PDA

View Full Version : 550ix M Sport arrived!

5fix
01-18-2011, 05:16 PM
My 550ix M sport was delivered to the dealership today and is being prepped for delivery tomorrow. Can't wait! Dark graphite, black dakota, convenience, premium, HUD, cold weather, sport auto. I ordered perfomance grills and a carbon fiber spoiler. I stopped by the dealer to look at it. I was going to paint the spolier, but decided not to after setting it on car to see what it looks like. I liked the look of the black spoiler with the black rear valence and exhaust, shadow line trim, and performance grills. I was worried that the carbon fiber spoiler was too big compared to pictures I have seen of the smaller factory M sport spoiler in Europe. Not at all. It looks about the same as the M sport spoiler I added to my E60, maybe a little bigger. I think it looks great.

Tires are 245/40/19 all around. Some posts from 550ix M sport owners in Europe say that rears are 275/35/19 there, like on 550i, but not on mine. Tires are Goodyear Eagle LS-2. But not for long. I intend to swap them out with non RFTs this spring when I take my winter tires off. In the meantime, I am taking my winter rims off of my E60 550i and adding 245/45/18 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 non RFTs that I ordered today for the 2011. (Mason at Tire Rack was great.) My winter tires now are Dunlop Winter Sport 3D, 245/40/18, great tire, but too small.

I ordered a BMW mobility kit, only about a $150. I switched from RFTs on my E60 shortly after buying it in 2006 after replacing several Bridgestone RFTs and rims. I have not had any problems at all with non RFTs. The ride is so much improved, I am willing to trade a little off ramp/on ramp cornering.

I will take a bunch of photos in the dealership's "white room" it uses for photos on it's website with the performance grills, spoliers and factory wheels. I will also take a few with 18 inch winters to show what they look like (not as good, I am sure).

Final note, I started the car and was surprised at the exhaust note, much deeper and rumbling than I expected based on all the posts I have read. Much deeper than my E60 550i. Nonetheless, can't stand the Lexus trapezoid exhaust tips. Will get Supersprint exhaust ordered this week.

More later.

blackmars
01-18-2011, 09:42 PM
My 550ix M sport was delivered to the dealership today and is being prepped for delivery tomorrow. Can't wait! Dark graphite, black dakota, convenience, premium, HUD, cold weather, sport auto. I ordered perfomance grills and a carbon fiber spoiler. I stopped by the dealer to look at it. I was going to paint the spolier, but decided not to after setting it on car to see what it looks like. I liked the look of the black spoiler with the black rear valence and exhaust, shadow line trim, and performance grills. I was worried that the carbon fiber spoiler was too big compared to pictures I have seen of the smaller factory M sport spoiler in Europe. Not at all. It looks about the same as the M sport spoiler I added to my E60, maybe a little bigger. I think it looks great.

Tires are 245/40/19 all around. Some posts from 550ix M sport owners in Europe say that rears are 275/35/19 there, like on 550i, but not on mine. Tires are Goodyear Eagle LS-2. But not for long. I intend to swap them out with non RFTs this spring when I take my winter tires off. In the meantime, I am taking my winter rims off of my E60 550i and adding 245/45/18 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 non RFTs that I ordered today for the 2011. (Mason at Tire Rack was great.) My winter tires now are Dunlop Winter Sport 3D, 245/40/18, great tire, but too small.

I ordered a BMW mobility kit, only about a $150. I switched from RFTs on my E60 shortly after buying it in 2006 after replacing several Bridgestone RFTs and rims. I have not had any problems at all with non RFTs. The ride is so much improved, I am willing to trade a little off ramp/on ramp cornering.

I will take a bunch of photos in the dealership's "white room" it uses for photos on it's website with the performance grills, spoliers and factory wheels. I will also take a few with 18 inch winters to show what they look like (not as good, I am sure).

Final note, I started the car and was surprised at the exhaust note, much deeper and rumbling than I expected based on all the posts I have read. Much deeper than my E60 550i. Nonetheless, can't stand the Lexus trapezoid exhaust tips. Will get Supersprint exhaust ordered this week.

More later.

Looking forward to your pictures.

Yeah, i don't like the exhaust tips either on F10, they look so gay...

dunderhi
01-19-2011, 05:51 AM
Congrats! :thumbup:

While you have the OEM wheels/tires off the car, may I ask that you weigh them for me. My car is on order and I'm looking at what mods that I would like to make. The stock Style 351M look light, but they may not actually be light. Thanks.

Rafa
01-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Congrats! We'll be waiting for the pics.

Needsdecaf
01-19-2011, 10:27 AM
, they look so gay...

Uh, sure. :rolleyes:

kocsis
01-19-2011, 10:48 AM
According to my son, who is an expert in state-of-the-art lingo, "gay" means "lame" and has no sexual connotation. Yes, I know, the politically correct will object - though the word gay had an entirely different meaning until a couple of decades ago.:)

highyo
01-19-2011, 11:38 AM
According to my son, who is an expert in state-of-the-art lingo, "gay" means "lame" and has no sexual connotation. Yes, I know, the politically correct will object - though the word gay had an entirely different meaning until a couple of decades ago.:)

gay means gay, a derogatory term for homosexual... any argument to the contrary is stupd. things dont change

Four by Six
01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I can't wait for the pictures! This is the exact same configuration I am close to pulling the trigger on, and I was wondering what the perf gills would look like on dark graphite.

Not to hijack the thread, but is there any reason the 275/35/19 couldn't be put on the back? How about on front too! (if there's room). I'm not sure why the xdrives have non-staggered rims.

Speedlogix
01-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Look forward to the pics!! Congrats. :)

5fix
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Congrats! :thumbup:

While you have the OEM wheels/tires off the car, may I ask that you weigh them for me. My car is on order and I'm looking at what mods that I would like to make. The stock Style 351M look light, but they may not actually be light. Thanks.

Yes. If the dealership doesn't have one, I will bring a scale. It will be the weight of the wheel and tire together. I don't intend to replace the factory RFTs until April, (plan on Pilot Sport PS2 nonRFTs), so for now just stroring the tires on rims.

5fix
01-19-2011, 05:29 PM
I can't wait for the pictures! This is the exact same configuration I am close to pulling the trigger on, and I was wondering what the perf gills would look like on dark graphite.

Not to hijack the thread, but is there any reason the 275/35/19 couldn't be put on the back? How about on front too! (if there's room). I'm not sure why the xdrives have non-staggered rims.

Good question. I started a thread on Bimmerpost on whether you could run staggered tires on 550ix. I have staggered tires on my E60 550i and like the look. One person responded and said it was a bad idea, would mess up the all wheel drive, another responded from Sweden that his 550ix M sport had staggered tires. I was hoping mine would have staggered tires, but it didn't.

dunderhi
01-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Yes. If the dealership doesn't have one, I will bring a scale. It will be the weight of the wheel and tire together. I don't intend to replace the factory RFTs until April, (plan on Pilot Sport PS2 nonRFTs), so for now just stroring the tires on rims.

Great! I should be able to get the tire weight from TireRack and subtract it off the total. Also, I'm interested in the staggered idea on a xDrive too, that would make for a nice look. :thumbup:

Four by Six
01-20-2011, 07:55 AM
would mess up the all wheel drive

This is just a guess, but I don't think staggered wheels would mess up the xdrive. If traction from left to right wheel changed, it might, but there is still left/right symmetry. Front to back traction is measured anyway and adjusted for, so no issues there. If the diameter of the wheel assembly changed, it might confuse the computer, but I think the bigger tire is just lower profile and wider, not a different outer diameter. However, when I think about the cost of buying all new non-RF tires and new rear wheels, I might as well buy a whole new set of wheel/tires, though I would lose the OEM look. I will probably just keep whatever comes on the car.

Can't wait to see your pics! Especially the perf grill and carbon rear spoiler!

Needsdecaf
01-20-2011, 09:49 AM

There are a lot of options now better and / or cheaper than PS2's.

dunderhi
01-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Tires are 245/40/19 all around. Some posts from 550ix M sport owners in Europe say that rears are 275/35/19 there, like on 550i, but not on mine.

For the 19's you get:

245/40R19 Diameter 26.72
275/35R19 Diameter 26.58

which yields a half a percent difference, but with a 20" set-up:

245/35R20 Diameter 26.75
285/30R20 Diameter 26.73

which is 3/4 of a tenth of a percent difference.

Late addition for another option:

245/45R18 Diameter 26.68
275/40R18 Diameter 26.66