PDA

View Full Version : Has BMW fixed the electric steering?

Cscott
01-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi everyone my lease is up the end of april. I have a 2008 535i sport and i don't know if i will get the new model or keep the one have. I have had 2 HPFP replaced already.

I'm concerned about the new steering, car & driver said they are hopefull because all it needs is software update. I'm worried about keeping my car because HPFP but i like it alot.

I would love some advice.

DXK
01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
"Also, BMW has shifted to electric-assist power steering, without much sacrifice in road feel, although in our slalom we could feel the artificial boost in effort. " Road & Track today 550i
Maybe theirs already had an update? Maybe one is coming? Nobody knows at this point

1HOT BMR
01-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi everyone my lease is up the end of april. I have a 2008 535i sport and i don't know if i will get the new model or keep the one have. I have had 2 HPFP replaced already.

I'm concerned about the new steering, car & driver said they are hopefull because all it needs is software update. I'm worried about keeping my car because HPFP but i like it alot.

I would love some advice.

IMO there is nothing that needs fixing, it's just perfect the way it is. My advice is for you to go and Drive the car and then make a decision - if you don't like it then buy something you like. The guy who tested and wrote about the steering at C&D either doesn't know what he is talking about or he is just repeating what he read somewhere else :D or, maybe he tested a defective car :dunno:

Here are my views, including the steering after 1800 miles of driving my new 550: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509463

highyo
01-19-2011, 05:00 PM
IMO there is nothing that needs fixing, it's just perfect the way it is. My advice is for you to go and Drive the car and then make a decision - if you don't like it then buy something you like. The guy who tested and wrote about the steering at C&D either doesn't know what he is talking about or he is just repeating what he read somewhere else :D or, maybe he tested a defective car :dunno:

Here are my views, including the steering after 1800 miles of driving my new 550: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509463

i had a 2010 hpfp issue with my 535i and BMW was helpful in taking me out of that car into my new 550ix. i love it more than i loved my 535i, which was a bunch. test drive an x drive along with a RWD and see if you can tell the difference, Xdrive has a hydraulic/electronic assist tiller, i believe. RWD is all electronic

SANguru
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
like others have said, the steering is just fine.

vortexx
01-19-2011, 05:32 PM
I also feel it does not need fixing. Overall, you will find the new 5 series is leagues ahead of your 2008 535. I recently posted my opinions on my new 550i M-Sport compared to my previous 2008 550i M-Sport. If you have not read it, you may find it helpful. Here is a link:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512024

DXK
01-20-2011, 05:28 PM
I've also just returned e60 535i and just picked up 550i. I drove it around town, suburbs, and highways and felt that the steering was fine. I have no complains so far. Mine is week 48 build the same as SANguru's and no grinding so far either.

solstice
01-20-2011, 06:30 PM
The E60 535i is a remarkable car. It's one of the best ( imo the best ) mixes of fun to drive and refinement in it's class. Try to get an F10 home for a couple of hours or overnight before deciding. If you don't get that wow feeling from the actual driving experience that the E60 gives I'd recommend that you keep the E60. Many cars have refinement but not many drives like the best bmws.

Rafa
01-20-2011, 07:28 PM
The steering feels fine to me: nicely weighed, precise, responsive and communicative enough. Of course, others might prefer a different feel, so the best way to find out whether one likes the steering of the F10 is to drive one as extensively as possible. To me, the steering of the F10 feels sportier than that of the MB, and much better and sportier than that of the Lexus. My wife prefers the steering of her C class MB because it is lighter.