PDA

View Full Version : Rain rain go away!

wjgolding
01-15-2011, 12:14 PM
My ED car (535i space gray) arrived today and the dealer is doing the detail as I write this.

Only problem is, it's raining outside! I hate to drive my brand new, freshly detailed 5 through the rain only to park it in my garage and have it covered with rainspots and tire spray back. As it dries.

What's a newbie owner to do? Do I get a nice towel and dry it down immediately after getting it home? Or delay pickup until it's dry out?

It'll be ready in about 3 hours, any advice is appreciated.

-BJ

markl53
01-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah I hear you. I picked mine up in the rain several months ago. Just drive it home and wash it tomorrow. I'd be careful just wiping it to dry it off -- if anything, I'd use a very wet cotton towel first. Congratulations and happy motoring in your new 5!

wjgolding
01-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Ok, got it. Are there any tips for washing the F10? Should I pickup a BMW car care kit at the dealer, or is there a better way to wash it? I don't mind the cost, just want to do what's best for the car.

Thanks!

markl53
01-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Ok, got it. Are there any tips for washing the F10? Should I pickup a BMW car care kit at the dealer, or is there a better way to wash it? I don't mind the cost, just want to do what's best for the car.

Thanks!

I think there's a detailing part of the forum. There are 1000's of opinions as far as washing your car. I keep things simple but I'm very careful. The car finish is easy to scratch, IMO, as have been all 3 of my BMW's. Don't rush to wipe it off without rinsing off any surface grit.

GiaGiaJa
01-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Since the car might already wax or seal from the dealership. It is not recommended to dry your car after rain because I think dust and small rocks could be on your car from driving. I normally leave it alone in the garage and let the car dry naturally. You can wipe off waters spot later but not when it still wet. I left a fews rock chips on mine without waiting for my car dry...now....no more :(

bmwarchitect
01-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks!

Suggest searching "car wash" on the forum. This thread discussed this issue. I posted a link there to a site that has good info and they show a new 550 detailing.
Congratulations on the car.