After resetting the transmission, some spirited driving brings it to life. If you are a doubter, just try it. There has been a lot of published info on this subject.

Thank you for being diplomatic! After all, he flys a Blackhawk with some mean guns aboard I'm sure..... :rofl:

blackhawk_pilot
01-15-2011, 03:25 PM
So, a demo at the dealer is "learning" everyones styles, or my 535i is learning mine or my wives style? Again I call BS on this as an umbrella explanation for most issues during break in, seems to be used a lot that way. But hey to each their own, I may just be a little disgruntled about my drifting issues.

Slaymaster
01-15-2011, 03:41 PM
So, a demo at the dealer is "learning" everyones styles, or my 535i is learning mine or my wives style? Again I call BS on this as an umbrella explanation for most issues during break in, seems to be used a lot that way. But hey to each their own, I may just be a little disgruntled about my drifting issues.

You must be an officer being you're no gentleman! Calling someone out like THAT is uncalled for here. Vortexx is correct. Who the hell knows how dealerships set the car for test drives being many of the sales people lack product knowledge of what they sell. I spent time at the dealership while buying and showed the sales person how the car worked. If you are having drifting problem worse then in your Blackhawk, search for threads on the subject or start one or take your car back to the dealership with your problem. Dismissed!

vortexx
01-15-2011, 04:25 PM

If both you and your wife drive the car equally, it is learning an average of both of your styles. The algorithm appears to be weighted to the most recent drives however. Unfortunately, the A.T. adaptation is not tied to the "driver" profile saved on each key. That would be slick if it did. Again, my recommendation is to do some research. I recall reading a white paper on the topic that I believe was published by ZF.

banglenot
01-15-2011, 06:46 PM
ProudPapa, when it's broken in, find and follow the transmission reset procedure elsewhere on this site. You'll notice a difference if you drive more aggressively after the reset.

Note that the downshift adapts too. On both my cars, I reset it every few weeks or months, and the downshift parameters change as well as the upshift points.

Good luck.

highyo
01-15-2011, 06:57 PM
ProudPapa, when it's broken in, find and follow the transmission reset procedure elsewhere on this site. You'll notice a difference if you drive more aggressively after the reset.

Note that the downshift adapts too. On both my cars, I reset it every few weeks or months, and the downshift parameters change as well as the upshift points.

Good luck.

Ooh this is a good post. In other news i have just gotten out of the break in period(as best as i can guess, 1800 miles or so ). I can feel the difference. Its a leaning process.

Perhaps your vision of machine sophistication is skewed by your profession? My brother flies in an Ea6b prowler (nfo, not the pilot but still) and it is an OLD platform. How old is the blackhawk platform?

tdepetra
01-15-2011, 07:39 PM

My F10 is like velvet today with almost 8,000 miles on the OD and I had some of the same jerkiness for the first 300-500 miles. The fact that it continues to get smoother with more miles has nothing to do with my skill level or learning the, car and everything to do with the car's design and capability. In fact, my wife who rarely drives the car said recently, "it's even better than the last time I drove it." She also has said that "Nothing seems to ruffle the car's behavior."

highyo
01-16-2011, 09:02 AM
My F10 is like velvet today with almost 8,000 miles on the OD and I had some of the same jerkiness for the first 300-500 miles. The fact that it continues to get smoother with more miles has nothing to do with my skill level or learning the, car and everything to do with the car's design and capability. In fact, my wife who rarely drives the car said recently, "it's even better than the last time I drove it." She also has said that "Nothing seems to ruffle the car's behavior."

That it is a very apt quote. 1800 miles in and i just started giving her the mustard. In the catskills with great windy roads (though a little threadbare given the weather) and this car does not bounce around like my e60. She has real purpose. Shifts are so quick and so right, especially if u figure out what setting you like. For me, sport+ with stick all the way over, and paddles to gear up when cruising is required.

Magic