PDA

View Full Version : Interior color combo - opinions needed

myBMW535
01-16-2011, 09:27 PM
I am torn between Aluminum and Anthracite wood trim. The interior will be all black/nappa with perforated leather. Few dealers I went to did not have aluminum trim to look at. I wonder if anyone ordered it or has it already. It looks sharp on pictures but I do not know if it would stand out too much in real life.

bfv
01-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Pics look impressive; you must check 'em out in real.:angel:

pharding
01-16-2011, 09:42 PM
What is your exterior color? Are you getting M-Sport?

markl53
01-16-2011, 09:43 PM
The aluminum trim is too wide, bright and utilitarian looking for my tastes. The pictures of the hexagon aluminum trim in M Sport models seems to be a little better, IMO.

mikeriley
01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Its a personal choice down to what you prefer, elegant or edgy. Both are great but at the end its down to that. The wood will never look sporty and the aluminum will not be elegant.

FastMarkA
01-16-2011, 09:56 PM
FWIW my E60 has the bamboo anthracite; my F10 on order will have aluminium.

I think the aluminum looks more sporty and modern.

BimmerUKF10
01-17-2011, 02:48 AM
IMO the aluminium trim is horrible and cheap looking. It just does not suit the car at all regardless of the colour options. The hexagon trim is far nicer. Just my opinion, but I've seen both. I got anthracite, but would have considered hexagon had I seen it before placing the order. I also have everything black and the anthracite does not look too dark because there is a shiny metal trim that complements it.

myBMW535
01-17-2011, 04:11 AM
My exterior color would be Black Sapphire. I was also considering Imp Blue or Graphite.

johnbmw6
01-17-2011, 04:48 AM
Here is my interior on my 550i M Sport (UK) Oyster/Black with "Fine Line wood"

tim-atl
01-17-2011, 06:05 AM
I have Aluminum in my car (not a Bimmer) and to be honest, I hate it but had no other choice because it was part of the sport package. Our X5 has Dark Bamboo which is very close to Anthracite Wood Trim and I absolutely love it.

Slaymaster
01-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Go with the Anthracite wood! When choosing wood, there already is aluminum trim running under the wood. Take another look at the interior pictures!

pharding
01-17-2011, 06:56 AM
The aluminum trim on the 550i M-Sport in the US has a beautiful texture to it. You can see it here. http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458236 It appears that you don't get that with other versions in the US. I like that a lot with black. If it is the other Aluminum Trim that does not have that 3 dimensional texture I probably would not do it.

tlm999
01-17-2011, 06:58 AM
I've got the anthracite in my current E60 but find it is too dark with all black interior. No contrast whatsoever and barely noticeable. I don't like aluminum so will probably go with the dark wood trim on my F10.

johnbmw6
01-17-2011, 06:59 AM
The aluminum trim on the 550i M-Sport in the US has a beautiful texture to it. You can see it here. http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458236 It appears that you don't get that with other versions in the US. I like that a lot with black. If it is the other Aluminum Trim that does not have that 3 dimensional texture I probably would not do it. Unfortunately that exact alloy finish comes in ALL f10's in the UK making it the poor option. Sorry.

BimmerUKF10
01-17-2011, 08:41 AM
The aluminum trim on the 550i M-Sport in the US has a beautiful texture to it. You can see it here. http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458236 It appears that you don't get that with other versions in the US. I like that a lot with black. If it is the other Aluminum Trim that does not have that 3 dimensional texture I probably would not do it.

Hi Pharding - that is Hexagon NOT Aluminium. The Hexagon in the 5 looks pretty good I reckon, but the brushed Aluminium isn't great. It's a completely different look. The Hexagon has more of a 'Carbon Weave' look to it but is not textured like the hexagon in say the 3 series.

markl53
01-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi Pharding - that is Hexagon NOT Aluminium. The Hexagon in the 5 looks pretty good I reckon, but the brushed Aluminium isn't great. It's a completely different look. The Hexagon has more of a 'Carbon Weave' look to it but is not textured like the hexagon in say the 3 series.

I believe the M Sport "hexagon" is a textured aluminum. Agree, the smooth aluminum looks nowhere as good.

myBMW535
01-17-2011, 09:54 AM
I am not getting an M-package, so Hexagon aluminum is not an option. Also, with manual transmission as it appears, the center console is almost all plastic with an exception of a thin sliver of wood (or aluminum) to the right. It seems as the majority of votes are against plain aluminum so maybe I will either go with anthracite wood or even dark wood for slightly more contrast.

06Black550i
01-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Anthracite sets off adjacent chrome nicely IMO

Stanesq
01-17-2011, 10:34 AM
IMO the aluminium trim is horrible and cheap looking. It just does not suit the car at all regardless of the colour options. The hexagon trim is far nicer. Just my opinion, but I've seen both. I got anthracite, but would have considered hexagon had I seen it before placing the order. I also have everything black and the anthracite does not look too dark because there is a shiny metal trim that complements it.

I had the aluminum hexagon trim. Too me it is much too bright. It might work with the all black interior but does not work with the cinnamon brown at all. They are swapping the wood for the aluminum as we speak at the dealership.

In this thread below starting at post # 36 are photos of the Aluminum Hexagon trim.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509345&page=2&highlight=

elchevere
01-17-2011, 10:43 AM
I saw the aluminum trim with a Silver/ Black Napa interior on a M-sport model recently and thought it looked wonderful....really tied in nicely with the M-sport foot pedal rest and gave the car an overall hi-tech look in my opinion....not sure if aluminum would work as well with other combinations, however.

brott
01-17-2011, 11:57 AM
I saw the aluminum trim with a Silver/ Black Napa interior on a M-sport model recently and thought it looked wonderful....really tied in nicely with the M-sport foot pedal rest and gave the car an overall hi-tech look in my opinion....not sure if aluminum would work as well with other combinations, however.

Have this exact combo and love it! The aluminum trim with the Titanium Silver/Black Napa interior brings the outside color into the interior.

Mr. Magic
01-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Go with the Anthracite wood! When choosing wood, there already is aluminum trim running under the wood. Take another look at the interior pictures!

+1
Also, my CA steered me from even thinking of putting aluminum trim on it as nobody ended up liking it. Also, consider when it gets a bit "used", it will look cheap with fingerprints and stuck-on dust dulling it, perhaps even getting pitted if the wrong solvent is used to clean.

Like slaymaster said, it already has a metal trim piece that is stylish - if you go with the aluminum, you miss that element (it gets hidden).

The anthracite on a black car is very sharp.

brott
01-17-2011, 12:53 PM
+1
Also, my CA steered me from even thinking of putting aluminum trim on it as nobody ended up liking it. Also, consider when it gets a bit "used", it will look cheap with fingerprints and stuck-on dust dulling it, perhaps even getting pitted if the wrong solvent is used to clean.

Like slaymaster said, it already has a metal trim piece that is stylish - if you go with the aluminum, you miss that element (it gets hidden).

The anthracite on a black car is very sharp.

Not being argumentative.....however the trim is brushed and does not show fingerprints and to date no issues whatsoever.....also the chrome metal at the bottom still is a great accent piece......if I had another black car (this is our first non black 5 series BMW out of all the ones we have owned) I may not be so partial to the aluminum.

Bottom line as the old saying goes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :dunno:

BimmerUKF10
01-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Not being argumentative.....however the trim is brushed and does not show fingerprints and to date no issues whatsoever.....bottom line as the old saying goes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :dunno:

Absolutely! Everyone has different tastes. If you like something go for it, but a descision like this can't be taken lightly. Something you need to see in person.

The hexagon is definately NOT textured though. The finish is smooth and looks like a light carbon as mentioned. It is certainly not metal of any kind. The aluminium is exactly that, only not to my personal taste.

myBMW535
01-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Can anyone, if possible, post pics of their interior if you have aluminum with black? The ones I saw look ok, but it always helps to see more. Different lighting conditions also help. Agree, it is not the same as seeing it in person, but the aluminum in F10 is hard to come by.

markl53
01-17-2011, 01:32 PM
The hexagon is definately NOT textured though. The finish is smooth and looks like a light carbon as mentioned. It is certainly not metal of any kind.

And what material do you think it is? It's not wood or plastic, right? Go to the "build your own" 550i. Select M Sport package. Aluminum trim comes up standard. Look at the image and zoom in on the interior page. It's the textured hexagon M Sport aluminum trim. Maybe the texturing is under some protective "coating", but I'm betting the material is definitely aluminum.

johnbmw6
01-17-2011, 01:34 PM
And what material do you think it is? It's not wood or plastic, right? Go to the "build your own" 550i. Select M Sport package. Aluminum trim comes up standard. Look at the image and zoom in on the interior page. It's the textured hexagon M Sport aluminum trim. Maybe the texturing is under some protective "coating", but I'm betting the material is definitely aluminum.You are right Mark, standard trim is what it is.:thumbup:

BimmerUKF10
01-17-2011, 01:56 PM
And what material do you think it is? It's not wood or plastic, right? Go to the "build your own" 550i. Select M Sport package. Aluminum trim comes up standard. Look at the image and zoom in on the interior page. It's the textured hexagon M Sport aluminum trim. Maybe the texturing is under some protective "coating", but I'm betting the material is definitely aluminum.

It is possible hexagon has metal content of some kind, but honestly - it looks nothing like aluminium when you see it! It also looks nothing like the hexagon trim you see in other BMW's. Looks more like a woven sheeting impregnated with resin. Know what you mean by the build image and I was surprised when I saw it for real. Personally I actually prefer it.

brott
01-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Absolutely! Everyone has different tastes. If you like something go for it, but a descision like this can't be taken lightly. Something you need to see in person.

The hexagon is definately NOT textured though. The finish is smooth and looks like a light carbon as mentioned. It is certainly not metal of any kind. The aluminium is exactly that, only not to my personal taste.

Hmmmmm....mine is not hexagon.....it is smooth brushed aluminum.....will post some photos next. :thumbup:

BimmerUKF10
01-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah - brushed aluminium is a different option completely. It is metal whereas the hexagon trim looks more like a resin.

EvolutionTheory
01-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Hexagon from the M Sport package and all black is what I'll be going for based on the pictures I've seen taken by owners, and the opinion of my girlfriend :angel:

brott
01-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Can anyone, if possible, post pics of their interior if you have aluminum with black? The ones I saw look ok, but it always helps to see more. Different lighting conditions also help. Agree, it is not the same as seeing it in person, but the aluminum in F10 is hard to come by.

Photos of my aluminum trim interior :)