PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Parent

wjgolding
01-18-2011, 07:02 AM
I just got my new F10 535i, fully equipped, and I am in love. So much so, that I have decided on some ground rules for the vehicle:

- No Food
- No Drinks
- No Kids (Under 18)
- No Pets

I'm married with no kids (with a dog/cat) currently, so this isn't terribly hard to enforce. I just wanted to know, am I being a little overprotective here? It is just a car, right? Nah, who am I kidding? It's my brand new BMW and I love it! :thumbup:

Anyway, wanted to hear others' stories of 'rules' that you have around your BMWs, and what you all have done to keep your car looking good.

-BJ

kocsis
01-18-2011, 07:31 AM
When I had my prior Bimmer (M5), I had small kids, wife and dogs. I allowed all of the above (food, drinks, kids, pets), and just cleaned up afterwards. Car stayed in very nice shape nonetheless. However, I did have one rule: no driving by wife!

Now that my kids are older (16, 18), and my F10 is automatic, my only rule is no driving by kids!

Patrick
01-18-2011, 07:35 AM
I would say :thumbup: to all of the rules, aside from no kids. However, in your case, that is probably the easiest "rule" to enforce. :D

laser
01-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Be careful, this type of thinking could lead you to park in the most far away space at the H-E-B.

Even across two spaces leading to malicious keying. :(

These cars are tough. I'm just rehabbing the button controls on my daughter's 2002 330i after she exploded a cream soda into the dash.:rofl:

Carried little league baseball kids in my 740 with beige interior - matched the infield clay pretty well. :)

highyo
01-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Be careful, this type of thinking could lead you to park in the most far away space at the H-E-B.

These cars are tough. I'm just rehabbing the button controls on my daughter's 2002 330i after she exploded a cream soda into the dash.:rofl:

Carried little league baseball kids in my 740 with beige interior - matched the infield clay pretty well. :)

go to bavarian autosports and buy this

Available in Charcoal, Khaki, and Navy Blue.
Protect your BMW's seats against dirt, water, dog hair and sharp nails. This heavy-duty pet pad features a rugged 420 denier polyester surface backed by waterproof PVC. The quilting is high-loft, insulating Dupont Hollofil for maximum pet comfort. And the backing is 210 denier rip-stop nylon. Easy to clean- simply hose off and hang to dry. NOTE: Rear seat protectors work best on BMW's with rear headrests.

Available in Charcoal, Khaki, and Navy.

jmr99vet
01-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Had 4 Corvettes from 1994 thru 2006. Only put 3-5k miles on each. The cars were
1. Never in the rain
2. wipers were NEVER used including washer fluid
3. were not driven in the winter when the roads had salt
Now, I have come to my senses. I did not get a premium on any of the cars due to the above. My 7 and 9 year old grand kids ride in the new 535. They only thing that I do is to place a bath towel over the back of the drivers seat to protect the Oyster Nappa from the 7 year old. I found out that the wippers and washer fluid work. Am enjoying this car with all of the features without restrictions. The car will be detailed twice a year.

Needsdecaf
01-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Had 4 Corvettes from 1994 thru 2006. Only put 3-5k miles on each. The cars were
1. Never in the rain
2. wipers were NEVER used including washer fluid
3. were not driven in the winter when the roads had salt
Now, I have come to my senses. I did not get a premium on any of the cars due to the above. My 7 and 9 year old grand kids ride in the new 535. They only thing that I do is to place a bath towel over the back of the drivers seat to protect the Oyster Nappa from the 7 year old. I found out that the wippers and washer fluid work. Am enjoying this car with all of the features without restrictions. The car will be detailed twice a year.

Yeah, none of the return and you didn't get to enjoy your cars!

In all, most cars aren't going to become collectors. They're made to be used (not abused) and enjoyed!

Having said that....I'm not looking foward to the back of an Oyster seat plus a 4 year old...and his sister to soon follow. I have a seat protector in my MDX for the rear of the front seat, but it looks horrible. Any suggestions for something halfway decent?

ksoze
01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
I used to secretly wish for my first minor scratch or blemish on a new car so I could get over the urge to constantly worry. I knew they would eventually get there no matter how far away i parked or guarded over the car. As I look back, taking care of the cars was fun, but if it creates too many rules or hampers the enjoyment of owning a car, it is not worth it, certainly not on resale in most cases.

Looking back, if I had kept my kids out of my cars, I would missed valuable time with them in a car long gone.

jmr99vet
01-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Yeah, none of the return and you didn't get to enjoy your cars!

In all, most cars aren't going to become collectors. They're made to be used (not abused) and enjoyed!

Having said that....I'm not looking foward to the back of an Oyster seat plus a 4 year old...and his sister to soon follow. I have a seat protector in my MDX for the rear of the front seat, but it looks horrible. Any suggestions for something halfway decent?

I purchased a large bath towel in a color similar to Oyster. Folded down one end about 10 inches. Put a safety pin on each side. It on slips over the head rest of the drivers seat. So far so good. I also purchased a lightweight blanket in a color similar to Oyster. It covers the back seat when we have suitcases that do not fit in the trunk.

wjgolding
01-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Ha!

I've already caught the parking paranoia. Now on to bird repellent!:)

SANguru
01-18-2011, 04:02 PM
funny thread..

the 550i is my daily driver and I think you guys are going way overboard. My 2 year old likes to kick the back seat but I wipe off the shoe prints once a week. We don't really eat in the car except on long trips in which case we usually take my wife's X5. Even my Ferrari gets driven in the rain once in awhile. Just clean up regularly and the car will be just like new.

to the guy with the vette - enjoy it! it's meant to be driven and not garage queened and regardless of what you do, it's going to depreciate like a rock anyway. 08 pristine conditioned Z06's are in the low 40's. Even my Ferrari purchased in late 06 has 26K miles!

beashonda
01-18-2011, 04:25 PM
I just got my new F10 535i, fully equipped, and I am in love. So much so, that I have decided on some ground rules for the vehicle:

- No Food
- No Drinks
- No Kids (Under 18)
- No Pets

I'm married with no kids (with a dog/cat) currently, so this isn't terribly hard to enforce. I just wanted to know, am I being a little overprotective here? It is just a car, right? Nah, who am I kidding? It's my brand new BMW and I love it! :thumbup:

Anyway, wanted to hear others' stories of 'rules' that you have around your BMWs, and what you all have done to keep your car looking good.

-BJ

Love it. I won't even let 5 people ride in my car because it means someone will have their feet on the hump, which is a no no.:thumbup:

jmr99vet
01-18-2011, 04:37 PM
funny thread..

the 550i is my daily driver and I think you guys are going way overboard. My 2 year old likes to kick the back seat but I wipe off the shoe prints once a week. We don't really eat in the car except on long trips in which case we usually take my wife's X5. Even my Ferrari gets driven in the rain once in awhile. Just clean up regularly and the car will be just like new.

to the guy with the vette - enjoy it! it's meant to be driven and not garage queened and regardless of what you do, it's going to depreciate like a rock anyway. 08 pristine conditioned Z06's are in the low 40's. Even my Ferrari purchased in late 06 has 26K miles!
SOLD the vette last year. I figured out that it cost me $14 per mile to drive in 08. Depreciated $6000 that year. Had fun with them now on to a new challenge.

Ronsell
01-18-2011, 05:17 PM

- No Food
- No Drinks
- No Kids (Under 18)
- No Pets

-BJ

I just keep my Bimmer (with the doors locked) in the living room. Makes a great conversation
piece. And the trunk comes in handy for storing wine glasses, etc. :D

wjgolding
01-19-2011, 10:44 PM
I just keep my Bimmer (with the doors locked) in the living room. Makes a great conversation
piece. And the trunk comes in handy for storing wine glasses, etc. :D

ROFL :rofl:

Hilarious! I almost fell out of my seat laughing :P

It's funny because I'm close to that than, you know, off-roading in my 5.

-BJ

Kandiru
01-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Coming from Europe the no eating or drinking in car culture is very widespread, all we need is more 6MT rear-biased AWD cars this side of the pond.

Rafa
01-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Coming from Europe the no eating or drinking in car culture is very widespread, all we need is more 6MT rear-biased AWD cars this side of the pond.

We should learn something from the Europeans. No food/drinks, and slower traffic on the right lanes.

B-1 Pilot
01-20-2011, 05:52 PM
We should learn something from the Europeans. No food/drinks, and slower traffic on the right lanes.

The reason they dont eat or drink in their car is that they usually dont go anywhere long distance in their cars.

I only attach the cupholder to my motorcycle if Im going to ride 400 miles in a day:thumbup:

They drive 6MTs because they are cheaper, not because they are better in performance. But they do require more skill and attention!

Sadly, the two items above have negative effects on US citizens in that we often dont pay attention while driving. I wish I knew what we could do to motivate our slower drivers to get over.

As for my crazy rules... I dont let anyone get in our BMW car without a pocket check (one scratched /torn seat will teach you this one). My wife makes me drive when we go somewhere, mainly because she doesnt want to hear my critiques of her parking slot selection or parking execution.

SANguru
01-20-2011, 05:56 PM

+1 - except for the Swiss.

Rafa
01-20-2011, 07:57 PM
B-1 Pilot, you are excused from the no-drinks rule. I understand that your typical mission is many hours long. No wonder why anything less than 400 miles riding your bike seems like a short trip to you.

By the way, I didn't know some bikes have a cupholder. I'm flabbergasted!

ProRail
01-20-2011, 09:06 PM

- No Food
- No Drinks
- No Kids (Under 18)
- No Pets

-BJ

Bimmers will take almost any abuse exceot pouring liquid in the console. If you're worried put a plastic cover over it. Enjoy your car and share it with others.

Rafa
01-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Bimmers will take almost any abuse exceot pouring liquid in the console. If you're worried put a plastic cover over it. Enjoy your car and share it with others.

Fine leather is not to be covered in plastic, IMO.

Sherman B
01-21-2011, 11:42 AM

- No Food
- No Drinks
- No Kids (Under 18)
- No Pets

-BJ
I share your pain.

ihumphrey
01-21-2011, 12:27 PM

I think he meant the drink?:dunno:

Needsdecaf
01-21-2011, 12:56 PM

Tell that to an Italian grandmother.

(I'm Italian, no flaming).
:rofl:

Rafa
01-21-2011, 01:28 PM
I think he meant the drink?:dunno:

Yeah, you're right. In rereading the post I now think he means the drink. My mistake.

FPNY
01-21-2011, 03:27 PM
i take my golden retriever for rides in my car all the time. he's my bud, my car is just a car. besides, the car can be vacuumed and cleaned.

5Xwen
01-22-2011, 01:30 PM
- No Food
- No Drinks
- No Kids (Under 18)
- No Pets

-BJ

I broke every one of those rules on my 535xi the day I drove it home.:D

It's a car - not a museum piece.

Seiously, what are you worried about? If it gets dirty you get it cleaned.

Rafa
01-23-2011, 07:39 AM
I broke every one of those rules on my 535xi the day I drove it home.:D

It's a car - not a museum piece.

Seiously, what are you worried about? If it gets dirty you get it cleaned.

Some of us want to keep the car for many years. It is the wear and tear that we are concerned about, not some normal dirt. I want to maintain the car in pristine condition because I do not want it to look old, soiled, stained or scuffed prematurely.

It is an individual choice we make.

5Xwen
01-23-2011, 10:15 AM
It is an individual choice we make.

Totally agree.

During the 2.5 years I had the car I also choose to drive it through plenty of automatic car washes, tied Christmas trees to the roof, let valets park the car, taught my 16 year old son how to drive, munched on popcorn at the drive-in movies, put skis and boots in the car on the way to Vermont, packed it with supplies from Lowes and Home Depot, and even drove it to church on Easter Sunday.:D

UltimateDriving
01-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Hahaha, love these stories.

For me, coming from 2 bimmers, i've always been kinda picky when people get on board

- No Drinks, they leave all the things sticky & stinky :p
- Everyone is allowed inside as long as they don't play wrestling in the backseats or are very dirty :)
- Food is allowed but no eating ;) (Specially greasy things)

That's pretty much all, i vacuum the car like once every 1 or 2 weeks depending on time.
And wash it once a week :D

Rafa
01-24-2011, 05:55 AM
Totally agree.

During the 2.5 years I had the car I also choose to drive it through plenty of automatic car washes, tied Christmas trees to the roof, let valets park the car, taught my 16 year old son how to drive, munched on popcorn at the drive-in movies, put skis and boots in the car on the way to Vermont, packed it with supplies from Lowes and Home Depot, and even drove it to church on Easter Sunday.:D

You're lucky to have a car that you can use in an utilitarian manner. For me, my F10 is my luxury car, and although I don't baby it to extremes, I try to be careful not to do any permanent damage to it.