PDA

View Full Version : first time owner

Rad1o98
01-17-2011, 02:35 AM
I have recently purchased a 2008 X3 with 37000 miles on it. I am completely new to owning a BMW and would like some tips to preventative maintenance .....should I do more than the annual maintenance oil change...any first time bimmer owners tips would be greatly appreciated.

timfitz63
01-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Welcome to the BMW fold! Ultimately, it would be best for you to check out the E83 X3 sub-forum (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65), where you can find lots of group-think on the topic of maintenance intervals for your vehicle.

In general, the going wisdom regarding the one area where you would probably be better off to deviate from BMW's recommendations is oil change intervals; most folks on the forum agree they should be done at 5,000- to 7,500-mile intervals (rather than the 15,000-mile interval recommended by BMW). But, depending on how many miles you drive in a year, this advice might be amended by BMW's once-a-year recommendation.

Bear in mind that BMW will only do free oil changes on their recommended interval (15k; or annually, below a certain low-mileage threshold -- don't recall the exact number right now, but I believe it might be as little as 5,000-6,000 miles). So more frequent oil changes will likely be on your dime...

Stevej2001
01-17-2011, 07:54 AM
That's the BMW Car Club of America.

Their magazine, Roundel, is excellent and it's technical editor, Mike Miller has his suggested maintenance schedule. It's quite detailed and well reasoned. Rest assured he's going to recommend far more than the BMW schedule