PDA

View Full Version : New 5 series Design

cvdoj
01-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Just want to see what you guys think about the new body design. I can't say I'm too impressed with it. When I look at how MEAN the Audi's look I'm seriously considering on not buying another Bimmer until they restore the "get out of my way" look that these cars truly deserve. I'm interested in hearing what you guys really feel.

markl53
01-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Just want to see what you guys think about the new body design. I can't say I'm too impressed with it. When I look at how MEAN the Audi's look I'm seriously considering on not buying another Bimmer until they restore the "get out of my way" look that these cars truly deserve. I'm interested in hearing what you guys really feel.

Do you actually think the front of the E60 looked "mean" at all, meaner than the F10??? All those curves and "cutesies"? If you want mean, there's only one choice: Dodge Charger. Black.

kocsis
01-17-2011, 01:23 PM
I think the F10 with the M package looks mean enough. Certainly matches up with the Audis.

FastMarkA
01-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Dodge Charger. Black.

With the cop package. People will definitely get out of your way then.

Alecop77
01-17-2011, 01:40 PM
I love the F10 with the M sport package ...bye, bye Bangle...

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-17-2011, 01:49 PM

The new body design of the F10 blows the E60 away (search for the pictures that are on another thread where the two are side by side). Do not get me wrong, I am not putting the E60 down. Nevertheless, I fail to see the basis for the statement that BMW needs to restore its looks. (I have attached pictures of the E28, E34, E39, E60, and F10 for comparison purposes.) With regards to Audi, IMO the Audi product is not in the same class as the BMW product. IMO, the nose of the Audi looks confused and messy, rather than mean. With regards to mean, the F10 has plenty of that look, but keep in mind that the F10 is a luxury sports sedan that is targeted, for the most part, to a professional crowd. Therefore, there has to be some balance between mean looks and conservative luxury. When I was 26, which was a long time ago, I was thrilled with my Ford Mustang GT 5.0 convertible, but that is not the type of car that I want to be driving around in now.

laser
01-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Of all the cars that ran up on my back bumper this summer in Germany, the Audi LED look was the most menacing ......... then someone here referenced a strand of "Christmas lights" and I can't shake that image! :eek:

markl53
01-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Of all the cars that ran up on my back bumper this summer in Germany, the Audi LED look was the most menacing ......... then someone here referenced a strand of "Christmas lights" and I can't shake that image! :eek:

I think the Audi LED look was cool for a while, but now that it is used across all model lines, I think it's getting a little old already. What is their new SUV that has a line of LED boxes above the headlights-- starting to look a little contrived, IMO, for the sake of having LEDs. Remember the '92 Sable and Pontiacs of that time -- with the wide horizontal lighted central bar. Looked great for a couple of years, then faded into history.

brott
01-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Maybe it is just me however IMO the LED Christmas Light string on the Audi's is getting old already. And yes I am biased that the new LED Corona Headlight Rings (AKA Angel Eyes) are pure class by comparison.

brott
01-17-2011, 02:17 PM

Made the change to the F10 with no regrets whatsoever :thumbup:

brott
01-17-2011, 02:18 PM
i love the f10 with the m sport package ...bye, bye bangle...

+1000

Needsdecaf
01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
The new body design of the F10 blows the E60 away (search for the pictures that are on another thread where the two are side by side). Do not get me wrong, I am not putting the E60 down. Nevertheless, I fail to see the basis for the statement that BMW needs to restore its looks. (I have attached pictures of the E28, E34, E39, E60, and F10 for comparison purposes.) .

Couldn't agree more. First of all, the LED thing is getting ridiculous. Witness some of the more goofy designs.

Audi Q5:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3565/3458679393_887f22564c.jpg

Totally silly looking Audi Q7. Uh, overboard?

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/news/car/10q2/2011_audi_a4_a5_and_q5_get_eight-speed_automatic_transmissions_q5_2.0t_added-car_news/gallery/2011_audi_q7_headlight_and_led_running_lights_28eu ropean_spec_29_photo_54/3612215-1-eng-US/2011_audi_q7_euro_spec_1_cd_gallery.jpg

Double decker S Class, gilding the lilly?

http://automobilesdeluxe.tv/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/s-class-headlamp-grille-detail-automobiles-de-luxe.jpg

Sad looking lights on A4. Looks like they're crying:

http://image.dashzracing.com/frame/eurofeature/Audi_LED_1.jpg

The S5....the only one that actually enhances the looks:

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/1192/46091586.jpg

So yeah, now that every ricer has LED's fetsooned all over his car (I saw an Eclipse with no less than 5 SETS of LED's on the front end of their car the other day), it's even more played than angel eyes.

In any event, back to the BMW.

I'm not one who overly hated the E60 Bangle-ized 5 series. I saw it as a decent looking car (with the right wheels, on anything smaller than 18's the sides look WAY too big) but it lacked...BMW-ness. As soon as I saw the F01 I said, now that's what a BMW should look like and then lo and behold, the F10 looks like a smaller, taughter and more nimble version.

Keep in mind, I grew up admiring BMW's in the 80's and into the early 90's. 633 anyone? How about a 735i? Or an E30 3 series? BMW's have always blended athleticism and lithe looks with a purposeful handsomeness. The Bangle direction was just too jarring and not in tune with what the brand stood for, IMO. One of my thoughts behind purchasing the F10, which will be with us for quite some time, is that in 10 years no one will look at it and scream "dated".

As far as "mean" goes, well, how is THIS not intimidating?

http://sunwaytuner.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/bmw-5-series-m-sport-leaked-21965_1.jpg

Ronsell
01-17-2011, 05:14 PM
I think the Audi LED look was cool for a while, but now that it is used across all model lines, I think it's getting a little old already. What is their new SUV that has a line of LED boxes above the headlights-- starting to look a little contrived, IMO, for the sake of having LEDs. Remember the '92 Sable and Pontiacs of that time -- with the wide horizontal lighted central bar. Looked great for a couple of years, then faded into history.

I agree, Mark. I think the F10 design is clean and classic. I've never cared for that big
Audi grille (rather goofy looking, IMO), and I am not a fan of the Audi roof line (from
the B-pillar back--and especially those little black plastic wedges coming out from the
C-pillar).

brott
01-17-2011, 07:06 PM
couldn't agree more. First of all, the led thing is getting ridiculous. Witness some of the more goofy designs.

In any event, back to the bmw.

I'm not one who overly hated the e60 bangle-ized 5 series. I saw it as a decent looking car (with the right wheels, on anything smaller than 18's the sides look way too big) but it lacked...bmw-ness. As soon as i saw the f01 i said, now that's what a bmw should look like and then lo and behold, the f10 looks like a smaller, taughter and more nimble version.

Keep in mind, i grew up admiring bmw's in the 80's and into the early 90's. 633 anyone? How about a 735i? Or an e30 3 series? Bmw's have always blended athleticism and lithe looks with a purposeful handsomeness. The bangle direction was just too jarring and not in tune with what the brand stood for, imo. One of my thoughts behind purchasing the f10, which will be with us for quite some time, is that in 10 years no one will look at it and scream "dated".

As far as "mean" goes, well, how is this not intimidating?
+1000

cvdoj
01-22-2011, 08:56 PM
I understand the danger of posting that Audi has a more appealing design on a BMW forum. I am a die hard BMW fan but Audi has simply edged out the competition and Mercedes is coming in strong as well. I'm not generalizing when I say that everyone of my fellow BMW owners says that the new design has "Grown" on them. Most of people I speak with about the new Audi designs use words like HOT, Mean, and sporty.
BMW has always been a sports car with a little bit of luxury. Benz has always been a lot of luxury with a little bit of sport. Audi has taken the best of both and come up with a product that clearly has redefined the market.
Here are the facts:
Days on the lot for the RS4 and RS6 are 9-12 days and that is CLEARLY not the case for the F10 model or any of the new BMW designs. This is a post from a very knowledgeable BMW Fan.

The BMW person is rebutting the quoted statement :***8220;As a matter of fact, a Mercedes owner will not change for an Audi but the converse is not the case. One who used to drive an Audi will likely to go for a BMW or Mercedes at the end.***8221;

REALLY? And where do you get those statistics? Delusional fanboy crap like that is what will continue to be the downfall of BMW. Whether BMW is better than Audi or vice versa is a matter of opininon and nothing more. In many areas, Audi surpasses BMW as in other areas BMW surpasses Audi, but by not much. BMW has not answer for an R8 and so far Audi is loaded with cash to continue its agressive assault on the market. One who used to drive an Audi will not necessarily go for a BMW or MB and many BMW drivers have gone for Audis. I mean why drive a BMW ***8220;station wagon***8221; which is nothing more than imitation of the class leading Audi Avants. Any RS model easily handle any M model. I mean the new M3 could barely beat the old RS4 riding on a 7 year old chasis and in certain comparos it lost. Audi has moved the game forward, BMW is not catching up. So keep on being delusional

If you are unwilling to accept what the consumers are saying, thats ok. Ask around and see what your friends say about Audi. We all have our likes and dislikes, but the fact is that Audi is smoking BMW and I am a die hard BMW fanatic. I just can't go with BMW until their designers drop their testicles and actually decide to come out with cars that make a Bold statement. If I'm going to spend 70,000 dollars on a car it better say Don't F with me. BMW doesn't say that. Audi does. And again, BMW has no answer for the R8. Case closed

cvdoj
01-22-2011, 09:01 PM
And this is a reply to MarkL53. You have the gall to reccomend a Dodge Charger. Black?? on a beamer forum. Come on....Really??? I would rather walk than drive an American car especially a goofy car like the charger.

SANguru
01-22-2011, 09:36 PM
so why not go buy an audi? don't have to justify your purchases with us.

markl53
01-22-2011, 10:11 PM
And this is a reply to MarkL53. You have the gall to reccomend a Dodge Charger. Black?? on a beamer forum. Come on....Really??? I would rather walk than drive an American car especially a goofy car like the charger.

Man. I didn't say buy one. I think the Dodge Charger in black, with black grill trim, is one mean looking (and ugly) thing. If I see one behind me, even when I know it's not a police, it still gives me the willies. Don't get bent out of shape.

dunderhi
01-22-2011, 10:25 PM

The new Audi designs look a bit feminine to me, but the biggest factor that kept me from buying the new A6 or A8 is the after-thought looking pop-up NAV systems. With real-time traffic, my NAV is in use 100% of the time, and the cheap looking Audi pop-up NAV solution is embarassing.

I understand the danger of posting that Audi has a more appealing design on a BMW forum. I am a die hard BMW fan but Audi has simply edged out the competition and Mercedes is coming in strong as well. I'm not generalizing when I say that everyone of my fellow BMW owners says that the new design has "Grown" on them. Most of people I speak with about the new Audi designs use words like HOT, Mean, and sporty.
BMW has always been a sports car with a little bit of luxury. Benz has always been a lot of luxury with a little bit of sport. Audi has taken the best of both and come up with a product that clearly has redefined the market.
Here are the facts:
Days on the lot for the RS4 and RS6 are 9-12 days and that is CLEARLY not the case for the F10 model or any of the new BMW designs. This is a post from a very knowledgeable BMW Fan.

Facts? Neither the RS4 or the RS6 are in production or for sale. So much for being knowledgable. It looks like you really don't want our opinion, but just want to chime-in with some Audi fanboy claims. It's only your second post at B'fest and you just earned troll strike one.

The BMW person is rebutting the quoted statement :"As a matter of fact, a Mercedes owner will not change for an Audi but the converse is not the case. One who used to drive an Audi will likely to go for a BMW or Mercedes at the end."

Who are you responding to here? It looks like you are creating your own arguments. I used to drive an Audi, then I bought a pair of Benz's, and now I'm buying my second BMW, so what are you trying to say? Troll strike two.

REALLY? And where do you get those statistics? Delusional fanboy crap like that is what will continue to be the downfall of BMW. Whether BMW is better than Audi or vice versa is a matter of opininon and nothing more. In many areas, Audi surpasses BMW as in other areas BMW surpasses Audi, but by not much. BMW has not answer for an R8 and so far Audi is loaded with cash to continue its agressive assault on the market. One who used to drive an Audi will not necessarily go for a BMW or MB and many BMW drivers have gone for Audis. I mean why drive a BMW "station wagon" which is nothing more than imitation of the class leading Audi Avants. Any RS model easily handle any M model. I mean the new M3 could barely beat the old RS4 riding on a 7 year old chasis and in certain comparos it lost. Audi has moved the game forward, BMW is not catching up. So keep on being delusional

Whose statistics are you responding too? You're the one who is sounding delusional with Audi fanboy claims. The R8 is niche car much like the MB CL and BMW 6 Series. Does Audi have an answer to those models? Troll strike three.

If you are unwilling to accept what the consumers are saying, thats ok. Ask around and see what your friends say about Audi. We all have our likes and dislikes, but the fact is that Audi is smoking BMW and I am a die hard BMW fanatic. I just can't go with BMW until their designers drop their testicles and actually decide to come out with cars that make a Bold statement. If I'm going to spend 70,000 dollars on a car it better say Don't F with me. BMW doesn't say that. Audi does. And again, BMW has no answer for the R8. Case closed

BMW is enjoying record sales numbers, so what exactly are consumers saying? Where is your proof Audi is smoking anyone? The feminine looks of the new Audis look more like Paris Hilton's toy dog rather than Doberman-like BMW. The troll needs to be benched.

If you were a real BMW fanatic as you have claimed, you would know that it is Bimmer, not Beamer. Don't come back until you understand the difference. Time to eject the troll from the stadium.

tdepetra
01-23-2011, 04:39 AM
Here are the facts:

The BMW person is rebutting the quoted statement :***8220;As a matter of fact, a Mercedes owner will not change for an Audi but the converse is not the case. One who used to drive an Audi will likely to go for a BMW or Mercedes at the end.***8221;

REALLY? And where do you get those statistics? Delusional fanboy crap like that is what will continue to be the downfall of BMW. Whether BMW is better than Audi or vice versa is a matter of opininon and nothing more. In many areas, Audi surpasses BMW as in other areas BMW surpasses Audi, but by not much. BMW has not answer for an R8 and so far Audi is loaded with cash to continue its agressive assault on the market. One who used to drive an Audi will not necessarily go for a BMW or MB and many BMW drivers have gone for Audis. I mean why drive a BMW ***8220;station wagon***8221; which is nothing more than imitation of the class leading Audi Avants. Any RS model easily handle any M model. I mean the new M3 could barely beat the old RS4 riding on a 7 year old chasis and in certain comparos it lost. Audi has moved the game forward, BMW is not catching up. So keep on being delusional

Wow! Sigh.

Actually owning two Audis, including an A8, helped make my decision to own other cars and today, BMW. At resale, I was slaughtered. I wonder why?? Nobody wanted the junk, that's why. It was as if the whole world knew the car stranded me and needed to be flat-bedded six times -- and cost me more than $8,000 in out of warranty repairs in the six months before I essentially gave it away with 88,000 miles on the OD. If that wasn't enough, after the trade-in, the poor sucker of a dealer (the same one who slaughtered me on the trade-in) called me and asked me if I knew anything about the power steering failure they experienced test driving the car with a customer! Four months later, they were still trying to unload the junk. All this on a car that was serviced faithfully and driven very sanely.

Best of luck if you buy an Audi!

Slaymaster
01-23-2011, 05:35 AM

That would be me. :rofl: I was in the Christmas spirit when I made that statement. :rofl: Does anyone remember the commercial with a group of neighbors looking at the Christmas displays and everyone walking towards the 2 new Audi's pulling out of the garage with their lights on? I think that about sums it up. No manufacturer has yet rivaled the Corona Rings and kidney grills as a classy trademark. The LEDs on Audi, Benz, Porsche, and whichever other car maker adopts them, will cause them to disappear in another couple of years. The Corona Rings and kidney grills will be here for many years to come. You heard it here first!

B-1 Pilot
01-23-2011, 07:42 AM
I really guess personal preference matters, and this thread kind of makes me chuckle because if you asked me to give the #1 thing I like about the F10, it is the new exterior design. I almost bought an E60 almost 3 years ago, but when I saw the first spy photos of the F10 I stopped the process. The fact that I have to wait just 3 more months to find out where the military is sending me next before I order one is killing me (no use in buying a new car if Im going to spend a year in the desert).

On the other hand the Audi... if you asked me the number #1 thing I dont like about them, it's their design. I think the exteriors are boring (sans the the A5 coupe and A8), and their interiors suffer from multiple personality disorder -- i mean the tacked on LCD screens for nav are the worst!

As to brand to brand comparisons, I still say BMW all the way. I have owned BMWs since 1996, and knock on wood, have had no major maintenance issues. My immediate family (mom and brother) both had new/cpo audis that they kept for less than a year, and then got rid of at loss due to horrible maintenance issues.

As a final note, can anyone name the 2 cars pictured here? One is an $80,000 Audi, the other cost about $25k -- its no wonder former audi driver move up to BMW and mercedes, and not the other way around:

http://i56.tinypic.com/14sl3cl.png

Ronsell
01-23-2011, 08:18 AM
I really guess personal preference matters, and this thread kind of makes me chuckle because if you asked me to give the #1 thing I like about the F10, it is the new exterior design. I almost bought an E60 almost 3 years ago, but when I saw the first spy photos of the F10 I stopped the process. The fact that I have to wait just 3 more months to find out where the military is sending me next before I order one is killing me (no use in buying a new car if Im going to spend a year in the desert).

On the other hand the Audi... if you asked me the number #1 thing I dont like about them, it's their design. I think the exteriors are boring (sans the the A5 coupe and A8), and their interiors suffer from multiple personality disorder -- i mean the tacked on LCD screens for nav are the worst!

As to brand to brand comparisons, I still say BMW all the way. I have owned BMWs since 1996, and knock on wood, have had no major maintenance issues. My immediate family (mom and brother) both had new/cpo audis that they kept for less than a year, and then got rid of at loss due to horrible maintenance issues.

As a final note, can anyone name the 2 cars pictured here? One is an $80,000 Audi, the other cost about $25k -- its no wonder former audi driver move up to BMW and mercedes, and not the other way around:

http://i56.tinypic.com/14sl3cl.png

Good points, B-1. I believe the bottom car is either a Ford 500 or Mercury Montego.
In any case, IMO, both cars are about as attractive as Donald Trump's hairdo.

Needsdecaf
01-23-2011, 09:07 AM
I understand the danger of posting that Audi has a more appealing design on a BMW forum. I am a die hard BMW fan but Audi has simply edged out the competition and Mercedes is coming in strong as well.

Good for you and them. That's your opinion. Arguing about styling and looks is pointless. Everyone's got their own opinion, and it's usless to try to convince them otherwise. I don't wear oversized jeans with dragons on them, yet some people do. Do you think they wear them because they think they're ugly? Probably not.

Listen, Audi designs are handsome and appealing. I don't think anyone here would truly say that an Audi design is ugly. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so we have choices.

One last thing:

YOU started this thread. And you asked for all of our opinions. Remember?

So when we tell you how we really feel, don't start calling us fanbois, or trying to push YOUR opinion on us. If you think the Audi looks meaner than the BMW then good, enjoy. Personally I feel the opposite.

cvdoj
01-23-2011, 09:25 AM
It seems like NeedsDeCaf is the only sensible person on this forum. You are right, all I was asking for is an opinion and it seems like many of the people here got sensitive and let there feelings be hurt. Those of you who responded with "troll" comments need to unwind and not take it personally. To SANguru, dude...did you read the original post...It says "what do you guys think"? Not what car should I buy.
Like NeedsDeCaf said, everyone has their own opinion, preference and style. Quite simple

dunderhi
01-23-2011, 10:03 AM
It seems like NeedsDeCaf is the only sensible person on this forum. You are right, all I was asking for is an opinion and it seems like many of the people here got sensitive and let there feelings be hurt. Those of you who responded with "troll" comments need to unwind and not take it personally. To SANguru, dude...did you read the original post...It says "what do you guys think"? Not what car should I buy.
Like NeedsDeCaf said, everyone has their own opinion, preference and style. Quite simple

Your original post was fine. Your second post screamed TROLL, since YOU were the first person who got sensitive and let YOUR feelings get hurt when we didn't share your views on Audi. You made claims to be a BMW fanatic, but clearly YOUR words scream AUDI FANBOY. This is a BMW F10 forum, and presumably your question should have been with respect to an F10, but you made up data about RS4's & RS6's and made irrelevant arguments about the R8 to make some irrelevant point. Very few posts combined with inflammatory arguments with made-up data/claims earns you the label of TROLL!

So when we tell you how we really feel, don't start calling us fanbois, or trying to push YOUR opinion on us. If you think the Audi looks meaner than the BMW then good, enjoy. Personally I feel the opposite.

AND YES, I argree with Needsdecaf too. :rofl:

cvdoj
01-23-2011, 12:54 PM
And just so its crystal clear, I am not calling you or anyone on this forum, Fanbois. I cut and pasted from a different forum. I should have erased the word fanbois, but did not.

SANguru
01-23-2011, 03:40 PM

maybe you should reread your post... you said:

maybe you really should relearn how to compose a "question"

Needsdecaf
01-23-2011, 04:28 PM
What has disappointed me most about the new Audi's is that they all look the same. A4 first, then A8 and now A6...look like stretched versions of each other.

Yet....BMW is returning to the same format. F01 followed by F10 which looks very similar. Yet....I like it.

I need to stop drinking or something. LOL.

Seriously, though, I was very convinced that my next car would be an S4, a previous gen A8 or an A6. And yet... they just don't do it for me any more. I remember seeing the A8 at the NY car show for the first time and just being totally underwhelmed.

anthony@empireleasing
01-23-2011, 04:45 PM
All bmws look the same at this poit too... but as with previous versions it may take some time to grow on you. I feel it needs a few better wheel options to make it look a bit sportier but some may never like it.

Sent from my Nexus One using Bimmer App

anthony@empireleasing
01-23-2011, 04:49 PM
The audi has a more german tuner look i agree but the new 5 msport or schnitzer is quite mean. Its all personal... i wouldn't lambaste your opinion afterall opinions do shape the market. Bmw has a good balance so that it attracts a good section. Affterall its a great car and a great brand

FastMarkA
01-23-2011, 05:01 PM
I have an F10 on order, but if the 2012 A6 were available now, I probably would have gone with that over the F10 based on what I have seen. At the end of the day, it's just a car that provides me transportation from Point A to Point B, and if I don't like it, it's gone in 3 years.

I think both BMW and Audi have their own strengths.

It's a very myopic, short-sighted person who says one is better than the other.

And for the folks who think the Audis look alike, have you seen the 5-series and 7-series lately? I still cannot tell them apart from a distance.

swajames
01-23-2011, 05:17 PM
As others have said, my problem with the F10 is just that it's a little too bland and essentially interchangeable with the F01 and, to a lesser degree, the E9X. With the 3,5 and 7, BMW now offers one sausage in three lengths. It's easy to understand why BMW opted for a more conservative design, many have found some of the designs released under Bangle's leadership to be polarizing (the E60, of course, wasn't designed by Bangle, it was designed by David Arcangelli). For me, BMW has missed the mark with the F10. Whereas the E60 was a rule breaker and a thought leader, the F10 is more of a follower. I understand why they did it, and sales have been holding up, but to me it's a missed opportunity. It's not a bad looking car, but where the E60 was (for its time) bold, exciting, challenging and fresh, I just feel the F10 is a little too conservative and perhaps a little too bland. I like it, but I loved the E60 design.

beashonda
01-23-2011, 06:10 PM
I have an F10 on order, but if the 2012 A6 were available now, I probably would have gone with that over the F10 based on what I have seen. At the end of the day, it's just a car that provides me transportation from Point A to Point B, and if I don't like it, it's gone in 3 years.

I think both BMW and Audi have their own strengths.

It's a very myopic, short-sighted person who says one is better than the other.

And for the folks who think the Audis look alike, have you seen the 5-series and 7-series lately? I still cannot tell them apart from a distance.

Actually add the 3series from behind to the mix and I really can't tell until I get closer. While I like my F10, it looks like a 7 series from the front and 3 series from the back.:dunno:

laser
01-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Actually add the 3series from behind to the mix and I really can't tell until I get closer. While I like my F10, it looks like a 7 series from the front and 3 series from the back.:dunno:

Nothing wrong with sibling resemblance as long as it is an attractive family!

When I first saw the new F10 design I thought wow that looks a lot like my wife's 2009 328i which had undergone a few styling improvements.

The front end of the 328i has a resemblance to the F10 M Sport front end. The rear lights had gone all red not the red / white previous look. The 2009 E92 added creases in the hood which was replicated and exaggerated on the F10.

I think they are both beautiful cars. The F01 carries it off well too although can look too big IMO.

Capobranco
01-24-2011, 02:58 PM
As others have said, my problem with the F10 is just that it's a little too bland and essentially interchangeable with the F01 and, to a lesser degree, the E9X. With the 3,5 and 7, BMW now offers one sausage in three lengths. It's easy to understand why BMW opted for a more conservative design, many have found some of the designs released under Bangle's leadership to be polarizing (the E60, of course, wasn't designed by Bangle, it was designed by David Arcangelli). For me, BMW has missed the mark with the F10. Whereas the E60 was a rule breaker and a thought leader, the F10 is more of a follower. I understand why they did it, and sales have been holding up, but to me it's a missed opportunity. It's not a bad looking car, but where the E60 was (for its time) bold, exciting, challenging and fresh, I just feel the F10 is a little too conservative and perhaps a little too bland. I like it, but I loved the E60 design.

Very good points.

While getting my car serviced I had a chance to closely examine a new F10. The lines of the car are logical and purposeful. The styling communicates a taut athleticism. Having owned 5 BMWs including an E39 – I appreciated the artful incorporation of BMW styling cues and the conscious effort to work within a design language that instantly communicates BMW. The kidney grill is lower and wider, the overhangs are short, the longer wheelbase imparts a feeling of litheness - a graceful casual elegance. The sculptural lines from front to back convey a dynamic feeling of speed but not youthful overindulgence. The rear and the taillights are pure BMW. Overall the feeling is of restrained power - tautness – an athlete poised to make his move. The F10 is a perfectly styled car that exorcises the polarizing Bangle F60. Moreover, you can see the application of the same design language in the F01 which I consider to be an example of industrial art.

So what is the problem….the F10 needs a dose of panache. The styling is correct but so retrained that it makes little visual impact. The F60 spawned a plethora of BMW wannabes and ironically a casual observer might mistakenly think that the F10 is derivative of designs that attempted to clone BMW DNA. In its efforts to exorcise the spirit of Bangle, BMW has diluted the potential of the F10 to break new ground. The F10 is clearly a BMW but a softer more conservative BMW – perhaps more in tune with its market demographic. I understand the F10 has met its sales projections. It’s hard to argue the numbers, however, historically I always viewed the 5 series as having a unique BMW edginess - its styling communicated that this sedan was special - a driver oriented sedan infused with sports car genes. The F10 merely whispers its sports sedan hertitage. Paradoxically, the F10 is a perfectly styled car from a technical perspective that takes few aesthetic risks, and most likely appeals to a conservative core BMW constituency, however, in the process, BMW has created a car that lacks visual excitement and a sense of inspiration. I may purchase a F10 because it is a BMW and I appreciate the brand but the got to have it factor is missing.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-24-2011, 03:17 PM
I respectfully disagree with the criticism of the F10 posted by swajames and svanil. A picture is worth a thousand words. On page one of this thread, I posted five pictures of the different generations of the Five Series, including the F10. I just don't see how you can legitimately say that the F10 is lacking something in the looks department when you compare it to its ancestors. IMO, the F10 may very well be the best looking one of the group.

TMQ
01-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Pictures aren't really worth that much, compared to seeing the cars in person. The lighting, color, etc. all make a difference.

Design is of course subjective.

While F10 avoids controversy, it hasn't exactly got the world at hello. The best aspect of the F10 design is the side profile, but everything else is just too plain. While it shares some design language with the new Z4, it's just not that interesting. As an E60 owner, I might be biased, but E60 design is avant garde, and will likely remain interesting looking 10 years from now. F10 is just a shorter F01, aka a shorter sausage.

Slaymaster
01-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Pictures aren't really worth that much, compared to seeing the cars in person. The lighting, color, etc. all make a difference.

While F10 avoids controversy, it hasn't exactly got the world at hello. The best aspect of the F10 design is the side profile, but everything else is just too plain. While it shares some design language with the new Z4, it's just not that interesting. As an E60 owner, I might be biased, but E60 design is avant garde, and will likely remain interesting looking 10 years from now. F10 is just a shorter F01, aka a shorter sausage.

Wow, and thought I purchased a newly designed, cutting edge BMW and all I purchased was a Bratwurst.....sigh.. :cry:

laser
01-24-2011, 04:08 PM

LOL ...... the E 60 (I had one and liked it) is like the "bathtub" Porche design ... they moved on .... so did BMW .....

Needsdecaf
01-24-2011, 04:27 PM
As an E60 owner, I might be biased, but E60 design is avant garde, and will likely remain interesting looking 10 years from now. F10 is just a shorter F01, aka a shorter sausage.

This is why we have different choices. Where you see avant garde, and timeless, I see something brash that will be dated quickly.

When I look at the F10, I see a timeless design that will still look fresh in 15 years, much like many of the older BMW's still do.

But that's why we all have our own opinions.

anthony@empireleasing
01-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Many people were critical of the e60 when it first dropped. New design always takes a while to grow on some. I liked the c concept so i love the lines of the front end and
sides

B-1 Pilot
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
In summary:

have an E60 or 550GT = dont like the look of the new F10 that you don't have.

have a F10 or want one = like the look of the car you have / want.

As for Audi, some like, some don't, but being a BMW board, more prefer the BMW.

Did I miss anything :D

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-24-2011, 05:24 PM
All of this debating is getting me confused. I can not tell which picture is of the bratwurst and which pictures are of my F10. :dunno:

Munich77
01-24-2011, 07:14 PM
The F10 is a great looking car - yes it is part of the same sausage different design mentality but I think the size of the f10 makes the design look the best. I drive an E60 and have to admit I was not too much in love with the design when it came out. The LCI updates made the car look great. The F10 is growing on me much quicker - but yes it has to have the M package.

mark2895
01-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Bottom line is everyone has their own "taste" and it makes us all different. I like the Audi, it's a good quality car and no one can say the car isn't a good car. Same with BMW. Yeah they both have their little qwerks. I prefer the new 5 series which is why I pulled the trigger on my new 535i X Drive. No regrets. Again, they are both good. I am just happy I can be in a position to afford either one!

markl53
01-24-2011, 07:29 PM

Yes, it certainly is.

As an E60 owner, I might be biased, but E60 design is avant garde, and will likely remain interesting looking 10 years from now.

IMO, the best view of the E60 is from the back. The side is rather bland -- when I first saw it I thought it looked Japanese and generic. The front is too "soft", all curves and "pretty" lines. The F10, IMO, says "BMW" the second you lay eyes on it. There's no mistaking its pedigree. Strong and powerful front, beautiful lines on the side, finished with a stylish rear-end :yikes::thumbup:

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-25-2011, 02:57 AM
As I stated earlier in this thread, I am not putting down the E60. I do agree that there is an element of subjectivity in this discussion. Personally, I prefer the alpine white vehicles, whereas most Fest members prefer a darker skin. I regularly come into contact (no, I do not have a collision) with an almost showroom new alpine white E60 with a black leather interior. It is a very nice looking car, however and IMO, the F10 nevertheless blows it away. (I have an alpine white F10 with a beige interior.)

I agree with mark153's description of the F10:

There's no mistaking its pedigree. Strong and powerful front, beautiful lines on the side, finished with a stylish rear-end :yikes::thumbup:

IMO, the E60 has a much softer look and lacks the more powerful statement made by the F10.

I also stand behind my analysis based upon the pictures that I posted earlier in this thread, which was subsequently criticized. I have been in and am familiar with the last three generations of the Five Series (F10, E60, E39) and IMO the pictures that I have posted fairly & accurately depict them. IMO, the F10 is most probably the best looking of the three. With regards to the E34 and E28, I acknowledge that I have not been in these two vehicles although I have seen them, however, they are from a much earlier era and are very different from the most recent three generations. Overall, I believe that the F10 has the best appearance and the best technology (both interior and exterior) when compared to all five generations of the Five Series.

Ronsell
01-25-2011, 05:50 AM
Yes, it certainly is.

IMO, the best view of the E60 is from the back. The side is rather bland -- when I first saw it I thought it looked Japanese and generic. The front is too "soft", all curves and "pretty" lines. The F10, IMO, says "BMW" the second you lay eyes on it. There's no mistaking its pedigree. Strong and powerful front, beautiful lines on the side, finished with a stylish rear-end :yikes::thumbup:

I think you are describing my girlfriend, Mark. ;)

johnbmw6
01-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Just want to see what you guys think about the new body design. I can't say I'm too impressed with it. When I look at how MEAN the Audi's look I'm seriously considering on not buying another Bimmer until they restore the "get out of my way" look that these cars truly deserve. I'm interested in hearing what you guys really feel.:) How mean does this look?.

geo3515
01-25-2011, 07:55 AM
I like both designs. Maybe F10 has cleaner lines.

Ronsell
01-25-2011, 08:02 AM
I like both designs. Maybe F10 has cleaner lines.

Both are wonderful cars, but I prefer the more aggressive front end on the F10.

markl53
01-25-2011, 08:49 AM
i think you are describing my girlfriend, mark. ;)

lol!

platinumms
01-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Anyone heard about this site www.bestcarpurchase.com from LA ? They lease the 2011 bmw 5 series for 497/month

Rafa
01-27-2011, 08:42 AM
:) How mean does this look?.

Great pics! That's mean elegance from every angle.

Beemerup
01-27-2011, 12:50 PM
CVDOJ...i think the new 5's kick ASS. WHen you say, the "audi's" well...there are ALOT of them...so pick one, and i'll rip it apart compared to the 5...as you did ask for my opinion...you need to narrow it down a little.

cvdoj
01-28-2011, 06:59 AM
DunderHi - You're a TROLL for wanting to get your 1 cent in after you clearly repeated what everyone has said.

SungUru- What planet are you from that you can't understand simple English? Learn how to read and not interpret what you want to take from things.

Again, the question is WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE DESIGN??? If I could post in sign language for you I would.

Needsdecaf
01-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Again, the question is WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE DESIGN??? If I could post in sign language for you I would.

How many more answers do you want? I think plenty of people have answered your question.

jzcrna
01-28-2011, 07:29 AM

As I was reading about the LED comments, did you guys happen to notice the "angel eyes" on the new camaros? Damn copycats.

tdepetra
01-28-2011, 07:42 AM
How many more answers do you want? I think plenty of people have answered your question.

Waiting for precisely the "right" answer. Click - unsubscribe.

cvdoj
01-28-2011, 08:20 AM
CVDOJ...i think the new 5's kick ASS. WHen you say, the "audi's" well...there are ALOT of them...so pick one, and i'll rip it apart compared to the 5...as you did ask for my opinion...you need to narrow it down a little.

BeemerUp you have a point. I'm just saying, most people I've spoken to say "the 5 design is growing on me" where as many more people that see the Audi, say, wow that looks mean.

Mechanically speaking the 5 is Superior. I never said it wasn't. I agree that you will rip it up but solely on design, like NeedsDecaf said, its preference and that's what I'm seeing on the forums. I have respect for most of my fellow BMW owners, but I must say I have a problem buying a car whose design has to grow on me. I will wait til BMW starts daring to come out with bolder designs.

Needsdecaf
01-28-2011, 08:57 AM
BeemerUp you have a point. I'm just saying, most people I've spoken to say "the 5 design is growing on me" where as many more people that see the Audi, say, wow that looks mean.

Mechanically speaking the 5 is Superior. I never said it wasn't. I agree that you will rip it up but solely on design, like NeedsDecaf said, its preference and that's what I'm seeing on the forums. I have respect for most of my fellow BMW owners, but I must say I have a problem buying a car whose design has to grow on me. I will wait til BMW starts daring to come out with bolder designs.

In this thread, the number of people who need the design to grow on them are outnumbered 3:1, more or less, by those who think it grabbed them right away. So I'm not sure where your "most people" are coming from...not here, for sure.

Personally, the first time I saw an F10 my very thought was "now THAT is what a BMW should look like".

Rafa
01-28-2011, 09:04 AM
In this thread, the number of people who need the design to grow on them are outnumbered 3:1, more or less, by those who think it grabbed them right away. So I'm not sure where your "most people" are coming from...not here, for sure.

Personally, the first time I saw an F10 my very thought was "now THAT is what a BMW should look like".

Count me in the "love at first sight" group.

johnbmw6
01-28-2011, 10:02 AM
I liked the design and bought one, 550i M Sport nuf said. More people flock round this car than the 2010 M3 I just sold, that must say something.

laser
01-28-2011, 10:07 AM
The minute I saw a good photo of the F10 I knew it was to be my next BMW. :thumbup:

It is destined to be one of the classic "keeper" designs like the E38, E39, E46 ......... :)

Slaymaster
01-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Hi cvdoj, I'm not quite sure why a car must have an immediate design appeal. When the E60 was launched, most everyone including BMW enthusiast yelled foul with it's totally new “Space Aged” design. Today virtually all car manufacturers have ques from the E60. Now let's think of a car that took the US car market by storm. No, I'm talking about the Ford Mustang but the Chrysler PT Cruiser. When the PT was revealed to America, they were selling for a premium and Chrysler couldn't keep up with the thousands of placed orders. Today, most would be embarrassed to drive one and would pay an extra premium not to drive one as a rental. There is nothing wrong with a car design growing on someone IMO.

cvdoj
01-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi cvdoj, I'm not quite sure why a car must have an immediate design appeal. When the E60 was launched, most everyone including BMW enthusiast yelled foul with it's totally new “Space Aged” design. Today virtually all car manufacturers have ques from the E60. Now let's think of a car that took the US car market by storm. No, I'm talking about the Ford Mustang but the Chrysler PT Cruiser. When the PT was revealed to America, they were selling for a premium and Chrysler couldn't keep up with the thousands of placed orders. Today, most would be embarrassed to drive one and would pay an extra premium not to drive one as a rental. There is nothing wrong with a car design growing on someone IMO.

Hi Slaymaster. For me, its kind of similar to buying a house. Second to a house your car is one of the bigger purchases you will make in life. Now, I am definitely not going to drop 400k on a house that "grows" on me. For that kind of money it better be something I really like and I will enjoy being in. Believe me when I tell you many people I know say they wished BMW would have designed something more along the lines of their concept cars. I will post a pic later. I just feel they could have done a better job. It just seems like their hiding more of the sports aspect of the car and displaying more of the luxury. Thats why people buy Lexus and MB. BMW IMO is a lot of sport with a bit of luxury and I feel they have moved away from that in their latest design.

Slaymaster
01-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Hi Slaymaster. For me, its kind of similar to buying a house. Second to a house your car is one of the bigger purchases you will make in life. Now, I am definitely not going to drop 400k on a house that "grows" on me. For that kind of money it better be something I really like and I will enjoy being in. Believe me when I tell you many people I know say they wished BMW would have designed something more along the lines of their concept cars. I will post a pic later. I just feel they could have done a better job. It just seems like their hiding more of the sports aspect of the car and displaying more of the luxury. Thats why people buy Lexus and MB. BMW IMO is a lot of sport with a bit of luxury and I feel they have moved away from that in their latest design.

True, but a house is very different conversation. Contemporary homes are trendy and go out of style quickly as the modern furniture furnishing them. Cars fall under this thread with the exception of cars like the new Challenger and Camaro where the manufacturer decided to resurrect older contemporary designs and update them being the originals were bidding high at car auctions like Barrett Jackson.

IMO, cars are always going to be redesigned and the consumer will love it at first glance, hate it now and love it later or just flat out hate it. Then the manufacturer will redesign the car because of loss of sales which was experienced by Acura with the 09 redesign of the TL.

I guess time will tell....

SANguru
01-28-2011, 02:08 PM
DunderHi - You're a TROLL for wanting to get your 1 cent in after you clearly repeated what everyone has said.

SungUru- What planet are you from that you can't understand simple English? Learn how to read and not interpret what you want to take from things.

can't help you if you can't spell and can't comprehend. Have a nice life in the bottom of the pile. Time for the mods to ban this troll.

Gsearles
01-29-2011, 07:32 AM
I really like the new styling. I'm neither especially young or old (37) and there are lots of cars both "mean" looking and more conservative that I like. Mean? My black CTS with no front license plate looks plenty mean in a rear-view mirror. I love the look of it. But I also like the more understated but still "muscular" look of the new 5, especially the front hood and 19 inch wheels which look awesome. Can't wait to get my titanium silver 535i x-drive in March!

dunderhi
01-29-2011, 11:48 AM

Ouch! On only your fifth post you decided to call a me a troll? Did you forget you already replied to my posts apologizing for calling us fanbois? I've not been part of this thread since I answered your question, so what's your problem? To be perfectly clear, the F10 looks great, and the Audi designs look feminine.

Finally, why are your here at Bimmerfest? What are you hoping to contribute to our community? If the answer is nothing or to stir up some trouble then you are by definition a troll.

markl53
01-29-2011, 12:25 PM
It just seems like their hiding more of the sports aspect of the car and displaying more of the luxury. Thats why people buy Lexus and MB. BMW IMO is a lot of sport with a bit of luxury and I feel they have moved away from that in their latest design.

Are people serious when they think the E60 looked so sporty? I don't get it. The E60 certainly looked "different" when first introduced, but sporty was not one of the adjectives I would use. The E60 grew on me after a couple years, but now that the F10 is here, it accentuates the badness of the E60 design, IMO. The front of the E60 is quite soft, with curved panels and curvy grill. The side to me was always generic and Japanese-looking. The rear, IMO, is the best part of the E60 design. Sporty? I don't see where that aspect blows away the F10. The F10 has a muscular, sporty and elegant look. It's a BMW a mile away, don't have to think what brand it is. Sorry to say, but the E60 now looks dated when I see one. I think the E39 still has a classic look, beyond that of the E60 design.

johnbmw6
01-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Are people serious when they think the E60 looked so sporty? I don't get it. The E60 certainly looked "different" when first introduced, but sporty was not one of the adjectives I would use. The E60 grew on me after a couple years, but now that the F10 is here, it accentuates the badness of the E60 design, IMO. The front of the E60 is quite soft, with curved panels and curvy grill. The side to me was always generic and Japanese-looking. The rear, IMO, is the best part of the E60 design. Sporty? I don't see where that aspect blows away the F10. The F10 has a muscular, sporty and elegant look. It's a BMW a mile away, don't have to think what brand it is. Sorry to say, but the E60 now looks dated when I see one. I think the E39 still has a classic look, beyond that of the E60 design.I agree Mark, I never gave the E60 a second glance ever.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-29-2011, 04:47 PM
In July 2010, I went to my local BMW dealership because it was time to start looking for a new car. At that time, we already had a 2010 X5 in our stable, which is a fantastic SAV, and I was considering a leasing another. I decided, however, to first test drive a 535i. In short, the moment I sat in the car it was all over. Any remaining doubts were ended the moment I pulled out of the dealer's lot and onto the highway. It was love at first sight. The F10 was going to be our next vehicle. I picked my 535xi (I wanted the x drive) up on October 23, 2011 and have been having a blast ever since.

JoeRoadster
01-29-2011, 05:08 PM
I have a 2005 Audi A4 today. This was the year they introduced the big fat front grille. It was both impressive and controversial when the design first hit the streets.

I loved the look (both inside and out), sport performance, and all wheel drive. I bought one.

It has been a great ride... Zero complaints.

My next car, however, is the F10.

First and foremost, when you drive the same car for 5 years, you need a change. All of the audis resembled what i already had, so that put the audi at a disadvantage.

Plus, IMO over the years the audis have become tacky looking. Not a good evolution. Aesthetics plays a lot into my purchases.

I will say, the S4 and S5 are amazing performers. Rockets man!

Even when I found myself reconsidering the Audi, the final nail in the coffin was availability. audi has nothing in stock in my region, and special order was estimated at 5 months.

Now BMW...

Not many cars appealed to me. I went to BMW to see their current offerings.

3-series reminded me too much of my a4.

5-series looked pretty lame at first, but then i realized I was looking at a 2010 model (meh).
Once i saw the F10, I was stunned... It Instantly became the ONLY choice for me.

The car has a timeless classic beauty about it. Nice lines. Big and brawny, long impressive front end. Cool toys. Yes luxury comes before sport in the looks department, but add the Msport package for visual punch and you have a nice mix.

So, yeah... i guess you can say I like the body design of the F10.