PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to swap M exhaust manifold on 550i?

jimefam
01-15-2011, 02:38 PM
As the title suggest I'm wondering if you can simply swap in the M exhaust manifold that BMW created for the S63 engine in the X5M and X6M? I'm pretty sure it will bolt on to the engine just fine as the block is the same but BMW also changed the turbos and I don't know if the housing is different. Perhaps someone on here with more knowledge can clear this up. As for what I'm hoping to achieve well it would help reduce lag and provide a more linear power curve but I don't think it would make that big of a difference in the short term. Only by putting on larger turbos and upping the boost significantly will it really be worth it. Reason I'm looking at it now is I'm having doubts about getting the dinan flash if big power is really what I'm after but there isn't much else out there now to do on this engine. Have the dinan money and the manifold is the same cost and if I don't use it now wife will! Chime in everyone.

Some background on the manifold:

http://m.automobilemag.com/features/news/0908_bmw_x6_x_replacing_turbo_lag_with_turbo_brag/runner_connections.html

solstice
01-15-2011, 06:08 PM
What about a combination of the two? Perhaps Dinan can answer on the likely outcome or even better they might have tested it. Btw you are the reason I will checking on this forum after my F10 is history. I can't wait to see what you will do and the results it will bring.

SANguru
01-15-2011, 06:24 PM
i'M sure somebody will build an aftermarket manifold. Going M won't be cost effective and I doubt if that part will be readily accessible. Start out with the standard proven mods, ie intake, exhaust, race cats, downpipe, intercoolers, meth injection and tune first before jumping off the deep end.

As the title suggest I'm wondering if you can simply swap in the M exhaust manifold that BMW created for the S63 engine in the X5M and X6M? I'm pretty sure it will bolt on to the engine just fine as the block is the same but BMW also changed the turbos and I don't know if the housing is different. Perhaps someone on here with more knowledge can clear this up. As for what I'm hoping to achieve well it would help reduce lag and provide a more linear power curve but I don't think it would make that big of a difference in the short term. Only by putting on larger turbos and upping the boost significantly will it really be worth it. Reason I'm looking at it now is I'm having doubts about getting the dinan flash if big power is really what I'm after but there isn't much else out there now to do on this engine. Have the dinan money and the manifold is the same cost and if I don't use it now wife will! Chime in everyone.

Some background on the manifold:

http://m.automobilemag.com/features/news/0908_bmw_x6_x_replacing_turbo_lag_with_turbo_brag/runner_connections.html

jimefam
01-15-2011, 06:24 PM
The dinan is great for an easy turn key solution with lots of piece of mind, but when I add other bolt-on's that don't come from dinan they will not be factored into their flash. I actually spoke with a dinan rep about this and he agreed that anything I put on the car will not be fully utilized with this flash. Of course he told me dinan is working on an exhaust for the f10 and will factor that in to a future stage 2 flash and then intake and an oil cooler or intercooler update for stage 3. Still these are very basic mods that will be a long time coming from dinan and will likely be conservative and over priced when they do. I have to say its a little frustrating trying to figure out what to do with this car, its very new and nothing is available now and there aren't any good tuners in Atlanta that i've been able to find. I might have to wait till more parts begin coming online or try to custom make everything.

Needsdecaf
01-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Even if the bolt-ons worked perfectly, without the software to take advantage of it, it wouldn't be worth it.

SANguru
01-15-2011, 06:26 PM
The dinan is great for an easy turn key solution with lots of piece of mind, but when I add other bolt-on's that don't come from dinan they will not be factored into their flash. I actually spoke with a dinan rep about this and he agreed that anything I put on the car will not be fully utilized with this flash. Of course he told me dinan is working on an exhaust for the f10 and will factor that in to a future stage 2 flash and then intake and an oil cooler or intercooler update for stage 3. Still these are very basic mods that will be a long time coming from dinan and will likely be conservative and over priced when they do. I have to say its a little frustrating trying to figure out what to do with this car, its very new and nothing is available now and there aren't any good tuners in Atlanta that i've been able to find. I might have to wait till more parts begin coming online or try to custom make everything.

anybody who has been through the dinan header mess with the E39 M5's and Z8's will caution you about any dinan headers... :thumbdwn:

jimefam
01-15-2011, 06:30 PM
i'M sure somebody will build an aftermarket manifold. Going M won't be cost effective and I doubt if that part will be readily accessible. Start out with the standard proven mods, ie intake, exhaust, race cats, downpipe, intercoolers, meth injection and tune first before jumping off the deep end.

Would love to but none of that exists just yet. Sure I could have the exhaust custom made and probably the intake as well but I haven't been able to find a shop in Atlanta that tune bmw's and look like they know what their doing. Tune is what we spoke of before, dinan is conservative and limited and no one else has anything out. The manifold is $2200 as quoted from tischer bmw and would take about 10 days to get to me.

jimefam
01-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Even if the bolt-ons worked perfectly, without the software to take advantage of it, it wouldn't be worth it.

right but Dinan is not the software for that. So i'm thinking get what I can when I can and then when the right software comes out that will allow me to tune for what I have then get that. In other words I could just sit still for a while till things start coming out or go in perhaps not the ideal order(ie exhaust manifold before the rest of the exhaust makes no sense except I can get an excellent manifold at a high but not unreasonable price now and the same cant be said for the rest of the exhaust) and do stuff now. I dont think I have the ability to sit still with this car for too long. Still I'm just trying to figure out which is the best way to procede cause what I dont want is for example have some custom exhaust made then want to dump it when something better comes out.

SANguru
01-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Would love to but none of that exists just yet. Sure I could have the exhaust custom made and probably the intake as well but I haven't been able to find a shop in Atlanta that tune bmw's and look like they know what their doing. Tune is what we spoke of before, dinan is conservative and limited and no one else has anything out. The manifold is $2200 as quoted from tischer bmw and would take about 10 days to get to me.

well..

1) go talk to a fabricator or to guys like underground racing or Heffner...
2) if the o2 sensors are at different locations, you will throw codes and go into limp mode. The software is the key. If not you would need to run o2 simulators.

modding a car to go fast is not slapping a bunch of parts together without software. I can guarantee you it will be slow. I am working with a couple tuners on some stuff but time to market won't be fast.

jimefam
01-15-2011, 10:49 PM
well..

1) go talk to a fabricator or to guys like underground racing or Heffner...
2) if the o2 sensors are at different locations, you will throw codes and go into limp mode. The software is the key. If not you would need to run o2 simulators.

modding a car to go fast is not slapping a bunch of parts together without software. I can guarantee you it will be slow. I am working with a couple tuners on some stuff but time to market won't be fast.

I would love for you to point out where I said I wouldn't be getting software to go with the parts? As you said time to market won't be fast so I can wait for software to come out or get started with whatever parts I can find as they come available. Looking for someone to help with your #1 above and created this thread specifically to address questions like your #2. Thanks for the feedback though seriously keep all feedback coming.

SANguru
01-15-2011, 11:35 PM
I would love for you to point out where I said I wouldn't be getting software to go with the parts? As you said time to market won't be fast so I can wait for software to come out or get started with whatever parts I can find as they come available. Looking for someone to help with your #1 above and created this thread specifically to address questions like your #2. Thanks for the feedback though seriously keep all feedback coming.

You missed the point. My point is throwing a bunch of hardware together yourself and then trying to work with some local tuner who has not done software won't get you anywhere. Like I said, work with people who have done other cars and have fabricated hardware and have access to people to do the software.

I can think of quite a few including the 2 above. VF Engineering is another option. They have a 650-700hp supercharged M3 and modded M5's and Garrett Lim at GIAC did the custom software and that's who I am looking to work with. I plan to run both the F430 and the 550i at the Mojave mile this April.

btw, do you even have a local dyno where you are?

jimefam
01-16-2011, 07:19 AM
You missed the point. My point is throwing a bunch of hardware together yourself and then trying to work with some local tuner who has not done software won't get you anywhere. Like I said, work with people who have done other cars and have fabricated hardware and have access to people to do the software.

I can think of quite a few including the 2 above. VF Engineering is another option. They have a 650-700hp supercharged M3 and modded M5's and Garrett Lim at GIAC did the custom software and that's who I am looking to work with. I plan to run both the F430 and the 550i at the Mojave mile this April.

btw, do you even have a local dyno where you are?

Lol yeah dyno's exist around here. But your right the hard part has been finding someone who can do everything right locally. Trmtuning is actually about 5 minutes away from my house and they have many 500-600hp+ E36's and E46's and they fabricate and tune everything in house. Problem is their experience is with older bmw's. Ron from performing imports also gets good marks around here and he's about 20 minutes away but he also is a dinan rep. Forged performance is excellent and helped before with my RB25 but they do mostly Porsche and Nissan GTR's. Also I grew up right by AA in Miami and go there regularly so maybe they could work. We'll see I will definitely make the rounds when my car finally gets here(two weeks!) and there are a few options but not the sheer amount of high quality tuners you guys have in Cali.