PDA

View Full Version : How does the 535i xdrive do in snow?

soledoc
01-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm curious because I'd like to go without swapping out tires on two cars. I've also got an '02 525i wagon that I have snow tires on. I'm also currently swapping out tires on my daily driver '09 328i sedan. I'm keeping the wagon for a while but will be replacing my '09 328 with a '12 535i sedan. I am getting the sport package and see that the 19" tires are all season. I know about summer, all season and snow tires and realize snows are best, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the 19" all season tires on the 535i x drive.

I'm in central Indiana and we get a fair amount of snow, ice and sleet and cold temperatures in the winters. If it would get real bad I would just take my wagon. But what would be better? The wagon (RWD) with 16" snows or a 535i x drive with 19" all season? I'm thinking the wagon.

Alecop77
01-17-2011, 11:23 AM
I was out and about after one of our two big storms this year...no real issues...and I'm on sport rims and tires. Xdrive is not the same as a 4x4 so you still need to drive with caution...and avoid the big stuff...or maybe I should say deep stuff. Hate to ding my front end on frozen snow...

And in case anyone is wondering...no I haven't recovered form last night's game :mad:

soledoc
01-17-2011, 11:35 AM
I was out and about after one of our two big storms this year...no real issues...and I'm on sport rims and tires. Xdrive is not the same as a 4x4 so you still need to drive with caution...and avoid the big stuff...or maybe I should say deep stuff. Hate to ding my front end on frozen snow...

And in case anyone is wondering...no I haven't recovered form last night's game :mad:

What are the stock tires? Glad to hear that the car did well in New England.

We are in the same boat here in Indianapolis....beat in the playoffs by those J E T S :mad:

eld4221
01-17-2011, 12:46 PM
jets did play well in both games however-if they beat the steelers everyone probably will have to admit they are legit

FastMarkA
01-17-2011, 01:29 PM
X-Drive only helps you move, it doesn't help with stopping.

I have all-seasons with my E60 Xdrive, and it's so-so. I had snows with my previous S4, and that was spectacular. The car would go through anything. I imagine the BMW would be similar with X-Drive.

mzwicker
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
I have a new 5 with xdrive and the sports package. It will go in the snow with all seasons but it's day and night with snows.

I have winter (snow) tires on the Msport 19" wheels, and together with the Xdrive, the car is moving well through snow. I would strongly recommend, based on experience with so called "all season" tires mounted on my previous '08 535xi, that the latter are woefully inadequate for this part of the continent (Toronto, Canada). A year ago I found myself in a ditch as a result.

bikerboy
01-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Have had some significant snow here in Michigan so far this Winter. I have snow tires on the stock wheels. Goes like a tank. No problem AT ALL. I've driven rwd 5 series for years. Huge difference. If you really care about the handling in the snow you must have dedicated snow tires. Although all seasons might go, they won't stop well and sure won't turn well. If you have snows, you'll be able to get a lot more miles out of your other tires, whatever they may be.

baloo588
01-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Bikerboy,

I also live in Michigan and my dealership is Erhard BMW Bloomfield Hills. I have a 535i xdrive with 18 inch all season tires and would like to get winter package this year but at the end of this year instead. Which winter package do you have? I like the OEM BMW 18 inch winter package that they have for the 550i series with dunlop winter tires. The cost is about 2,700 dollars quoted.

Stanesq
01-17-2011, 07:43 PM
535xi with MSport 19" rims and All Season runflats on my car. Drove home last Tuesday night through roads that had 4"-5" of snow that was unplowed. I had no issues going 30 MPH in that weather and did not slide or feel out of control at all. Stopping was a different story as I made sure that I would start to apply the brakes probably 100 feet before the intersection. I am not sure snow tires would have made a tremendous difference in stopping.

DarienJim
01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Note that this exactly the same, but I replaced the factory tires on my 20" rims on the x6 with snow tires and I was shocked at the difference (how positive.) The tire guy said the biggest issue with the high performance tires is that they freeze and basically are unusable. I highly recommend snow tires if you have high performance tires. In fact, took my Porsche Boxter S out the other night since we were short a car and I need to get somewhere, and the roads had a little black ice but basically clear, and I could barely drive the damn thing on the P6's.

bikerboy
01-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Erhard BMW is also my dealership. I left my 19" stock wheels on and had Tire Rack ship out the Dunlop Sport Snows. They have been terrific. Driving on snow is absolutely no problem. Quite amazing since I've always had RWD BMW's in the past. I would rather use the stock wheels for my snows and put the money in some great looking after market wheels for my Summer tires. Tires were shipped to Nikolas Motorsports in Sylvan Lake. If it's not a dealer issue, I always go there. Service is great and prices are less. Plus, you know who's working on your car. Never know at dealers whether you have some rookie doing the work or someone with experience. David Nikolas told me that his wife has a 328 ix and he puts on snows. He said, and I've verified from experience, that snows will stop and turn better.

Since I have NO desire to run the stock tires, I'll put some high performance Summer tires on to get maximum performance when it finally clears up here. If you're so inclined to look at after market wheels, I like Street Legal Customs, on Woodward.

Needsdecaf
01-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Note that this exactly the same, but I replaced the factory tires on my 20" rims on the x6 with snow tires and I was shocked at the difference (how positive.) The tire guy said the biggest issue with the high performance tires is that they freeze and basically are unusable. I highly recommend snow tires if you have high performance tires. In fact, took my Porsche Boxter S out the other night since we were short a car and I need to get somewhere, and the roads had a little black ice but basically clear, and I could barely drive the damn thing on the P6's.

Summer tires, even on completely dry roads, have very little traction in the cold. Add in any ice & snow and bam.

baloo588
01-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Bikerboy, does your car feel smooth on the highways especially I-696, etc with the RFTs and with the winter Dunlop tires? Does the winter tires feel more smoother at this cold temperature? My RFT continental SSR tires transmit road irregularties/vibration on the highways (I-696, I-275) in the rear of the car even with well balanced tires. I tried a similar 535 with 18 inch rims and continetal tires and it does the same thing and I am concluding that it is the compound of the RFT that gets a bit stiff in winter. The car is very smooth under 65 mph and around town.

simonjb
01-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Today was another snow/ice/rain day in CT and the 550ixM sport handleled great on the Goodyear all season tires. The comparison to my old 550i is not fair (performance tires and no x drive), but how this new car handles the snow is night and day. I "played" with the car on a quite road and the traction was excellent - maybe not as good as my A6, but I was pleased with the traction and sureness of the tires.

soledoc
01-18-2011, 12:36 PM
I still haven't heard from anyone here what the stock 19" all season tires are with the sport package. I know some a/s tires are better than others. I always liked the Continental Extreme Contacts, but I'm sure that's not what will come with the 535i x drive.

I think in my situation I may be ok with the 19" a/s tires with an x drive and save my '02 525i wagon with 16" snow tires for really bad weather. Then I won't have to swap out tires on two cars each season.