PDA

View Full Version : Wind noise heard from the front windshield

TheXMan
01-28-2004, 12:18 AM
I just bought the '04 X5 3.0 two week ago. Last weekend, I was just driving about 60mph with the stereo off. I then heard the wind noise (quite loud) coming from the front windshield. I checked all the windows and sunroof to make sure they were tightly closed and they were. The wind noise was sure from the front windshield. I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet. Has anyone experineced the same problem? Thanks!

tototisha
01-28-2004, 07:37 PM
I just bought the '04 X5 3.0 two week ago. Last weekend, I was just driving about 60mph with the stereo off. I then heard the wind noise (quite loud) coming from the front windshield. I checked all the windows and sunroof to make sure they were tightly closed and they were. The wind noise was sure from the front windshield. I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet. Has anyone experineced the same problem? Thanks!

I have a same problem. I took it to a dealer and they were saying it was coming from sunroof. So i drove mine with masking tape around front winshield and sunroof. Same.
I think bad door seal or something. I haven't had time to take it back to dealer, yet. I will find out. I'll post a note if I find a resolution.

AndDown
01-28-2004, 10:14 PM

Check your windshield wiper positioning, esp the driver's side - lift it up and then set it back. I've read that if it's not in the correct position that it will create windnoise. Also, I've read that the wind passing by the outside rearview mirrors can also create some noise. Do a search on this board and on the "other" board. :D

Edit: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e53/forum.php?postid=3404540&page=1

SASTUD
02-23-2004, 07:56 AM

turn your radio back up

winks
08-01-2005, 10:12 AM
I just brought my X3 in to have the windshield looked at. I first noticed the high pitched whining noise when I picked it up in Germany and drove it at high speeds and over 60 mph in high winds.
When it got back to the states I brought it in to have the sunroof adjusted. There was still noise. Finally figured out it's coming from just above the rear view mirror. When I press the glass there, the whining sound changes pitch and you can feel it vibrate slightly.
To cover myself, I took a video and made it into a quicktime movie to show the dealer. They still wanted to give me a hard time since they said they wouldn't fix it if it happens at speeds over the speed limit. (It also happens when there are high winds at lower speeds.) In talking with the service tech he said that the problem exists on other BMW models and that it may need a silicone bead to be run along the top of the windshield. We'll see if that fixes it. At least he was up front with me, I've been less than pleased with my dealer's service manager. The tech watched the video, the manager could care less. :confused:

Daniel B
08-01-2005, 01:13 PM
I just brought my X3 in to have the windshield looked at. I first noticed the high pitched whining noise when I picked it up in Germany and drove it at high speeds and over 60 mph in high winds.
When it got back to the states I brought it in to have the sunroof adjusted. There was still noise. Finally figured out it's coming from just above the rear view mirror. When I press the glass there, the whining sound changes pitch and you can feel it vibrate slightly.
To cover myself, I took a video and made it into a quicktime movie to show the dealer. They still wanted to give me a hard time since they said they wouldn't fix it if it happens at speeds over the speed limit. (It also happens when there are high winds at lower speeds.) In talking with the service tech he said that the problem exists on other BMW models and that it may need a silicone bead to be run along the top of the windshield. We'll see if that fixes it. At least he was up front with me, I've been less than pleased with my dealer's service manager. The tech watched the video, the manager could care less. :confused:

Tell them you are going to Germany, they got free speed there and you dont want that wind noise!
I mean shouldnt a BMW run nice in Germany!

UK X5
08-22-2005, 03:14 AM
Hi mate wee bit info from Scotland....

I had the same problem and eventualy figure it out.

I like youself heard wind noise from windsheeld area, turned out it was comming from the door. I removed the window rubber seal from the top patd of the door and found that the door pannel its self had small gap in it. There were screw holes but no screws in it, i popped a few screws i had lying around and it fixed it good and proper.

Open the door put the, drivers window down and pull out the rubber window seal and you'll see what i mean. Local UK BMW dealer said the pannels were pressed together and standard proceedure was not to bolt or screw them.

Hope this helps, let me know if it fixes it

Cheers

Mad, ginger, Scots man with a kit and a haggis :bigpimp:

Dena
11-15-2005, 09:43 PM
I had a new windshield installed by a BMW dealer and my 740i was never the same. I never had the noise before. They have replaced it 3 times and the noise is just as bad. This time I had the service mgr. drive mine then we drove another 740i on the lot. That one did the same thing. Do all 1997, 740i's have this type of problem? When you get to around 80mph it's like you have a window cracked open. Any input would be great.
Dena

x54.4blue
11-16-2005, 07:03 PM
I have a 2005 X5 and it is very quiet. I have had it up to about 100 and not one sound.

Something is wrong with your X5

sevodoc
11-16-2005, 10:07 PM
your x5 is fine.
i have a 2005 4.4 and do get some wind noise when driving fast on the freeway. yes it seems to come from the front, but not one particular 'leak' in the winshield. it's a high profile, not particularly aerodynamic car, so you will get some wind noise at high speeds. it's NOT perfect, nothing is! to compare i drove my friends cayenne turbo from LA to Mexico (Mexicali) and you should have heard THAT wind noise. unless you hear a whistle or rush of air coming in from your winshield somewhere... the other poster is right: turn up your radio.

hope that helps.
:thumbup:

x54.4blue
11-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Once again I get no wind noise at speeds up to 100.

Daniel B
11-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Once again I get no wind noise at speeds up to 100.

Can you do a video so we can compare?

bluequail
11-19-2005, 06:11 PM
I, too experience the noise which I find aggravating. I haven't taken it to the dealer, but when I do, I'll take this page with me. I think for 49K I should have a silent ride!

sevodoc
11-19-2005, 06:38 PM
true.. although most every car has some sort of wind noise at freeway speeds. what annoys me is the whistling noise i hear from the engine when the a/c fan is on. ive posted on this site before and it seems too be a common condition. too bad, such nice cars ruined with funky noises here and there. it's like having a really nice house with a noisy neighbor.. can't enjoy it.

bluequail
11-19-2005, 07:06 PM
This is my 5th BMW and the first with any noise even at high speeds - yet I'm not very keen on taking off the rubber window seal to solve the problem!

Gixxer27
12-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Have any of you checked your windshield wipers? My '03 X5 has this same noise but if I
adjust/move the wipers it goes away. IMHO it's just a bad design of the wiper arms that is
causing the noise.

Not to mention you can't raise the passenger side wiper all the way up to clean the windshield
because it hits the hood, IMO that's bad design.

e90m3
12-11-2005, 07:26 PM
but for a $21,000 SUV my used Lexus RX300 is absolutely trouble free and you can almost hear a pin drop at 70mph. I hardly have to turn up the radio. Sorry about your X. BMW service can really suck!!!!!!!!!

Andrew_K
11-13-2008, 11:42 AM
to e90m3

Japanese cars are reliable indeed, I used to have Honda. However, I enjoy my bimmers better, for they have more character. This forum is about BMW, not Lexus.

sunnysmith
11-28-2008, 08:46 AM
1 of my 3 X5's has the wind noise...i've had all the rubber replaced and nothing helps... it was in an accident and the dirvers door was replaced so I assumed it was never going to be the same. I'm not sure if it's the door or the windshield. After reading UK X5's fix, I did what he said and am waiting for the caulk to dry. Didn't see where screw holes might have been only where the door frame itself comes together and there was a gap right where the noise sounds like it's coming from. Wish me luck~