PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Google maps/BMW assist?

highyo
01-19-2011, 08:46 AM
i have set up my account and continue to receive "message succesfully sent to car"! to no avail. maybe i'm doing something wrong? something tells me that my old 535 is getting tons of new messages because they have not switched me over...

anyone else experience the same issues?

BimmerUKF10
01-19-2011, 08:52 AM
It works fine for me, although it sometimes takes a while (up to a day) to go through to the car. Just depends how busy the Google servers are I guess.

highyo
01-19-2011, 09:09 AM
It works fine for me, although it sometimes takes a while (up to a day) to go through to the car. Just depends how busy the Google servers are I guess.

yes as i suspected i think this is an issue of not bringing over the old account from my e60 to the f10. was just wondering if google connection was down completely, now i will go fight BMW. thanks guys!

brott
01-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Works great for me.....info hits the car within minutes, however did have to call BMW Assist to confirm the correct e-mail was setup in their system. :thumbup:

highyo
01-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Works great for me.....info hits the car within minutes, however did have to call BMW Assist to confirm the correct e-mail was setup in their system. :thumbup:

yeah unfortunately i have gone through that process. back to the drawing board!

Tried it a couple of times and it worked flawlessly. Great feature.
I did not measure how long before it got to the car.

Now we (in NA) need the iPhone app that allows us to send it directly from the iPhone "on the fly". It's easier to find certain things on the iPhone's Google map then using the car's GPS address entry system.

jsf1993
01-19-2011, 08:59 PM
yeah unfortunately i have gone through that process. back to the drawing board!

You're not the only one with the problem. It won't work for me either....I've been on the phone with BMW Assist and BMW Customer Service.....Now, I'm being told that I may need a software upgrade, but my service manager is not confident that will solve the problem. BMW Customer Service admitted to me that BMW has been having problems with Google for the past several months. I too have been frustrated by this. But, then I remind myself that it's not the end of the world.

shergill
01-20-2011, 12:34 AM
Is this feature avail in the US?

nosnoop
01-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Is this feature avail in the US?

Yes, it works well in US and Canada.

highyo
01-20-2011, 05:05 AM
You're not the only one with the problem. It won't work for me either....I've been on the phone with BMW Assist and BMW Customer Service.....Now, I'm being told that I may need a software upgrade, but my service manager is not confident that will solve the problem. BMW Customer Service admitted to me that BMW has been having problems with Google for the past several months. I too have been frustrated by this. But, then I remind myself that it's not the end of the world.

caps lock didn't work. back to square 1. will be on with BMW assist again soon. oh well. you're right, it's not the end of the world, but i got used to it with the E60. it's MUCH easier than inputing while you drive etc.

eyesight1
01-20-2011, 06:03 AM
Works great for me. I tried it a few times just for fun and within minutes the car received the maps. Great feature!

highyo
01-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Works great for me. I tried it a few times just for fun and within minutes the car received the maps. Great feature!

thanks for rubbing it in

pkfinman
01-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Mine works on my 535 as well Highyo, you are going to BMW Assist and messages to find it, correct?

johnbmw6
01-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Google maps is great and the routes sent via BMW Connected drive WORK now, they were crap.
However google search is very poor and has not been improved from the start of 2010:(
It's NOT comprehensive just limited.

barrycp
01-20-2011, 05:24 PM
I have had the same problem. Was sending to the car with no problem, than it just stopped working. Took me multiple calls to BMW assist until i finally got a hold with someone that had experience with this issue. It was a simple fix for me. Hopefully it is for you as well. If you have multiple bmw assist accounts or have had a previous assist account, from time during an update they can get mixed up. In my case I had a 2007 530i with assist. Even though it did not have the the google maps function somehow the wires got crossed. while on the phone, the assist rep wiped out the old account and voila i am back in business!

Let me know if this is applicable to you and if it works.

highyo
01-21-2011, 04:32 AM
I have had the same problem. Was sending to the car with no problem, than it just stopped working. Took me multiple calls to BMW assist until i finally got a hold with someone that had experience with this issue. It was a simple fix for me. Hopefully it is for you as well. If you have multiple bmw assist accounts or have had a previous assist account, from time during an update they can get mixed up. In my case I had a 2007 530i with assist. Even though it did not have the the google maps function somehow the wires got crossed. while on the phone, the assist rep wiped out the old account and voila i am back in business!

Let me know if this is applicable to you and if it works.

Thank you barry i will work on it this weekend (my understanding is that you need to call from the car) and hopefully we can start fresh. I love this feature.

Needsdecaf
01-21-2011, 05:57 AM
Question on this: If I go on Google maps and customize my route by dragging it to the location that I want, will that route show up in the Nav? Or does it just take the destination and use it's own logic to figure it out.

If the former, a good (and easy) way around wonky routing characteristics for routes known in advance. Especially as most often I'm doing that anyway even on my computer to avoid known traffic problems. For instance, going from DC metro up to Eastern PA, Google Maps (as well as most nav systems) want me to take 495 / 95 up. But that subjects you to multiple construction zones as well as weekend East Coast 95 traffic. Going up Rt. 15 through Gettysburg then Harrisburg might be 30 miles longer, but it ends up being about an hour shorter nontheless.

x5 '08
01-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Can anyone provide me with the steps necessary to set this up in my car? I have not used it yet, nor the bmw assist.

Thanks,

laser
01-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Question on this: If I go on Google maps and customize my route by dragging it to the location that I want, will that route show up in the Nav? Or does it just take the destination and use it's own logic to figure it out.

If the former, a good (and easy) way around wonky routing characteristics for routes known in advance. Especially as most often I'm doing that anyway even on my computer to avoid known traffic problems. For instance, going from DC metro up to Eastern PA, Google Maps (as well as most nav systems) want me to take 495 / 95 up. But that subjects you to multiple construction zones as well as weekend East Coast 95 traffic. Going up Rt. 15 through Gettysburg then Harrisburg might be 30 miles longer, but it ends up being about an hour shorter nontheless.

I'm pretty sure all you are sending is the destination address, not the route.

Can send a "way point" like Gettysburg in addition to the final destination address as a way to accomplish what you are wanting to do.

tdepetra
01-21-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm pretty sure all you are sending is the destination address, not the route.

Can send a "way point" like Gettysburg in addition to the final destination address as a way to accomplish what you are wanting to do.

I agree. Also, with the dynamic routing and live traffic feature enabled, my nav picks the fastest route around congestion whether or not I used Google maps or just entered an address myself. it redirects me maybe 1/3 of the time on all routes, based on traffic, and I've learned it is almost always right. The few times it has been wrong, it's been terribly wrong (as in, flawed map data from the provider). Even though I can use my iPhone or Garmin systems, I use my Nav in the car almost all the time because of the traffic feature.

Needsdecaf
01-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Phooey.

Yes, I could do intermediate destinations. That's what I usually end up doing.

barrycp
01-21-2011, 11:14 AM
I called from the car a bunch of times and the only time that i got resolve was when i called from outside of the car.

highyo
01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
I called from the car a bunch of times and the only time that i got resolve was when i called from outside of the car.

what number did you call?

barrycp
01-21-2011, 01:38 PM
1-888-333-6118

highyo
01-21-2011, 01:55 PM
1-888-333-6118

Thanks Barry, I gave them a shot and hopefully will have some satisfaction!

groundeffect
02-12-2011, 02:49 PM
From the Google maps site..

What if I don't want my BMW to receive destinations from Google Maps?
Yes, Google MyInfo can be disabled for your BMW*. Disabling MyInfo will prevent destinations from being transferred to your BMW, but will still allow the use of all other BMW Assist services.

Make sure Myinfo is selected on!

quackbury
02-12-2011, 02:57 PM
thanks for rubbing it in

Google-to-car works perfectly on both my M3 and my X5D, and I use it 3-4 times a week.

Between this and the tires, ever think someone's trying to tell you something? Just sayin.

Beckster69
02-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Had the same problem, it seemed my old 2008 was the issue. Most BMW assist people don't have a clue on how to solve. I would demand them to open a ticket so back office Corp handles the issue. Once I did that a few days it worked. Love the feature

highyo
02-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Google-to-car works perfectly on both my M3 and my X5D, and I use it 3-4 times a week.

Between this and the tires, ever think someone's trying to tell you something? Just sayin.

google maps functionality all set, as you can see, this is from almost a month ago. The tires i will put on goodyear, not BMW's fault they suck.

What's your problem quack? still upset about the Pats getting their season ended by the Jets?

Slaymaster
02-12-2011, 04:07 PM
google maps functionality all set, as you can see, this is from almost a month ago. The tires i will put on goodyear, not BMW's fault they suck.

What's your problem quack? still upset about the Pats getting their season ended by the Jets?

Ouch! That's going to leave a mark! :rofl: By chance, have you tried using the button on the overhead console and contact BMW that way? I also had a E60 and setup the new account this way. Double check to see if the car VIN and email address registered to your account is correct. Good luck! :thumbup:

highyo
02-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Ouch! That's going to leave a mark! :rofl: By chance, have you tried using the button on the overhead console and contact BMW that way? I also had a E60 and setup the new account this way. Double check to see if the car VIN and email address registered to your account is correct. Good luck! :thumbup:

i called the BMW assist number from outside the car (1-888-333-6118) and they fixed it in a jiffy.

as for the jets, i'm a giant fan, but i was rooting hard for them to destroy pretty Tom's MVP season. that was my favorite game of the playoffs.. well, packers beating the eagles was pretty therapeutic too!

Slaymaster
02-12-2011, 04:50 PM
i called the BMW assist number from outside the car (1-888-333-6118) and they fixed it in a jiffy.

as for the jets, i'm a giant fan, but i was rooting hard for them to destroy pretty Tom's MVP season. that was my favorite game of the playoffs.. well, packers beating the eagles was pretty therapeutic too!

Too funny, I'm also a die hard Giants fan. Little Tom looked a little disheveled and frustrated as he did when the Giants D knocked him down a few times during our last Superbowl win against the Pats. The key to Brady is getting to him. I give more credit to the Pat's offensive line for protecting him and giving him the MVP year he had this past season.

quackbury
02-13-2011, 08:59 AM

Why do you folks in fly-over country always assume we like Brady? Personally, I'm much more of a Wes Welker fan. He has great feet.

Anyway, the 2012 season is going to be a huge anticlimax, now that Rex Blowhard has guaranteed the Jets repeat as Super Bowl Champions. Guess I need to find a new sport to watch - maybe one where pretty boy athletes have their GF's feed them popcorn on national TV?

Evil335i
03-04-2011, 04:04 PM
highyo i been having troubles with google maps since day one! have did you resolve this problem? Everything is fully setup & active...i still cant receive the maps from google. i probably called google maps about 7 times. :(

nyranger74
03-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Why do you folks in fly-over country always assume we like Brady? Personally, I'm much more of a Wes Welker fan. He has great feet.

Anyway, the 2012 season is going to be a huge anticlimax, now that Rex Blowhard has guaranteed the Jets repeat as Super Bowl Champions. Guess I need to find a new sport to watch - maybe one where pretty boy athletes have their GF's feed them popcorn on national TV?

You don't get more pretty boy than Tom Brady.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

highyo
03-04-2011, 05:45 PM
highyo i been having troubles with google maps since day one! have did you resolve this problem? Everything is fully setup & active...i still cant receive the maps from google. i probably called google maps about 7 times. :(

Did you call the 800 number? Maybe try ALL CAPS for ur email address?

jsf1993
03-04-2011, 09:20 PM

I finally got this fixed in my 535 x drive. Had to bring it in to the dealership for a software update and I-drive reset. Works well now.

Gsearles
03-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Hope we can all get this working. Sounds like using Google Maps on iPhone gives better routes than the built-in Nav system huh?

Greg

Evil335i
03-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Did you call the 800 number? Maybe try ALL CAPS for ur email address?

Yes...like 7 times they said everything from there end is fully setup & active. They said they dont know why i cant receive it. When they send me a map from i guess there system it works but from google it doesnt.

I finally got this fixed in my 535 x drive. Had to bring it in to the dealership for a software update and I-drive reset. Works well now.

oh ic. Maybe ill do that when i go in for service next time.