PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cap cover

BimmerUKF10
01-18-2011, 05:27 AM
I went to fill up my 535d this morning and could not get the nossle in the filler. There seems to be an aluminium shutter that stops you putting the nossle in, presumably to protect against accidentially filling with the wrong fuel. I had to turn the ignition on then off again and eventually managed to get the nossle in the car, although it seemed to struggle. Just wondering if it's the car to blame or something up with the nossle at the fuel station not being detected as the correct grade for some reason. Has anyone else come across this before?

Titanflux
01-18-2011, 03:25 PM
I went to fill up my 535d this morning and could not get the nossle in the filler. There seems to be an aluminium shutter that stops you putting the nossle in, presumably to protect against accidentially filling with the wrong fuel. I had to turn the ignition on then off again and eventually managed to get the nossle in the car, although it seemed to struggle. Just wondering if it's the car to blame or something up with the nossle at the fuel station not being detected as the correct grade for some reason. Has anyone else come across this before?

I've heard about some nozzles not being the right spec and so the BMW mis-fuelling prevention filler thinks it's an unleaded nozzle. Some say it's where an HGV derv nozzle has been fitted to a standard pump or the tolerances of the nozzle are borderline acceptable. It sounds like that's what you've experienced, and just using another pump should do it.

mujjuman
01-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah the diesel nozzles are a different size

BimmerUKF10
01-18-2011, 04:01 PM
I'll see what happens when I next go for fuel. Pretty impressive that it can prevent you putting the wrong nozzle in though! Shame it was the correct one :-)

Wonder how it works?

markl53
01-18-2011, 08:49 PM
I'll see what happens when I next go for fuel. Pretty impressive that it can prevent you putting the wrong nozzle in though! Shame it was the correct one :-)

Wonder how it works?

I have to check mine, I don't think I've noticed a "flap" in the filler tube. AFAIK, and this has been the case for years, unleaded gas nozzles are thinner diameter than leaded. The fill tube in your car is simply too small in diameter to accept a leaded nozzle. Not sure about diesel. I would think a flap on the tube is just there to prevent foreign objects from falling in, not specifically related to keeping the wrong nozzle out. OK, some double entendres are no doubt on the way.

listerone
01-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Here in the States many...but not all...diesel fuel nozzles fit perfectly into BMW's filler "ports".This doesn't apply to nozzles meant for trucks but the plastic adapter in the trunk addresses that problem.One would think that,given the popularity of diesel in Europe,mis-sized nozzles wouldn't be an issue. :dunno:

BimmerUKF10
01-19-2011, 01:23 AM
I have to check mine, I don't think I've noticed a "flap" in the filler tube. AFAIK, and this has been the case for years, unleaded gas nozzles are thinner diameter than leaded. The fill tube in your car is simply too small in diameter to accept a leaded nozzle. Not sure about diesel. I would think a flap on the tube is just there to prevent foreign objects from falling in, not specifically related to keeping the wrong nozzle out. OK, some double entendres are no doubt on the way.

The flap I'm referring to is immediately obvious when you remove the fuel cap. Looks like it's made from aluminium. I'll try and take a photo.

BimmerUKF10
01-19-2011, 03:15 AM
The flap I'm referring to is immediately obvious when you remove the fuel cap. Looks like it's made from aluminium. I'll try and take a photo.

...and here is the photo. Apologies for the res - taken with my iPhone. The shiney bit that is blocking the hole is what I'm talking about. Not been able to try with a different pump yet.

Titanflux
01-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Wonder how it works?

IFPS works by preventing the fuel filler nozzle of a petrol pump from entering the fuel tank neck of a diesel-powered car. The larger diameter diesel nozzle is able to touch two opposing contact patches that then releases the locking system. This allows the nozzle to engage. A petrol pump nozzle cannot make the same connection and this access is blocked with the flap.

The Incorrect Fuelling Protection System is also designed for fuelling under exceptional circumstances, when the diesel-powered model may have to be fuelled from a spare can. Narrow recesses on the outer walls of the filler neck allow the introduction of smaller amounts of fuel. Using a container for re-fuelling requires extra care, which serves to remind the driver of ensuring that they use the right type of fuel.

AzNMpower32
01-19-2011, 02:06 PM
...and here is the photo. Apologies for the res - taken with my iPhone. The shiney bit that is blocking the hole is what I'm talking about. Not been able to try with a different pump yet.
It prevents you from accidentally filling up with petrol, because diesel and petrol pumps have different size nozzles. The misfuelling restrictor is only found on diesel cars

I don't know about the UK, but sometimes lazy station owners will use a petrol nozzle for a diesel pump.

BimmerUKF10
01-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Fascinating info guys! Now I know how it works, I'll have a play. Wonder if the sensors work off induction or acually make an electrical connection when the filler goes in.

Thanks!

AzNMpower32
01-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Fascinating info guys! Now I know how it works, I'll have a play. Wonder if the sensors work off induction or acually make an electrical connection when the filler goes in.

Thanks!
No electronics. It's a purely mechanical action- I tried to observe it on my pop's X5 35d and somehow, inserting a proper diesel nozzle will make the restrictor slide upwards. Perhaps a button of some sort along the edges?

Titanflux
01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Yep, purely mechanical as far as I'm aware. You wouldn't want any electrical contacts in a fuel filler in general.

markl53
01-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Yep, purely mechanical as far as I'm aware. You wouldn't want any electrical contacts in a fuel filler in general.

+1. :eek::yikes::confused:

markl53
01-19-2011, 08:27 PM

OK, interesting. I just looked at mine and the flap is different. I didn't have time tonight to take a picture. Looks like yours goes across like a barrier. Mine covers the whole opening and pivots from the top, I can push it aside (inward) with my finger. Based on the later reports to your thread, it seems the European cars have your type that actually does prevent the insertion of the wrong fuel type nozzle. The US flap just seems like a kind of "dust cap" of sorts.

AzNMpower32
01-19-2011, 09:18 PM
OK, interesting. I just looked at mine and the flap is different. I didn't have time tonight to take a picture. Looks like yours goes across like a barrier. Mine covers the whole opening and pivots from the top, I can push it aside (inward) with my finger. Based on the later reports to your thread, it seems the European cars have your type that actually does prevent the insertion of the wrong fuel type nozzle. The US flap just seems like a kind of "dust cap" of sorts.
OP has a diesel. If you see a US-spec 335d or X5 3.0si, you'll see it too.

BimmerUKF10
01-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Just refueled today at Shell and had no problems. Must have been a faulty nozzle after all.