PDA

View Full Version : Increase Battery Discharge

terp77
01-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Been having this problem for over a month. 1st time in they told me to trickle charge the battery and lock the car at night. Did that and a few days later it was back. Brought it in and they tested it for a few days. Confirmed that something was not "going to sleep" and was draining the battery. Kept it for a week, had the regional tech come in and did some software upgrades. They thought they had it fixed but when i picked it up it reared its ugly head again. Waiting to hear back as to the next step.

TJPark01
01-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Bummer. You have a 2011 535i? Please keep us posted.

grant6398
01-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi, I have an E60, but was surfing this forum. I had the same problem on my 550i. On the first visit, they charged up the battery and told me to keep the doors locked and the keys away from the car (I have comfort access). On the second visit, the battery was replaced. At this point, I started using a trickle charger (almost daily) but the problem still existed. On the third visit, the software was upgraded. On the 4th visit, the tech determined that one of the door handle modules for the comfort access was not being picked up by the system. Thus, the car was constantly trying to figure out the status of that particular door; this condiction caused the constant high battery drain. The door handle module was replaced 2 months ago, the the problem appears to have been solved. This is just my 2 cents on my experience. Good luck.

terp77
01-17-2011, 07:42 PM
That is correct.

TJPark01
01-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi, I have an E60, but was surfing this forum. I had the same problem on my 550i. On the first visit, they charged up the battery and told me to keep the doors locked and the keys away from the car (I have comfort access). On the second visit, the battery was replaced. At this point, I started using a trickle charger (almost daily) but the problem still existed. On the third visit, the software was upgraded. On the 4th visit, the tech determined that one of the door handle modules for the comfort access was not being picked up by the system. Thus, the car was constantly trying to figure out the status of that particular door; this condiction caused the constant high battery drain. The door handle module was replaced 2 months ago, the the problem appears to have been solved. This is just my 2 cents on my experience. Good luck.

I am having the door handle replaced because of comfort access problems with locking the door. What are the signs that the battery is being drained?

DarienJim
01-18-2011, 07:57 PM
On the 4th visit, the tech determined that one of the door handle modules for the comfort access was not being picked up by the system. Thus, the car was constantly trying to figure out the status of that particular door; this condiction caused the constant high battery drain. The door handle module was replaced 2 months ago, the the problem appears to have been solved. This is just my 2 cents on my experience. Good luck.

This is a known problem on all BMWs as the key talks to the computer all night and drains the battery. It is suggested you keep the key far away as possible at night.

bfv
01-18-2011, 08:50 PM
This is a known problem on all BMWs as the key talks to the computer all night and drains the battery. It is suggested you keep the key far away as possible at night.
:mad:S*#T!:mad: I park the car in a place where keys are left in the car! That means I will have to change battery everyday!:mad::bawling:

DarienJim
01-18-2011, 08:52 PM
:mad:S*#T!:mad: I park the car in a place where keys are left in the car! That means I will have to change battery everyday!:mad::bawling:

Exact reason I will not take this option next time.

BTW, seems like an easy fix where you 'activate' the key by putting a switch on it. Not sure why BMW has not offered that as a solution.

raleedy
01-18-2011, 10:55 PM
This doesn't make sense to me. There are thousands of BMW's out there with CA that are not exhibiting battery discharge. That can't possibly be the normal state. Moreover, I would think the car, if it were repeatedly sending queries to the keys, would mainly do so when there is no key present, not when it has one in range. At that point, it just needs to wait for the door handle signal. I don't think this diagnosis (the one about constant "talk" as a normal operating condition) is right.

Rafa
01-19-2011, 09:10 AM
You guys are misunderstanding the dealer's explanation. The battery is not discharging because the computer is having an animated conversation with the key fob all night. The reason for the discharge is because the computer kept trying to communicate with a defective sensor. Read the quote below:

Originally Posted by grant6398
On the 4th visit, the tech determined that one of the door handle modules for the comfort access was not being picked up by the system. Thus, the car was constantly trying to figure out the status of that particular door; this condiction caused the constant high battery drain. The door handle module was replaced 2 months ago, the the problem appears to have been solved. This is just my 2 cents on my experience. Good luck.