PDA

View Full Version : Did a sprint against the M3 with interesting results...

fkim011
01-17-2011, 09:43 AM
My car just crossed the 1500 mile mark and I decided to open it up this weekend for a short sprint on the tollroads yesterday morning.

I have a 2011 M3 6speed, space grey on fox red fully loaded up MSRPing 71,XXX.

My 2011 550i is pretty loaded up too with the M Sport, Premium2, drivers assistance ect...

My brother and I have some track experience, and we both come from a long line of 6speed Porsches. I've tracked a GTS, Caymen, Panamera, 911 and a Boxster on closed circuit road courses. I've owned all the above cars as well other then the Panamera which was a Porsche driving event I was invited to.

I would say my brother is a quicker shifter then I am but I take better lines on the track which makes up sufficient amount of time.

We took 2 runs from a roll at 30MPH and got to triple digits where I was ahead of by a hair. From a complete stop he would always get the jump on me but I would start to reel him in from 80MPH on. I had the 550i in sport plus with the traction off and this was straight line only. I think people fail to realize to achieve the numbers BMW or any magazines quote, you have to shift perfectly everytime. In an automatic there really is no mistakes in shifting because the transmission does it itself. But rowing your own gears, perfection is a must and something I still strive for. Every perfect downshift with rev matching, blipping of the throttle and fast notch shifts is pure exhilaration for me and for my brother as well.

I had some interesting observations though- Even with the engine at wide open throttle, I couldn't hear a darn thing inside the cab. I thought this was kind of disappointing.

Where the M3 and the Porsches I had felt like it was being suctioned into the ground at higher speed, the 5 felt "floaty" to me. I know its not a sports car but its something that is pretty evident.

After 2 runs, my engine temp got hot pretty quick but it cooled down relatively quick as well. I would be concerned in really hot weather like Arizona if I was in stop and go traffic regarding cooling.

At the end of the day, I absolutely love this car. This car might feel a little heavy compared to the previous generation E60 but BMW was seriously deficient in the luxury department- this car got it right. The interior is beautiful as it is user friendly, the car rides less jarring and soaks up the road a lot better without added interior noise and the idrive got 200% better.

Anyways, just thought I'd share. I might do the dinan flash but I am on the fence on that one because I feel maybe the capabilities to cool the car won't be there. If i had that Dinan flash, it would be one of the ultimate sleepers on the road...

Frank

DXK
01-17-2011, 10:02 AM
That confirms what Autobuild has found, that 550i is at the M3 territory going from 0 to 200 -250 km/h, although M3 has advantage at lower speeds. Their car had sport auto tranny
Too bad it feels floaty, though.

vortexx
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Were you and your brother parked right off the 241 toll road in the Foothill Ranch shopping center by Peppino's around noon last week? If so, I saw your vehicles.

Rafa
01-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Fkim, you are certainly qualified to describe the F10 as a little floaty at speed. I do not have any track experience nor have I driven sports cars like the Porsches. To me, my 550i felt planted at 130+ mph. Ignorance is bliss, in my case.

It feels good to confirm from someone like you that the 550i is in M3 territory! Thank you for your excellent post; keep enjoying your BMWs and keep the comments coming.

fkim011
01-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Unfortunately I wasn't vortex. The M3 is pretty distinctive because it has the competition package with KW V3 coils slammed pretty low.

I'm glad I can be of service. If I were to take it in the back canyons, I have no doubt in my mind I would get my butt handed to me haha!

Rafa
01-17-2011, 11:35 AM
If I were to take it in the back canyons, I have no doubt in my mind I would get my butt handed to me haha!

Try it, you might surprise us!