PDA

View Full Version : Battery meter

bimluva
01-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Dumb question : how does one read the battery meter on the dash? Mine seems to have a blue indicator going to full and then back.

Needsdecaf
01-19-2011, 09:25 AM
It's not a battery meter. It's telling you when you are charging your battery.

TJPark01
01-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Brake Energy Regeneration
To supply a battery with electrical energy, the generator (alternator) is usually driven using engine power, which requires fuel. With Brake Energy Regeneration, the generator produces electricity when the driver brakes or takes a foot off the accelerator. Kinetic energy that was previously unharnessed is transformed into electrical energy, then fed into the battery. In this way, electricity is generated without consuming fuel.
MODEL HIGHLIGHTS (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2011/5/535iSedan/ModelHighlights/535iSedanPerformance.aspx)

Needsdecaf
01-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Brake Energy Regeneration

MODEL HIGHLIGHTS (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2011/5/535iSedan/ModelHighlights/535iSedanPerformance.aspx)

I refuse to call it Brake Energy Regeneration. LOL. But "Coasting Vehicle Energy Regeneration" doesn't quite roll off the tongue nor sound quite as green.

TJPark01
01-19-2011, 10:25 AM
I refuse to call it Brake Energy Regeneration. LOL. But "Coasting Vehicle Energy Regeneration" doesn't quite roll off the tongue nor sound quite as green.

It's a bit of a misnomer, in that it's more associated with Hybrid's. But it's inline with BMW's baffling nomenclature:
TwinPower Turbo

Needsdecaf
01-19-2011, 10:33 AM
It's a bit of a misnomer, in that it's more associated with Hybrid's. But it's inline with BMW's baffling nomenclature:
TwinPower Turbo

Yeah, that's a good one.

3.0L I-6 with Twin Turbos. What do we put on the engine cover? Zilch.

3.0L I-6 with Twin Scroll Turbo. What do we put on the engine cover? Twin-power turbo.

Then again, I love the x25, x28, x30, x35 designation for the 3.0L I-6. LOL.

bimluva
01-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the info but I still don't see why I need to know when it's recharging.

ihumphrey
01-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the info but I still don't see why I need to know when it's recharging.

You don't, It is a gee whiz feature...

TJPark01
01-20-2011, 05:20 PM
It supposed to make you feel like you're being efficient. You can turn it off if you like, through I-drive.

Rafa
01-20-2011, 06:49 PM
It supposed to make you feel like you're being efficient. You can turn it off if you like, through I-drive.

I did not know you could turn it off. Not that I will, I like the feature and passengers have asked me what the display means, but how do you turn it off?

markl53
01-20-2011, 06:52 PM
I did not know you could turn it off. Not that I will, I like the feature and passengers have asked me what the display means, but how do you turn it off?

It's not just the battery part, you can turn off the whole mpg/battery red/blue gauge display. I had driven one demo that wasn't showing the gauges and I thought they had dropped the feature :). Later I found out it was switchable. I saw it on iDrive once, I think it's under settings, one of the checkbox items to display or not. I'll try to find it in the manual.

UPDATE: OK, I think it's the "range/consumption" item. Go to Settings->Info Display->Additional Indicators. There you'll see a list of check box items.

Rafa
01-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Thank you for the info, markl53. I'll switch it off just to see how clean the whole display looks.

Yeah, I did not think that just the battery segment turned off, but thanks, I appreciate the observation.

ProRail
01-20-2011, 08:31 PM
TwinPower Turbo

Hybrid's what?