PDA

View Full Version : Wax

mark2895
01-17-2011, 09:53 AM
I am about to take delivery on my new 535i and I am anal about the paint and finish on my cars and motorcycles. I want to start off on the right foot with my new baby and protect the paint and finish to the max. In the past I have used Liquid Glass. Just wondering if anyone has used anything else out there like Meguiar's or something else.

fkim011
01-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Meguiar's is garbage. The stuff just doesn't last. The only thing I would use from Meguiars is there cutting compound to get real deep scratches or excessive clearcoat damage taken care of.

Even though it's a pain the butt, I have used ZAINO for over 10 years and the shine with the seal is no comparision. I would also learn how to use a porter polish because it will help get you a better result and it really is easy to use.

mark2895
01-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Interesting....I never heard of this product so I check them out on the web an it turns out the ZAINO headquarters is 10 mins from my house. Go figure. Thanks for the insight I will definitely look into these guys.

fkim011
01-17-2011, 10:25 AM
The BMW forum I used to be on for the 3series and the Porsche forum swear by this product.

SANguru
01-17-2011, 10:56 AM
+1 on skipping Mcguiars.

I've used Zaino in the past. My detailer who does a lot of the concours cars during Monterey swears by Swissvax and Einzsett stuff.

Mr. Magic
01-17-2011, 11:00 AM
You'll find lots of opinions from detailers. I think TJPark01 in another forum 4 months ago recommended Einszett Glanz wax from Germany. It's a synthetic with carnuba added for shine. The advice given was that all these hyped-up synthetic-based waxes produce similar end result, so might as well go with the one that is easiest to apply. If figured, if easy to apply, it's more likely I will use it.

Glanz wipes on and wipes off quickly and does not leave chalky films behind on any trim (the F10 doesn't have any) or in creases. I applied 5 months ago when new - it lasted through up until our heavy rains here in California last month. I re-applied yesterday to my Black Sapphire 535i. Piece of cake - no fusses, and very tolerant. Black looks great again!

Another one I've had great results with on a white BMW is P21S - it's pure carnuba. It's softer, but shines so well! Ideal for a car that doesn't see much rain, or as a top shine. The Glanz, however, shines well enough for me.

Rafa
01-17-2011, 11:25 AM
You guys just burst my bubble: I use Meguiars. I'll switch to Swissvax or one of the other brands you recommend, as soon as I can find one. Thanks for the advise.

BimmerUKF10
01-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Wax can get very expensive, although I've had excellent results with Collinite 915. It is very reasonable and also very durable and lasts well. Ideally clay the car properly and give a couple of coats of acrylic sealant prior to application. My experience of dealer preparation has not been particularly good. To get the finish right will take at least 4 hours if you want to do it properly.

Needsdecaf
01-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Zaino is great because it produces an outstanding shine and lasts like stink.

For the ultimate, ultimate shine, you have to use one of the really good waxes like the ones mentioned. Zaino is a synthetic "wax" (I hate to say polish, because it does not polish - well, not all the products do). But the maintenance is far, far lower on Zaino then on a traditional wax product.

BimmerUKF10
01-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Never tried Zaino personally, but have other waxes such as Zymol Carbon and 777. IMO there is far too much hype around expensive waxes. Most of the benefit comes from the preparation. If the paint isn't perfect, neither will the shine be. Protecting with sealant first absolutely enhances the shine and make a big difference. Wax is largely a personal preference. Some are easier to use Nd buff / wipe off whereas some are more durable with varying degrees of shine. For me Collinite 915 on Carbon Black paint is a great match.

johnbmw6
01-17-2011, 12:39 PM
I am about to take delivery on my new 535i and I am anal about the paint and finish on my cars and motorcycles. I want to start off on the right foot with my new baby and protect the paint and finish to the max. In the past I have used Liquid Glass. Just wondering if anyone has used anything else out there like Meguiar's or something else. My 550i came saturday detailed, so I wanted to protect it with this;
Collinite No. 476S - Super Doublecoat Auto Wax

Polished it today wow it's come up great.:thumbup:

Munich77
01-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Plenty of choices for longevity I would consider the following:

Collonite 845
Finsh Kare 1000P
Blackfire Wet Diamond

BimmerUKF10
01-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Plenty of choices for longevity I would consider the following:

Collonite 845
Finsh Kare 1000P
Blackfire Wet Diamond

Think Collinite 845 is what I meant! Finishkare 1000P is also good and especially effective for keeping brake dust at bay on wheels.

melor
01-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Meguiar's is garbage. The stuff just doesn't last. The only thing I would use from Meguiars is there cutting compound to get real deep scratches or excessive clearcoat damage taken care of.

Even though it's a pain the butt, I have used ZAINO for over 10 years and the shine with the seal is no comparision. I would also learn how to use a porter polish because it will help get you a better result and it really is easy to use.

I have been very happy with the application, shine and length of service I have received with Meguiars #21 synthetic sealant. My suggestion would be to visit a local detailing supply shop and talk to the sales people.

I don't know what the rules are here about referring to businesses, but if you send me a PM I can tell you the name of a walk-in location in Irvine California that has been great for me. They sell Meguiars AND other brands.

Paul

TJPark01
01-17-2011, 01:28 PM

Meguiar's makes good products at reasonable prices. I don' care for all their products, but for the most part they are a trusted provider of quality car care products. To label the entire brand as "garbage" isn't doing anyone any good, and is rather typical of people who sing the praises of Zaino like it's some miracle elixir.
Do you think Meguiars has been in business for 100 years by fooling people? I guess all the car collectors at Pebble Beach Concourse de Elegance don't know what they're doing with their multimullion dollar investments by using this garbage.
Taking care of paint is an art. There's preparation, application technique and maintenance. You don't just slap on a product and expect to have a showroom finish.

laser
01-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Don't mean to be irreverent (well maybe a little) but here is our first Bimmer which has been parked outside under a tree in our daughter's college town for the past 5 years.

The car is 9 years old. Last waxed with Turtle Wax about 9 months ago.

Maybe due for another soon. :)

BimmerUKF10
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Taking care of paint is an art. There's preparation, application technique and maintenance. You don't just slap on a product and expect to have a showroom finish.

This is the key - Preparation is everything and if you want it to stay looking good, a decent wash technique followed by maintainance is very important. Forget those auto car washes and guys standing with a sponge in hand, you'll ruin your finish in the long run.

BimmerUKF10
01-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Turtle wax is underestimated. You can get fine results with it if used properly.

TJPark01
01-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Turtle wax is underestimated. You can get fine results with it if used properly.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with turtle wax. How long the wax will last has to do with so many different variables. Synthetic sealants, like Zaino tend to last longer than a carnuba based wax. But carnuba's make darker cars look "wet". I have about 1/2 dozen of them I use.
The biggest variable I find is to be ease of application. The Einzet Glanz wax is very watery and can be applied very easily, and dries in a minute. This means I am much more inclined to use it because it's less work.
Ultimately wax is pretty much all the same. It's the "sacrificial barrier". It's going to come off from the elements and when you wash the car.

salamigs
01-17-2011, 02:18 PM
How often do you folks go about "waxing" or "exterior detailing" your vehicles? I am a newbie in this department and this thread is helping quite a bit with respect to products; now I would like to hear the frequency you go by. My car is 2 months old only (with 300 miles on it, so not driven much), and the weather has been typical northwest weather with good amount of precipitation; so I am not that motivated to spend 8 hours (you claim 4 hours, but I am guardbanding it to make up for my lack of experience in this domain) if the shine is not going to be there. Quite frankly, I have the same logic with respect to waching the car, but I think I am going to have to do that at some point in time...

Any pointers?

ksoze
01-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Klasse

TJPark01
01-17-2011, 03:02 PM
How often do you folks go about "waxing" or "exterior detailing" your vehicles? Any pointers?

You can learn a lot more on a dedicated forum like Meguiars online. You will learn more about the process on that forum as it's filled with auto detailing enthusiasts. How often I wax the car really depends on how much it's rained and the season,garaged or outdoor, and my level of laziness. Short answer is once every 2 months. If you are not inclined to do it properly, I would seriously consider getting it professionally detailed, once a season, or twice a year. I'd also avoid car washes like the plague.

Eirerogue
01-17-2011, 09:39 PM
+1 on Zaino. Great products!

Houseofpang
01-17-2011, 11:18 PM
It is not only about wax, there is alot to learn about car detailing. How often you wax/detail your car depends on your car washing habits, daily parking and weather conditions. Learn the difference between sealant/polish/glaze/wax and how to properly wash a car. Swirl marks are not magic and appear out of no where over time, they are caused by contact with the paint without lubrication. Have a bottle of quick detailer in your trunk at all times to clean up birds droppings, hard water etc immediately. But for my current routine i use Claybar, then Meguiar M205 Polish, then FK1000P as sealant and Wet Diamonds on the clearbra.

Munich77
01-18-2011, 03:42 AM
There is a lot to learn about detailing as others have said. My recommendation is to go to autiopia.org or autogeek.net to read up in the forums. Generally, I give my cars a full detail in twice a year. During that detail, I clay bar the car and seal it. If I had a polisher I would remove swirls. I wash the cars approximately every two weeks with a two bucket method - one bucket with soap and one bucket in which I rinse of my wash mit prior to getting more soap. When drying I use quick detailer on the panel prior to drying to avoid additional surface scratches.

tim-atl
01-18-2011, 05:32 AM
Last waxed with Turtle Wax about 9 months ago.

BLASPHEMY!!! (just kidding)

Tim

Needsdecaf
01-18-2011, 07:09 AM
There is a lot to learn about detailing as others have said. My recommendation is to go to autiopia.org or autogeek.net to read up in the forums. Generally, I give my cars a full detail in twice a year. During that detail, I clay bar the car and seal it. If I had a polisher I would remove swirls. I wash the cars approximately every two weeks with a two bucket method - one bucket with soap and one bucket in which I rinse of my wash mit prior to getting more soap. When drying I use quick detailer on the panel prior to drying to avoid additional surface scratches.

Allow yourself a LOT of time to read these excellent websites.