PDA

View Full Version : Isn't the navigation system hard to use to check for POI ?

CarBrain
01-15-2011, 09:19 AM
The other day I was trying to find the nearest Shell gas station using the navigation system and I just could not find it. It has options of A-Z findings, google, and another option that I forgot at this option and from dialing several options, I just could not get it to the gas station category.

Of course I could not get the Google function to work. I think that you have to have internet connection via your cell phone.

I end up using the GPS from my cell phone. :(

AzNMpower32
01-15-2011, 09:54 AM
I *think* it's under Travel or Automobile (I don't have sat nav)- it's definitely there though.

pharding
01-15-2011, 10:43 AM
It is possibly under travel or car. It is there someplace.

Chpqdk
01-15-2011, 10:49 AM
It's in BMW Search......but I can tell you it doesn't always list the nearest Shell station. Yesterday I sat in front of a Shell station while it was telling me the nearest one was 7 miles away. To get to the one it was showing I would need to pass at least two others.

B-1 Pilot
01-15-2011, 11:34 AM
It's in BMW Search......but I can tell you it doesn't always list the nearest Shell station. Yesterday I sat in front of a Shell station while it was telling me the nearest one was 7 miles away. To get to the one it was showing I would need to pass at least two others.

also realize the database is not dynamic.... in a 2008 car you get 2008 results, unless you pay to update (and Im not familiar with that process). This is why the promise of future google searches will be better.

That being said, POI navigating even with the new iDrive is a pain in the ass... the one trick I would share if you didnt know it already is the "search along current route feature" which will find gas stations, etc along whatever route you are currently navigating.... this means the gas station on the highway 15 miles down the road, vs the one thats 5 miles away but in the center of some nearby po-dunk town.:thumbup:

fkim011
01-15-2011, 01:42 PM
How do you search a place using just their phone number?

tim-atl
01-16-2011, 04:59 AM
Unless the F10 is different than my E70 you can have google searches now, but you have to pay for it. I think it's just shy of $200 and it uses the in car connection.

Jack the cat
01-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Having my F10 since August, IMO the navigation is by far the BMW weakest link. A few things are inherent which I believe comes from development in Germany. (Lived and worked in Germany for 4 years).
1. The roads in each update are very obsolete. We have much new construction and business changes ongoing in the US where this is not an issue in Germany since the roads and businesses rarely change.
2. Most of the streets and roads include only the route number, not the name which we most often use in the US. In Germany, most of the roads have only numbers and the numbers are primarily used. Even the Autobahns are numbered, for example the A8 from Munich to Salzburg.
3. The interface is quite complex requiring lots of dialing and clicking in the I-Drive. This is just German thinking.

As to the Points Of Interest interface, I have found the best bet is simply to go into the POI interface and select name search, select all points of interest, the enter the name, such as a restaurant name. The business with that name will appear on the right side of the split screen, from closest to farthest. Obviously works only for businesses in the latest update and if you know the business name.

BimmerUKF10
01-16-2011, 03:49 PM
The maps /POI in the US might well be different, but I've found the NAV to be the best I've used in the UK. The inbuilt POI is OK, but the google search through the connected drive subscription is excellent. Do you not get connected drive in the US? The first 3 years subscription are included in the UK. Think it's 70 per year thereafter.

Mr. Magic
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Having my F10 since August, IMO the navigation is by far the BMW weakest link. A few things are inherent which I believe comes from development in Germany. (Lived and worked in Germany for 4 years).
1. The roads in each update are very obsolete. We have much new construction and business changes ongoing in the US where this is not an issue in Germany since the roads and businesses rarely change.
2. Most of the streets and roads include only the route number, not the name which we most often use in the US. In Germany, most of the roads have only numbers and the numbers are primarily used. Even the Autobahns are numbered, for example the A8 from Munich to Salzburg.
3. The interface is quite complex requiring lots of dialing and clicking in the I-Drive. This is just German thinking.

4. Wife discovered it does not have "Victoria's Secrets" in the database, no matter how we tried to spell it. German thinking?

Rafa
01-17-2011, 11:33 AM
4. Wife discovered it does not have "Victoria's Secrets" in the database, no matter how we tried to spell it. German thinking?

That is a major oversight! LOL

Titanflux
01-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately like any sat nav maps, be they BMW (I think still Navteq), TomTom (definitely Navteq), Garmin, etc. they are already out of date by the time they are deployed because from the start of the lengthy mapping process to production/device integration is often many months at least.

I believe that Professional hard drive nav can now be updated over the air following a dealer authorisation (of course for a fee) but I don't know how often the maps are updated now. With Navteq's TomTom maps it's quarterly.

B-1 Pilot
01-18-2011, 02:54 PM
And yet this can and should be easily resolved... make an app for your mobile device of choice. launch it and have it download relevant nav/POI updates via its connection wireless/cell/etc. Then connect to car via smartphone integration and combox or usb or whatever, and update the database.

Or we could have the car be wifi enabled (or make a wifi to bluetooth adapter for a our garages) so the car could get updates on its own. Its not a matter of if this sort of thing will happen, but when.

FastMarkA
01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
I think until we see a car manufacturer partner with Apple and integrate iPhone/iPad/Google Maps technology into a car's nav system, we will continue to be disappointed with OEM nav.

Heck, I'd take Nuvi/Tom Tom technology over the latest offerings from any manufacturer.

I can find things ten times faster on my iPhone than dialing them in to the iDrive.

What I do like about having Nav in my car is the ability to create detours. You can see where you are, look at the screen, and figure out a "Plan B." :)