PDA

View Full Version : IPOD not connected statement on display

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-17-2011, 01:59 PM
I have had my new F10 since October 23, 2010. There have been about 3 or 4 occasions when my vehicle's display has indicated that my IPOD was not connected, when in fact it was connected. Upon further inspection, it appears that the reason for this was because my IPOD completely lost its charge. According to the manual, however, the F10 provides power to the IPOD. Does anyone have any idea why my IPOD is losing its charge? Could it be that the IPOD keeps playing after the vehicle is shut off?

Erregend
01-17-2011, 03:18 PM
[quote=CRMESQ;5778437}Does anyone have any idea why my IPOD is losing its charge? Could it be that the IPOD keeps playing after the vehicle is shut off?[/quote]

Which iPod and version of iPod do you have? Check Apple web site to get model/version.

Apple changed the charging pin back a while ago, so some older iPods will not charge on USB connection. Can you charge yours via USB on a computer?

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-17-2011, 03:26 PM
I have an iPod classic, which is around four years old, and the software is up to date. It does charge with the USB connection on both the computer and the F10, but, as I said above, sometimes it has been losing its charge while connected to the F10.

beashonda
01-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Is it the square Ipod you have attached? I have had the same issue with the connector saying it's not connected. Actually it was the ipod freezing up and I had to do a hard restart of the iPod and then it worked just fine. It's happened to me 2x in the near month I have had the car. There is a button on bottom that you can get to have the ipod stay on or power off. I leave mine powered on since it recharges while driving and won't lose the charge overnight. I never had this issue, I think except once in the E60.

GHOST PROTOCOL
02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
The plot thickens. I continued to experience on a periodic basis the failure of the F10 to keep my Ipod charged. Then something new happened, i.e., my Ipod ceased functioning and I was left with a glowing grey screen. I took the Ipod into the house and plugged it into my computer. Itunes indicated that the Ipod had to be restored. Basically, the Ipod's memory was wiped clean, the most recent version of the Ipod software was installed, and then the music was downloaded back onto the Ipod. It should be interesting to see if things work better now that the restoration process was performed.

andiana64
02-17-2011, 07:59 AM
I've had my 2011 528i for 2 weeks now. Had to reset my iPod twice. While connected, the BMW system just drops the iPod and reports that it is not connected. The 1st time this happened, the only way I could get the iPod to turn on was to hook it up to my computer after which iTunes advised that it needed to wipe-out the iPod & install updated software. My iPod is a 160GB Classic (about 3 years old). After the software was updated, I had to completely reload the iPod with my music (it took me hours because I can't sync, I have 80,000 plus songs and iPod will only fit about 25,000 songs). Worked fine for about 5 days, then I received the "disconnected" message again. This time, I did not need to reinstall software, I was able to simply reset the iPod holding down the menu & center buttons on the click wheel. After resetting, I checked to see the iPod power to see if that was the reason for the disconnect. However, the power was fine. I leave the unit in my car, connected at all times. I assume that it was meant to be left connected. Previously (for years), I used the iPod in my 530i with an aftermarket interface...never had any problems. Current issues must be a result of a BMW software interface problem. Will keep all posted on future status.

Jose Torres-LL
10-07-2011, 06:14 AM
Hello Andiana, thank you very much for your information. Any news since then ?
Best regards

Leslierc
10-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Usually, in cases such as this, synching the iPod to your computer and restoring original settings solves the problem.

GunsBMW
10-07-2011, 08:50 AM
I also have the same problem with my classic. Where it wouldnt hold the charge or it had to be rebooted. I just said screw it and now I use my my old 3gs iphone as an ipod and I had no problems since. So I think the F10s and Ipod classics just dont like each other. I guess

supra88
10-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Apple has designed a hibernation or sleep mode into the iPod to preserve the battery when it's not being used, for some reason the ipod interface works from behind the ipod buttons so most likely you are not touching the click wheel,the sleep mode kicks in at somewhere around fourteen hours of inactivity, causing the screen to go blank. Unfortunately, the iPod takes a while to wake up again, or to start the initialization routine before the iPod is ready. Some people have had luck setting recurring alarms at twelve hour intervals which supposedly keep the iPod from entering sleep mode, try maybe it helps
this is the case on ipods mini, ipod photo ipod nano ipod video and classic

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-10-2011, 04:11 AM
I am now using an iPod touch rather than an iPod classic. The change in equipment has solved the problem. I have not experienced any problems with the iPod touch.

andiana64
10-12-2011, 08:44 AM
It seems that on the IPod Classic, the power will drain if NOT disconnected. My solution is to unplug the IPod at night if I do not expect to be using my car the next day. Not a great solution, but it works for me.

copello
10-20-2011, 04:47 AM
Well my ipod classic 80Gb is now totally non functionnal on my BMW: it says its connected, but no sound comes up;
I did an itunes reinstall + reboot which worked correctly.
The ipod functions well outside of my BMW.
I wonder if any subtle programming on ipod settings could cure it...
Any ideas ?

copello
10-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Just an update after several days of trying and guessing....my Ipod classic 80gb works great with the USB/AUX Y cable. I guess old classic iPod do not work just with USB cable.....:dunno:

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-29-2011, 10:55 AM
My iPod classic would randomly fail to stay charged or freeze up, which would require a "restore." I solved the problem by purchasing an iPod touch, which has has no problems.

JT 550i SD
10-29-2011, 02:26 PM
I use a iPod classic too , does this same thing periodically. Each time I reset the iPod, and find that The repeat all setting has been engaged, weird....I did not turn it on. Once I turn it off, no problem, but when it freezes, or won't play, I find this setting is turned on again.