PDA

View Full Version : License plate frame preference

Slaymaster
01-15-2011, 11:49 AM
What types of license plate frames do you have on your Beemers? I'm looking for frames to replace the dealership advertisements and would like a frame which exposes as much of the plate as possible and is flat and designed tastefully. My car color is titanium so I guess chrome, stainless/brushed, or black would like fine with the shadowline trim which comes with the sport package.

I also heard of a company that has plate frames to match the colors of BMWs.

What have you purchased?

Slay

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Take a look at the frames that BMW offers. I selected the frames from BMW that are made of metal, they are black, and they say "BMW" on the bottom of the frame. The background of the frame where it states "BMW" is not black, but rather is reflective in nature. I think that these frames look great and I installed them in my dealer's parking lot immediately upon receipt of my vehicle's permanent plates. You might not like these frames because the bottom of your plate will be covered by the frame where it says "BMW." BMW also offers another frame, which is also made of metal and which is also black, but it does not say "BMW." This frame simply goes around the plate, but does not cover the plate. I believe that the two types of frames that I have just described also come in a chrome color.

markl53
01-15-2011, 12:29 PM
On your Titanium 5, I'm not sure I'd like a black frame. I would tend to like something that blends in better, chrome, etc. Around here most people leave their "VOB" dealer rear frame on (chrome), as do I. It's actually kind of nice, not cheap looking, with the "VOB" across the bottom. It has chrome "buttons" to cover the screws. I don't use a frame in the front, maybe I should think about a thin style chrome.

Z3_F10TxFan
01-15-2011, 01:08 PM
You may want to consider the chrome license plate frame available from your local BMW Parts. It looks great as you can see from the one installed on my de-badged Cashmere Silver 2011 535i. Matches well with the exhaust tips. Very clean look, especially with no lettering on the frame. I haven them installed for both front and rear license plates.

2008550I
01-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Take a look at the frames that BMW offers. I selected the frames from BMW that are made of metal, they are black, and they say "BMW" on the bottom of the frame. The background of the frame where it states "BMW" is not black, but rather is reflective in nature. I think that these frames look great and I installed them in my dealer's parking lot immediately upon receipt of my vehicle's permanent plates. You might not like these frames because the bottom of your plate will be covered by the frame where it says "BMW." BMW also offers another frame, which is also made of metal and which is also black, but it does not say "BMW." This frame simply goes around the plate, but does not cover the plate. I believe that the two types of frames that I have just described also come in a chrome color.

+1:thumbup:

Slaymaster
01-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! I think I'm leaning towards the black slimline frame over the chrome/stainless because the New Jersey license plates are yellow/beige color with black numbers and letters. I attached a picture for you all to see. Although silver may be the better choice, I think keeping in consideration the colors of your hometown state license plate comes into play too.

What do you guys think?

kocsis
01-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I have the black slimline frame; comes in silver also. Discreet, but elegant. see below.
Oops; ignore first photo....too small.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Here is a picture of the same style of frame that I use on my F10. The picture is actually of our Three Series, but it has the same style of frame that I am using on the F10.

K-A
01-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Stylistically you can't beat the clean and class look of a chrome frame with no holes at the bottom, and no lettering at all, IMO. If you have a debadged deck, leaving only the BMW (or whatever cars iconic logo) badge, it looks really cool.

jpointe
01-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Out of curiosity, why have a frame at all? Too "naked" a look?

pharding
01-16-2011, 04:04 AM
I like the BMW Polished Stainless Steel Slimline Frame if you have the chrome vehicle model numbers on your trunk.

blackhawk_pilot
01-16-2011, 04:39 AM
I have the black slimline frame; comes in silver also. Discreet, but elegant. see below.
Oops; ignore first photo....too small.
Either it's the pic angle or your front bumper is not evenly flushed?

kocsis
01-16-2011, 07:45 AM
It's not perfect - they installed it slightly uneven. It also is the victim of a slight ding....Benefit of a front plate.

Slaymaster
01-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Out of curiosity, why have a frame at all? Too "naked" a look?

The edges of the plates look a little rough here in Jersey so it needs something. Plus, the frames do give it a finished look. IMO, if you like the look of having no frame, a thin frame would be the ticket. :thumbup:

I noticed there is a chrome & brushed slim frame. Does anyone have the brushed?

On the BMW site, they offer screw caps to match the chrome but not the brushed. I think there shouldn't be a noticeable difference if the chrome caps were used on the brushed. :dunno: