PDA

View Full Version : Extended black panel coming to USA !

bfv
01-17-2011, 08:14 PM
I just configured a 5 series on bmwusa and the display changed appearance after adding HUD. See the pics.

Those who ordered HUD should consider delaying the production of their car to week 9 (March 2011) to get this beautiful :p new display.

Without HUD_________________ With HUD

mhrir
01-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Hopefully this doesn't mean we have to order HUD to get the new display.

Same display as the 5GT.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4491&pictureid=17759

bfv
01-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Hopefully this doesn't mean we have to order HUD to get the new display.

That is what it means :cry: YES. you have to order HUD ($1300) to get this display.:dunno:

SANguru
01-17-2011, 08:34 PM
I don't understand what the big deal is. Why wait a couple months more to enjoy a car because of some extended display? With the HUD I rarely look down...

JoeRoadster
01-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Cause it's sweet?

nosnoop
01-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Same display as the 5GT.

Actually, from your second picture, it does not look like the 5GT display.
It does not seem to have the blacked out numbers on the dials. If it did, the numbers should be illuminated like the TFT screen.

Kar Don
01-17-2011, 10:00 PM
damn good eye, i dont like the HUD so I'd be paying 1300 bucks for the extended contents... don't think it's worth it altho it does look sweet.

bfv
01-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Ideally, extended panel should be a part of regular order. Because, if you have HUD, what's the need to look at the extended panel?:dunno:

Titanflux
01-18-2011, 12:29 PM
I can confirm that for the UK market at least, full black panel is only available as part of the 610 HUD option, from build week 9 (1st March).

Im told by the dealer that it isn't the same black panel design as the F07, as the numbers on the dials are apparently not invisible when off. It just means the TFT covers all the main instrument lamp areas, instead of just part of the bottom of it.

mhrir
01-18-2011, 12:45 PM
It does not seem to have the blacked out numbers on the dials. If it did, the numbers should be illuminated like the TFT screen.

Do you mean the kmh numbers inside the mph markings? That is just a market requirement for North America vs. EU and other markets. The picture I attached is the EU display. The inner numbers are just not printed on the dial since they don't use mph.

Other than that irrelevant difference, the displays appear to be identical.

mw5
01-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Doesn't the illumination of the numbers (white vs. orange) depend on wheter you have the lights on or off?

See the following clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj7ajkPFNKw

dunderhi
01-18-2011, 12:52 PM
My CA forwarded a reply from BMW NA about chainging build weeks. The earliest delivery date they will reschedule me for a Week 9 build is March 14th. I'm staying with my March 4th ED, so my car will remain a Week 8 build. Oh well. :(

nosnoop
01-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Other than that irrelevant difference, the displays appear to be identical.
Doesn't the illumination of the numbers (white vs. orange) depend on wheter you have the lights on or off?

For GT dash, the numbers on the dials are brightly illuminated white in the day, and softly illuminated orange at night. If you check the F10 HUD pictures, the numbers on the dials do not look the same as the numbers on the TFT screen at the bottom - while in GT, they should look the same, especially the brightness and whiteness.

mhrir
01-18-2011, 01:43 PM
For GT dash, the numbers on the dials are brightly illuminated white in the day, and softly illuminated orange at night. If you check the F10 HUD pictures, the numbers on the dials do not look the same as the numbers on the TFT screen at the bottom - while in GT, they should look the same, especially the brightness and whiteness.

I agree they do not look the same but... we are looking at a computer graphic not an acutal picture.

pcbrew
01-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Is HUD worth having without NAV?
Does it just show speed, mpg, etc.

DarienJim
01-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Is HUD worth having without NAV?
Does it just show speed, mpg, etc.

No is my opinion.

DarienJim
01-22-2011, 08:34 AM
I just configured a 5 series on bmwusa and the display changed appearance after adding HUD. See the pics.

Those who ordered HUD should consider delaying the production of their car to week 9 (March 2011) to get this beautiful :p new display.

Without HUD_________________ With HUD

Ok help me out. Perhaps my eyes are bad but what is the difference in these two thumbnail pictures???

quackbury
01-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Ok help me out. Perhaps my eyes are bad but what is the difference in these two thumbnail pictures???

$1,300. D'oh!

nosnoop
01-23-2011, 08:52 PM

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9990/blackpaneldifference.jpg

EvolutionTheory
01-24-2011, 12:09 AM
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9990/blackpaneldifference.jpg

Perfect! Thanks!

DarienJim
01-24-2011, 04:43 AM
Perfect! Thanks!

+! Thanks!

Rafa
01-24-2011, 05:16 AM
+! Thanks!

+2. NOW I know what an extended display really is. Thanks.

soledoc
01-24-2011, 08:22 AM
this seems like a very minor cosmetic thing. I certainly wouldn't pay for this.

B-1 Pilot
01-24-2011, 08:44 AM
I dont know, I think its another human-factors engineering success... by putting a lot more of the idrive screen info right in front of you, your cross check of speed and other indications will take less time from the road, and will keep your head angle in-line with oncoming traffic.

Trust me, its much easier to look down and back up for information than to look left and right. I really like how they use the space of the efficient dynamics for other function when needed.

One of the things the S550 had that I hadn't seen in BMW was the extended LCD backpanel. I am glad BMW is catching up and innovating on this.

nosnoop
01-24-2011, 09:25 AM
this seems like a very minor cosmetic thing. I certainly wouldn't pay for this.

It is not just a cosmetic thing. The extra real estate of the wide TFT screen makes a significant difference in the amount of information which can be displayed. Right now, most info is cramped into the central display area, and one type of info overrides the others. With the larger screen and without the rings in the way, more navigation info can be displayed and in larger graphics; and more info can be displayed simultaneously.

JoeRoadster
01-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Has it been confirmed that the extended black panel display is available in the US with the March builds?

Titanflux
01-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Has it been confirmed that the extended black panel display is available in the US with the March builds?

No it hasn't as far as I know, only UK spec from week 9.

bfv
01-28-2011, 09:24 AM

If you use bmwusa.com's car configurator and add HUD, the display panel will change its appearance. Don't know anything more than that. God knows when they will start putting them

FCBayernFTW
01-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Anyone know if this is applies to the X6 too?! Thanks!

Sent from my BMW Approved© HTC Desire using BimmerApp

bruno787
01-28-2011, 01:47 PM
my F02 7series has this extended black panel display as standard and i dont see it as a must-have option since it still functions just like any analog instrument cluster...nothing extraordinary.

vortexx
01-29-2011, 07:51 AM
my F02 7series has this extended black panel display as standard and i dont see it as a must-have option since it still functions just like any analog instrument cluster...nothing extraordinary.

Drive an F10 for an hour or so at night, then get back in your car and you might change your mind. It is not just about extra features. The "new" extended black panel addresses a couple of design flaws in the current offering. If I didn't already have my car, I personally would wait for the new panel. The things that bother me might be totally irrelevant to others, however.

This related thread has additional comments by a number of owners:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511489

moviebumm
01-29-2011, 08:31 AM
I prefer the old display with the full solid silver rings.

jpointe
01-29-2011, 11:49 AM
To provide comfort to those with pre-March builds, it's likely that if the opposite case were true, that is, if the switch from September to March was to change from an "extended" to "compact" display, there's a good chance that a handful of members would be clamoring to get the "compact" version with solid rings and delay orders for that reason as well. :D

JoeRoadster
01-29-2011, 12:30 PM
To provide comfort to those with pre-March builds, it's likely that if the opposite case were true, that is, if the switch from September to March was to change from an "extended" to "compact" display, there's a good chance that a handful of members would be clamoring to get the "compact" version with solid rings and delay orders for that reason as well. :D

Probably true.

In my case, it's more of a matter of fit and finish detail.

What bugs me about the current panel is that:

a) at night the background of the LCD is a different shade of black than the non-display backing.
b) things seem crammed in the LCD

These are subtle details, that don't bother most people, but they tend to bug me.

When paying $70k for a car, I want perfection (I know there is no such thing, but it doesn't stop me from wanting it).

Knowing the extended black panel is coming, within reach, it amplifies details like this, and makes me stop and pause. It might be worth it to me to wait a bit longer, and make this a non-issue.

Plus, other features are at play here:
- full color HUD
- improved iPhone integration