PDA

View Full Version : Low Seating/ High Beltline

1HOT BMR
01-15-2011, 05:54 PM
I don't like the feeling of sitting low with the window base at my shoulder - an extreme example of this being the Audi TT. In my efforts to compensate for this I had my seat set up so high that I thought the steering wheel was not retracting for ingress/egress but the problem was that it did not have any room to go any higher. The view of the top of the instruments was also blocked by the steering wheel and the view out was terrible anyway, in spite of me being perched up almost at the top of the seat range. I'm 5' 10" so it's not that I'm too short to see above the steering wheel without boosting the seat.

I finally decided to accept the sunken feeling given by the low seating position and the high beltline that my car has, so I adjusted the seats accordingly and I can now see the dials and the view out is not much worse than it was before.

This is my first BMW. Is this low seating/high beltline situation unique to the F10 or do all BMWs have it? I made the mistake of thinking this could be adjusted out with the comfort seats but it cannot. I'm disliking this but not enough to make me feel sorry I bought the car. I found a very comfortable driving position with the seat adjusted very low so all I need now is to get used to the "sitting in the bathtub" feeling :D

markl53
01-15-2011, 06:34 PM
In general, many cars have moved to a higher beltline, lower sitting position. We've had 3 Acura TL's for my wife, actually only 2 body styles. The '05/'08 model has a much lower sitting position relative to the doors than our '03. My '08 335i had slightly higher doors than my '05 330i. I'm only about 5'5" and have my F10 seat up pretty far, but the viewing position of the dash and road are very good for me. I don't think the low seating position is as noticeable as some other vehicles.

wessew
01-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Interesting. I am 5'10" and I find the seating position in terms of beltline just about perfect with the seat adjusted towards the higher end of the range. The beltline in this car is actually a bit lower than in my previous car: a Lexus.

1HOT BMR
01-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Interesting. I am 5'10" and I find the seating position in terms of beltline just about perfect with the seat adjusted towards the higher end of the range. The beltline in this car is actually a bit lower than in my previous car: a Lexus.

That is interesting indeed. I wish seat coordinates were as easy to share as the Equalizer settings since I would definitely like to try the seat settings you are using so I could solve my problem.
Can you see the dials without any blocking from the steering wheel? Do you have the M steering wheel? (it's a little fatter). Is the steering wheel really close to your chest when you drive? I ask because I like it at a distance and if the steering wheel is set as far away as possible from the driver the up and down motion is greatly restricted, thus creating the blocking problem I'm experiencing.

Rafa
01-16-2011, 08:08 PM
I also find the view of the upper part of the instrument panel blocked by the steering wheel. I have the comfort seat set up high and the steering wheel in the position closest to the dashboard. To me, it is not a major issue as I have HUD so I can see the speed there, and I do not have much of a need to constantly check the rpm.

Today, however, I fiddled with the seat and steering wheel adjustments and found a combination of positions that is better. I am sure that as I continue adjusting, I will find the right settings for me. It just takes a lot of trial and error to adjust the comfort seats and steering wheel so that they feel comfortable and are ergonomically correct. I plan to choose two settings that work for me and save them in the memory buttons.

Ian_C
01-17-2011, 03:55 AM
I felt the same way when I did ED in Oct. I felt like I was driving a tank. My daily driver was a Ford Explorer and I know the F10 is sightly longer and just as wide. You will find a combination that works and get used to the new dynamics of the car. I have 3,000 miles on mine and I really appreciate the range the car has. I actually like the comfort mode on long highway trips and I love the fact that I can switch to sport mode on the fly when I want to drive hard. I have been lucky and have not had any problems so far. :thumbup: